• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculative winners and losers 2013

104 posts in this topic

Profit is profit

$2 or $200.

Selling to only 10-20% of a market to me is insane.

Tomatoe Tomato

At $2, you have to make sure you're actually BEING profitable.

Like I said, if you spend $3.25 to ride the train to the store, you're immediately in the red if you're working off the one book.

I know Fastball is a seasoned pro and knows what he's doing, but some people don't analyze their expenses closely enough.

Yes, but this is true at the higher end as well as the lower end. Example I've seen high end seller liquidating boxes just like low end sellers do. Costs affect both levels ands its not a perfect equation for anyone. I hate to quote Chuck from Mile High, but if you cant do quick math you are in the wrong hobby. This works for both the buyer and the seller.

If you selling at the lower end you just need to maximize the potential for you to receive books in one sitting. I can go into longer detail about it, but 7 guys will come on here and tell me how I am wrong. I don't have time for that discussion.

Profit is profit

$2 or $200.

Selling to only 10-20% of a market to me is insane.

Tomatoe Tomato

At $2, you have to make sure you're actually BEING profitable.

Like I said, if you spend $3.25 to ride the train to the store, you're immediately in the red if you're working off the one book.

I know Fastball is a seasoned pro and knows what he's doing, but some people don't analyze their expenses closely enough.

And you didn't factor in your time, like someone said, it's also not worth my time to try and flip an individual book for single digit profit. My time (as well as yours) is valuable, whether it's financial that I could put that time into other direct revenue-driving engines; intangible like spending time enjoying my leisure. It's fine if you enjoy making a few bucks off a hobby, nothing wrong with that, but not at the expense of something else.