• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unused cover for Amazing Spider-Man #361 + Mark & Randy super cool guys!

29 posts in this topic

*I posted this in the OA forum but wanted to share with the copper fans*

So I got my commission done by Mark Bagley and the next step was to get the inks done by Randy Emberlin.

I had requested a modified cover recreation of ASM #361 with Venom instead of Carnage, and Mark hit it out of the park. I receive the commission about a week after sending payment. Mark is VERY fast and hardworking.

After receiving in hand I sent a scan to Randy to inquire about getting it inked. I got this story in return -

" It's a funny thing, but this is a special cover to me for more reasons than one… It was my turn to get the cover and I sold it for the highest price that I had ever sold a cover for at the time. But more important…it was NOT the original cover to ASM #361!! The first version of the cover that we did was rejected after I had inked it completely! In fact, it was the only cover during my 5 year run on Amazing that we EVER had rejected! You should have seen the first cover, complete with a real background of rubble and destruction. If only I had kept that cover instead of sending it in to Marvel to get paid my measly fee. However, I made an excellent quality full sized print of it to show off for historical purposes, since that was one of the highest selling regular issues, without any advanced hype from marvel! ASM #361 as you probably know, sold over 750,000 copies and went to 3 printings, because there was no way anyone could have guessed in advance what the sales would be. Have you ever seen the original cover?? It might make a nice pair."

I searched around and couldn't find anything regarding this cover. A few emails later I received a picture of the original cover. Randy seems like a genuinely nice guy who likes to talk to his fans and tell a cool story.

Anyone ever seen this or heard of this before? I thought this was a pretty huge find for copper age fans.

Here is my commission -

b317cb1f-faa5-4833-88a7-0624922c4537_zps8d7aeb52.jpg

And here is the original cover to ASM #361 -

408511FA-FF3F-41B5-82BE-E030A0F34D81_zpsbtnqxv53.png

So I got my commission done by Mark Bagley and the next step was to get the inks done by Randy Emberlin.

I had requested a modified cover recreation of ASM #361 with Venom instead of Carnage, and Mark hit it out of the park. I receive the commission about a week after sending payment. Mark is VERY fast and hardworking.

After receiving in hand I sent a scan to Randy to inquire about getting it inked. I got this story in return -

" It's a funny thing, but this is a special cover to me for more reasons than one… It was my turn to get the cover and I sold it for the highest price that I had ever sold a cover for at the time. But more important…it was NOT the original cover to ASM #361!! The first version of the cover that we did was rejected after I had inked it completely! In fact, it was the only cover during my 5 year run on Amazing that we EVER had rejected! You should have seen the first cover, complete with a real background of rubble and destruction. If only I had kept that cover instead of sending it in to Marvel to get paid my measly fee. However, I made an excellent quality full sized print of it to show off for historical purposes, since that was one of the highest selling regular issues, without any advanced hype from marvel! ASM #361 as you probably know, sold over 750,000 copies and went to 3 printings, because there was no way anyone could have guessed in advance what the sales would be. Have you ever seen the original cover?? It might make a nice pair."

I searched around and couldn't find anything regarding this cover. A few emails later I received a picture of the original cover. Randy seems like a genuinely nice guy who likes to talk to his fans and tell a cool story.

Anyone ever seen this or heard of this before? I thought this was a pretty huge find for copper age fans.

Here is my commission -

That is extremely cool. (worship)

I am not going to tell him he is mistaken, but somewhere along the lines maybe Marvel said lets do a 3rd and then changed their minds.

750K is a number we need to remember down the road because this book is going to get hot soon and be another big Marvel book in a year or two. I have to tell myself that occasionally because I have amassed a few nice copies.

Thanks for sharing that information.

750K is a number we need to remember down the road because this book is going to get hot soon and be another big Marvel book in a year or two. I have to tell myself that occasionally because I have amassed a few nice copies.

We have been selling it here for $40 in 9.0+ for the past couple of years. There is definitely demand for it, although with that print run the price gains will be stifled a bit IMHO.

We have been selling it here for $40 in 9.0+ for the past couple of years. There is definitely demand for it, although with that print run the price gains will be stifled a bit IMHO.

The second print is where it's at. :gossip:

The second print is where it's at. :gossip:

I am not selling those.....yet. ;)

Here is my commission -

And here is the original cover to ASM #361 -

408511FA-FF3F-41B5-82BE-E030A0F34D81_zpsbtnqxv53.png

That is a terrific commission and a great unused original cover. Was that unused cover used anywhere else? Perhaps in soliciting ASM 361 or as an interior pin-up? It is really a great piece!