• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should pedigreed books not be signed?

122 posts in this topic

But those paintings have most likely been signed by the artist and are now damaged! :o

Nope, there is no issue with signing OA, comic, painting or otherwise, as it was done during the creative process. It's the same the cover artist signature printed on the comic.

I'm sure if some drunken artist came along and scrawled his name over a valuable painting he did 20 years ago, the appraiser would denote this as damage and the selling price would drop.

This thread reminds me how much I want to read a book that exclusively discuses comic book pedigrees. :(

Did that ever come out?

Nope.

Is there a link to the "fallout story"?

I don't think so. It just seems like it's taking much longer than expected. To the best of my knowledge, it's still being worked on.

But those paintings have most likely been signed by the artist and are now damaged! :o

Nope, there is no issue with signing OA, comic, painting or otherwise, as it was done during the creative process. It's the same the cover artist signature printed on the comic.

I'm sure if some drunken artist came along and scrawled his name over a painting he did 20 years ago, the appraiser would denote this as damage and the selling price would drop.

So now the placement of the signature is what decides whether it's damage or not? I have plenty of comic book OA that isn't signed by the artist - I see absolutely no problem with having the artist sign those pages if I ever run into them at a show :shrug:

I am absolutely certain if someone setup a bonfire where they were going to burn old master's paintings, the authorities would step in to "protect our culture". Check out that documentary (The Art of the Steal) on the Barne's Collection / modern art appropriation to see how much power they really have.

:roflmao:

-slym

This thread reminds me how much I want to read a book that exclusively discuses comic book pedigrees. :(

Did that ever come out?

Nope.

Is there a link to the "fallout story"?

Whatup Joe? :hi:

Comics are not high art and never will be so to pretend they have cultural status is a moot point. To accord them special status is laughable.

No one will ever step in to protect them

What's there to dislike? It's a beautiful, high grade book with a signature from the guy who actually wrote it :shrug:

Maybe Stan should have taken it to the can and wiped his with it too? After all, he wrote it.

Nevermind, looks like Jam_nyc beat me to it....

He does this anytime anyone says anything remotely negative about SS. I'm not sure why he cares what others think? He's a fan of them. Others are not. It's not like any opinions are going to be changed.
You're right, I do. For one simple reason: I collect comic books and have them signed. Some are submitted for SS some aren't. I don't feel that having someone who had a hand in creating a comic sign it is damaging it. If you would pay attention you would see I've stated this as my point of view. It's what I, as a collector think. I never said anyone had to agree, I simply stated my view. The last time I checked we were still allowed to do that here.

I don't particularly care about what other people think but I'm pretty sick and tired of this worn out debate. You guys sure seem to care about what I think though.

@ Joe_Collector: Your analogy about burning fine art/demolishing a historic building in relation to getting a comic signed is completely ridiculous. Regardless of what book and what grade, pedigree or not, signed or unsigned, the world at large just doesn't (and probably never will) care about what anyone does with any comic book.

That Tales to Astonish is a great looking book with nice signature placement. If it's a book I was in the market for I'd be proud to own it. I'd never even give a second glance at a blue label copy if I was shopping for one.

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll: To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Come on, Overstreet states they are damage, CGC states they are damage - who else is left to convince you?

The Yellow Sig Label is really a Qualified label that gets around the "writing is a defect" rule the same way a Green one does, by not taking it into account and using a specially-colored label.

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Sure, but to CGC when they grade the physical condition of a comic book to assign a "Universal" grade, writing on the cover is considered damage whether it says "Stan Lee", or "Go Steelers!". That's a fact, and not an opinion in any way, shape, or form. (thumbs u

:blahblah: Sorry... you're never going to be able to convince me it's damage because to me it's not. I don't care what Overstreet, CGC, you or anyone else says. :foryou:

Gotcha. It's not damage because you say so. Okay.

Last but not least... Transplant, the king of twisting things out of context. Read what I wrote. I said that it's not damage to me, as in "from my perspective". Not your's, not CGC's, not anyone's but MINE.

What's there to dislike? It's a beautiful, high grade book with a signature from the guy who actually wrote it :shrug:

Maybe Stan should have taken it to the can and wiped his with it too? After all, he wrote it.

Nevermind, looks like Jam_nyc beat me to it....

No sweat, nobody found it funny when I said it either. lol

Bought this one already signed and slabbed but it encompasses a lot of things: Edgar Church Pedigree, best copy of the book on the planet, Gene Colon's first professional work, a well placed signature, and a label color that accentuates the artwork like a well-chosen mat on an art print.

Wings52SS.jpg

Last but not least... Transplant, the king of twisting things out of context. Read what I wrote. I said that it's not damage to me, as in "from my perspective". Not your's, not CGC's, not anyone's but MINE.

:eyeroll:

So, that's as valid as saying the sky's green "from my perspective." I think what you're trying to say is that you don't mind this kind of damage. Some people don't mind bad QP. Some people don't mind bad PQ. Some people are just fine with creases. None of those are any less a defect just because that person doesn't mind.

So, that's as valid as saying the sky's green "from my perspective." I think what you're trying to say is that you don't mind this kind of damage defect. Some people don't mind bad QP. Some people don't mind bad PQ. Some people are just fine with creases. None of those are any less a defect just because that person doesn't mind.

FTFY

-slym

So, that's as valid as saying the sky's green "from my perspective." I think what you're trying to say is that you don't mind this kind of damage. Some people don't mind bad QP. Some people don't mind bad PQ. Some people are just fine with creases. None of those are any less a defect just because that person doesn't mind.

:eyeroll::blahblah:

So, that's as valid as saying the sky's green "from my perspective." I think what you're trying to say is that you don't mind this kind of damage defect. Some people don't mind bad QP. Some people don't mind bad PQ. Some people are just fine with creases. None of those are any less a defect just because that person doesn't mind.

FTFY

-slym

Thanks. I did mean to say defect there.