• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCs big week..... yeecchhhhhh

26 posts in this topic

I didn't care for what I read of "War Games" but then again I didn't read the entire crossover.

But "War Games" is exactly why you don't do crossovers like this any more. Batman was selling a respectable 80,000 copies before "War Games" started up, but by the end of it they had lost somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10,000 readers. The other Bat titles were selling in the 35,000 copy or less range and each experienced a major jump in sales, on average over 5000-10,000 copies per title as readers of Batman (the flagship title) picked up the other parts to read the entire story. But we can't estimate how many of those titles regular readers left because of the crossover.

What happends afterwards? Sales on your flagship title are now down 10,000 copies and the other titles slink back to their pre-crossover (or less) numbers.

The only benefit to Detective is that it is going into it's 800th issue (sure to sell more than usual) and is then going into a potentially positive storyarc by David Lapham.

And Nightwing is going into a "Year One" storyarc by the guys that launched the book - Dixon and McDaniel.

But Gotham Knights? Legends of the Dark Knight? Robin? Birds of Prey? Batgirl? Some of those titles are going to look ripe for cancellation by February.

Batman was selling a respectable 80,000 copies before "War Games" started up, but by the end of it they had lost somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10,000 readers.

Think about that. 1/8th of your revenue is now gone.

Doug Mahnke better draw his little heart out to get some of those people back. I think he will, and the Red Hood story looks intriguing (especially with those bloody brilliant Wagner covers) - but it could be another Joker story in disguise (since the Red Hood was the Joker, or so we thought) but 10,000 copies? Nuh-uh. Not bloody likely. Hopefully, it will just maintain it's numbers until DC realizes they need to get a superstar back on the book to get the numbers up again.

Also, I can't believe they put that horrendous Winick/Nguyen arc into a tpb. I saw it today at another shop and was taken by surprise. I must have blacked out when that was advertised in Previews.

Actually, I don't even think Dave's read any of the No Man's Land Storyline or is picking up any of the issues.

I dropped Batman as soon as it started up.

Its actual a pretty good read - I bought the trades and was pleasantly surprised with the stories.

Also, I can't believe they put that horrendous Winick/Nguyen arc into a tpb. I saw it today at another shop and was taken by surprise. I must have blacked out when that was advertised in Previews.

I guess Marvel's not the only one TPB'ing eveerything regardless of the original pamphlet sales figures wink.gif