• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Hulk 181

18 posts in this topic

I have a question for the Hulk 181 experts. I'm looking to pick up a relatively affordable copy. If I don't buy a slabbed copy, how risky is it related to altered or completely fake books? Are there telltale signs if there are fakes? Other things to keep in mind when buying a raw copy of this book?

Thanks in advance.

I have a question for the Hulk 181 experts. I'm looking to pick up a relatively affordable copy. If I don't buy a slabbed copy, how risky is it related to altered or completely fake books? Are there telltale signs if there are fakes? Other things to keep in mind when buying a raw copy of this book?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't have the experience detecting restoration (which Im assuming you're referring to), might I suggest buying a very low grade Blue Label slab and cracking it out? (shrug)

As someone else mentioned, a full faked book is rare, and I would hope easy to spot to anyone. With a book of this type of value, it may be worth having someone who's knowledgeable go with you and look at it....or just roll the dice on eBay lol

Either way, welcome to the boards (thumbs u

Thanks for the help. I've been a full fledged lurker for months, but now looking for a little insight. I'm just looking for one that presents well, slabbed or not. It's harder to find a lower grade slab without the price being a little high. That gets me to a raw one, with a few more risks.

Thanks for the help. I've been a full fledged lurker for months, but now looking for a little insight. I'm just looking for one that presents well, slabbed or not. It's harder to find a lower grade slab without the price being a little high. That gets me to a raw one, with a few more risks.

Have you considered placing a WTB listing and describing your requirements on here? There are allot of stellar folks selling on these boards who are not only very reliable and honest but can actually grade accurately as well - many very conservatively I might add.

Part of me is hoping one of those folks just happens to wander into this thread...

They might, but people regularly check the WTB thread. As a fellow noob, if you choose to go the WTB thread, make sure you are serious about buying first, and respond to ALL PMs whether you're interested or not (thumbs u Itll make your life easier lol

My suggestion is to follow well-respected dealers websites. Many of them will have raw copies for sale. You may not get a "bargain", but you can rest assured the book will be an origiinal and they will guarantee there is no restoration.

Dealers such as Bob Storms (highgradecomics.com), Brent Moeshlin (qualitycomix.com), Greg Reece (gregreececomics.com) and Ted Van Liew (superworldcomics.com) all deal with both raw and slabbed books and are all solid dealers that I've dealt with. There are other dealers with good track records, but the ones I mentioned are the ones I've had dealings with.

I would also keep an eye out for a copy in the Marketplace on this very site. There are several excellent collectors and dealers who sell this book on a fairly regular basis. You can check their "kudos" thread for past positive transactions.

Good luck in acquiring the book. (thumbs u

I am a little surprised that nine have popped up on the sale forum over that past few days, though there is one with a cover tear. Also surprised at not seeing many CGCd mid grades floating around.

I'll stick with the search for 181...for now.

When buying an expensive book like this, go with a CGC copy. Buying raw isn't going to save you any money, and may actually cost you more due to a) speculators looking to press the book higher, and b) it being overgraded in the first place.

Books like Hulk 181 is one of the good things about CGC existing.

You two must be stuck in the 80's, when collectors actually bought their comics to read and enjoy. In today's CGC world, no one wants to buy a cover showing the Hulk getting bashed over the head by Wendigo and where Wolvie does a quick pop-in on the last panel.

And when you really think about it, all this "key issue speculation" is really strange circa 2014, as the entire rationale behind it was so comic fans could buy and read back issues of their favorite character, artist, writer, etc. If more people wanted to read older Wolverine stories, then the price went up because dealers were forced to pay higher prices (at least in theory lol ) for new stock.

That's mostly how OS worked (there was some investment/speculation naturally) during the 70's, 80's and into the 90's, until mass market speculation took over and we're still kind of riding that same bizarre wave today, where "key issues" really don't make any sense, or at least not as much as they used to.

Personally speaking, I am finding myself drawn more to issues that were important to me, covers that resonated when I was a kid, characters I liked that may not be hugely popular today, etc. and not being so interested in chasing key issues anymore.

You two must be stuck in the 80's, when collectors actually bought their comics to read and enjoy. In today's CGC world, no one wants to buy a cover showing the Hulk getting bashed over the head by Wendigo and where Wolvie does a quick pop-in on the last panel.

+1 :makepoint: