• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to Superior Spider-Man?

204 posts in this topic

I'm actually really enjoying Superior Spider-Man. I've mentioned it a few times over the years, but I was really hooked with ASM during the Back in Black story. I don't think Spidey stories have been that strong in a long time.

Then BND hit and I drudged through until about 620s, then dropped the book. A few people at work told me I need to pick up Superior, and I finally did and am having fun with it. Hope they keep it going.

I didn't buy a single issue.

Huge Spidey fan, but didn't want to read about Doc Ock running around as him. May have been my loss, but oh well.

I knew they would bring Peter back before the movie came out, and I will start with that issue.

Since Marvel doesn't own the movie rights, I don't think they have any impetus to help the movie's success in any way. Including bringing back PP in time for the movie. IMO changing PP from the movie version might be a smart move by them to screw the movies. Just like how much they have changed the x-men from the movie status quo.

I hope doc Ock stays around for a while.

Seems like a poor way to treat your movie partner if the comic really mattered. But, I doubt the comic (which has sales of what ... 80,000 copies in a good month) has any bearing at all on the movie (which has sales in the millions.) The difference in the audience is so massive, I doubt Sony would even care if the Spider-Man comic was altogether cancelled.

I didn't buy a single issue.

Huge Spidey fan, but didn't want to read about Doc Ock running around as him. May have been my loss, but oh well.

I knew they would bring Peter back before the movie came out, and I will start with that issue.

Since Marvel doesn't own the movie rights, I don't think they have any impetus to help the movie's success in any way. Including bringing back PP in time for the movie. IMO changing PP from the movie version might be a smart move by them to screw the movies. Just like how much they have changed the x-men from the movie status quo.

I hope doc Ock stays around for a while.

Seems like a poor way to treat your movie partner if the comic really mattered. But, I doubt the comic (which has sales of what ... 80,000 copies in a good month) has any bearing at all on the movie (which has sales in the millions.) The difference in the audience is so massive, I doubt Sony would even care if the Spider-Man comic was altogether cancelled.

I think it's really Marvel's dream that some day the movie rights revert back to them. But I think that's a pipe dream at this point. I think there's some sort of "clause" that Fox has to make a spider-man movie every 5 years or Marvel gets the right back. But that's from memory (which can be faulty)

And all I was saying is that the movie coming up really has no bearing on what Marvel does with the character IMO.

so I think we agree =)

Here's my thoughts. You can take it as :idea: or :insane:rantrant

I think Marvel HAS to bring back Peter Parker and will. Then if that's your belief, how would they do it? What power could do that? They're not just going to do a "just kidding...everything that we've written about is all a joke... PP is back"

Here's what I think. I think enough of PP's friends will start to know that this Spider-man/PP is not THE Spider-man/PP (forgive me if this is already happening, I stopped reading when Doc Ock rid himself of PP in his mind). They'll keep working their way up the chain. Then someone powerful like Reed Richards or Dr. Strange will get involved. They'll get some of the Infinity Gems together (Reality Gem? Soul Gem?) and bring PP back. This will all be around the time the Infinity Gauntlet movie is about to be released. Think about the built in advertising/publicity. When ASM #700 came out, I was just getting back into collecting. I remember seeing "Peter Parker is dead" and it made me want to read more Spidey to figure out what the heck is going on. I think any sort of Spidey fan / casual comic book movie fan will go hm and be interested in the Infinity Gems and how they brought back Spidey back. And it'll also give them a better understanding and excitement when the Infinity Gauntlet movie comes out!

Just my :blahblah:

If Professor Warren could clone Gwen Stacey, then he can clone Peter Parker.

Marvel wants to capitalize on the movie, not the other way around.

They benefit when a moviegoer, and potential new customer, decides they want to read the comics. They need to make sure they have something on the shelves that will entice that sort of customer.

