• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unused cover for Amazing Spider-Man #361 + Mark & Randy super cool guys!

29 posts in this topic

Sweet Jesus that commission is INCREDIBLE!!!

Why does Mark not do covers like that anymore?

Hell, why doesnt ANYONE at Marvel do covers like that anymore?

Your commission puts EVERY USM Cover to absolute SHAME!

Thanks!

I sent a scan to Emberlin last night that he was able to print out as blue line on some coverstock and will be inking for me. VERY happy to be able to have both the pencils and the inks.

That is a terrific commission and a great unused original cover. Was that unused cover used anywhere else? Perhaps in soliciting ASM 361 or as an interior pin-up? It is really a great piece!

I don't believe so. I'll have to look into why the original cover was rejected.

Sweet Jesus that commission is INCREDIBLE!!!

Why does Mark not do covers like that anymore?

Hell, why doesnt ANYONE at Marvel do covers like that anymore?

Your commission puts EVERY USM Cover to absolute SHAME!

Thanks!

I sent a scan to Emberlin last night that he was able to print out as blue line on some coverstock and will be inking for me. VERY happy to be able to have both the pencils and the inks.

EVEN BETTER!!!!

That is a terrific commission and a great unused original cover. Was that unused cover used anywhere else? Perhaps in soliciting ASM 361 or as an interior pin-up? It is really a great piece!

hm does anybody have a copy of the Carnage TPB laying around? It may have been used in the interior art. I don't have my copy anymore.

GORGEOUS! :cloud9::golfclap:

I am not going to tell him he is mistaken, but somewhere along the lines maybe Marvel said lets do a 3rd and then changed their minds.

750K is a number we need to remember down the road because this book is going to get hot soon and be another big Marvel book in a year or two. I have to tell myself that occasionally because I have amassed a few nice copies.

Thanks for sharing that information.

Why are we taking this for grail when he said there were 3 printings?

GORGEOUS! :cloud9::golfclap:

I am not going to tell him he is mistaken, but somewhere along the lines maybe Marvel said lets do a 3rd and then changed their minds.

750K is a number we need to remember down the road because this book is going to get hot soon and be another big Marvel book in a year or two. I have to tell myself that occasionally because I have amassed a few nice copies.

Thanks for sharing that information.

Why are we taking this for grail when he said there were 3 printings?

Emberlin is mistaken.

Not only did the book NOT go to 3 printings, it did NOT sell 750,000 copies.

Common sense has to be used: 750,000 copies sold would mean that there were roughly 900,000-1 million copies printed, because the newsstand always returns *something,* Amazing Spiderman has *never* even come CLOSE to printing a million copies of ANY issue. And if they had printed a million copies, there would have been plenty of copies in circulation to more than cover demand...which means they wouldn't have gone to a second printing.

It must be remembered that this book was printed and on the stands in February of 1992. Now, granted, there had been crazy printruns....at the time, they were printing a million copies of Jim Lee's X-Men...but in February of 1992, McFarlane was long gone, and Amazing had simply been chugging along. Carnage was simply another character which took the comic buying public by surprise, which resulted in sellouts (read: not enough copies to go around) and an immediate second printing of not only #361, but #362 as well.

Immediate second or more printings always means that they didn't print enough in the first place.

They probably sold around 350,000-400,000 copies, which is nothing to sneeze at, but not anywhere near 750,000, which would have been more than the entire print run plus another 35% or so.

Look at the numbers: the numbers for two years had been in the 350,000 copies sold range. The SOO printed in #360 (which would have covered up to about issue #356, so only a few months before #361) shows a sell-through of 340,000 copies, on a just a bit less than 500,000 total print run. Nothing would much have changed going into #361.

And so, not only did you have unmet demand (which means they didn't print enough copies) and a sellout for #361, but you also had the same situation for #362, and both went to a second printing shortly after #363 came out.

INCLUDING the second printing, total copies for #361 probably sold in the neighborhood of 500,000 total copies.

Then, the next year, the SOO in #375, you see a big jump...and this makes sense, considering in that year you had the madness of Carnage, PLUS the 30th Anniversary hologram covers, which were also a huge hit. It was a big year for Spidey, and orders steadily increased throughout the year, in concert with the general ramp up in the entire industry.

It would be another full year before print runs got totally ridiculous, and this was reflected in Amazing Spiderman as well (which is why copies of #375 are EVERYWHERE.)

For reference:

http://www.comichron.com/titlespotlights/amazingspiderman.html

As in the other thread, I revise just a bit...#365 *may* have had a million+ print run, propelled by the madness surrounding the very recent Carnage issues, but that would be the only one, and it still rather doubtful (as it would mean surrounding issues would have to be massively low to make the average.)