They don't need to end Superior, or put Peter back in his own body. But they do need to have something on the shelves that this new customer is familiar with. That could be in the form of a 700.1 issue, or it could be a one shot. There just has to be a good jumping on point. Think about how Image releases character 'Special' issues for the Walking Dead whenever a new character is introduced on the show. Fans of the show can walk into their LCS, learn more about this new character, then maybe start reading the main title.

I saw that and I hope its a red herring. There are literally 1000's of Peter Parker books. A lot of great stuff came out of it but it has been very refreshing to read something new. Think about it it. Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, Plain old Spieder-man, Spidey, Marvel Team-up, a different Spectacular, Marvel Knights, the Thousand, a new Marvel Team-up, Fantastic Four, Avengers of all sorts, and on and on. I understand why they are bringing back Peter Parker but 50 plus years and tons of titles ? lol

There was a time when Marvel was known as the House of Ideas. I think this is why indies are now a third of the market. On the other hand, congrats to all of those who can't live without Peter Parker.

I saw that and I hope its a red herring. There are literally 1000's of Peter Parker books. A lot of great stuff came out of it but it has been very refreshing to read something new. Think about it it. Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, Plain old Spieder-man, Spidey, Marvel Team-up, a different Spectacular, Marvel Knights, the Thousand, a new Marvel Team-up, Fantastic Four, Avengers of all sorts, and on and on. I understand why they are bringing back Peter Parker but 50 plus years and tons of titles ? lol

There was a time when Marvel was known as the House of Ideas. I think this is why indies are now a third of the market. On the other hand, congrats to all of those who can't live without Peter Parker.

100% agree, Superior Spider-man was a breath of fresh air in a stale franchise.

Regardless of how they bring PP back, I hope there's still a Superior Doc Ock book!

And if they cancel Superior Foes of Spider-Man I may freak out. IMO that's one of the top books Marvel is putting out every month.

Regardless of how they bring PP back, I hope there's still a Superior Doc Ock book!

And if they cancel Superior Foes of Spider-Man I may freak out. IMO that's one of the top books Marvel is putting out every month.

Superior Foes is very witty imo. I didn't think about the ripple effect of SSM. I guess they could change it to the Amazing Foes ? Deadly Foes has already been done. It was a good year for the SSM franchise either way.

Superior Foes is very witty imo. I didn't think about the ripple effect of SSM. I guess they could change it to the Amazing Foes ? Deadly Foes has already been done. It was a good year for the SSM franchise either way.

What does it say about Marvel or the current comic readership when the most acclaimed comic to come from Marvel in 2013 featured an aged villain who murdered the title's hero and arguably Marvel's main superhero and took over his body? hm

What does it say about Marvel or the current comic readership when the most acclaimed comic to come from Marvel in 2013 featured an aged villain who murdered the title's hero and arguably Marvel's main superhero and took over his body? hm

It says we are bored with the status quo and the 1000s of issues without potential risk or consequences and the majority of us are no longer pimple faced teens that can relate to the trials and tribulations of a high school student. I personally believe Marvel's readership is aging because Marvel no longer pushes the envelope.

Spider-man as a concept is being done better by Image and Kirkman in Invincible comics imo. Bendis got it right for a short while on Ultimate Spider-man.

I still buy all the Superior Books. I was going to drop the titles after issue ones. I'm one of the minority who hate Stegman.

I could deal with Ramos and Camuncoli but Stegman, ugh. Team up has been good with Checchetto (and the fill-ins)

and Foes is one of the funniest books on the stands (along with Hawkeye and maybe Quantum and Woody). Whatever happens, I've been down with the character again since Slott took over. We'll see what the future brings.

I still buy all the Superior Books. I was going to drop the titles after issue ones. I'm one of the minority who hate Stegman.

I could deal with Ramos and Camuncoli but Stegman, ugh. Team up has been good with Checchetto (and the fill-ins)

and Foes is one of the funniest books on the stands (along with Hawkeye and maybe Quantum and Woody). Whatever happens, I've been down with the character again since Slott took over. We'll see what the future brings.

:gossip: if you like funny books, check out Todd the Ugliest kid from Image