• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e-bay categories

117 posts in this topic

Off topic (as I usually tend to stray) Joanna - your responses are well thought out and eloquent, displaying an intelligence severely lacking from most other testosterone laden bickering examples of "one-ups"manship prevalent on these boards. Kudos to your "nuggets" tongue.gif of wisdom smile.gif

However, you are totally ruining the my impression of this Forum and warding me off with your "classiness." I think you and scottish should have a contest on who can be the least confrontational, as you have him hands down when it comes to posts that actually have content that makes sense wink.gif

Great seller insight. If you want to try those $1 auctions anytime soon, just enlist the aid of these shilling freeks on here to make sure you realize your wanted price wink.gif

I'm impressed that you quiz buyers to see if they are satisfied. I agree with drbanner that leaving the positive feedback early leaves you as the seller open and vulnerable, in regards to retaliatory feedback, which is a position no seller (MALE, at least) would want to be in. Sure you can follow up comment but that is not nearly as damaging and that's what we boys like to do, "tear everyone apart" if you will.

then you make a point about how the buyer already filled their obligations and deserve a good feedback. I beleive the buyer's obligation goes further in contacting the seller to work something out if not satisfied before firing off a negative, especially if the seller already gave the buyer a positive feedback.

Tough call on how I will do this in the future. I've always left positive feedback for buyers once they pay. It's even more fun when I use that 80 characters to make some personal comments on how they are pervs for buying my smut books, meanwhile leaving them a positive feedback at the same time. grin.gif

Tough call on how I will do this in the future. I've always left positive feedback for buyers once they pay.

Darth;

This is THE reason I would not hesitate to bid on another of your auctions. Sellers who leave feedback without waiting to see what I will do first, are sellers I use in the future. Sellers who withhold feedback NEVER get another bid from me PERIOD. If ALL buyers implemented this strategy EBay would be much more of a BUYERS paradise, rather than a SELLERS paradise.

Phil

No problem! I see your point of view! I'm also with you on the sellers that hold their feedback hostage. Dweebs

This is due to lamer buyers who will wake up on the wrong side of the bed, then start slamming Negatives on anyone who has already left them a Positive. It's an act without risk, like punching someone in the dark.

If you sold any book (even CGC) to someone like Testomanlives and left positive feedback first, you could almost be guaranteed a Negative once he received the book.

Phil - how about I just leave preemptive feedbacks for you...want to keep getting those bids! Seller's paradise? I must be in Hell, dude, cuz lately I've been taking more shaft than I can handle (that's what she said...) wink.gif

You are right tho. This has worked for me in the past and for the most part I do get return buyers so I'm glad to know I was doing something right all along.

Seller's paradise? I must be in Hell, dude, cuz lately I've been taking more shaft than I can handle

I guess I should have went into further detail on this. I should have said paradise for CERTAIN sellers. Meaning the ones that decide to cancel auctions with maybe a minute left cuz they didn't get the money they were hoping for, or the ones who rip off a bunch of people and then show up a couple months later with a new ID. You know, the slimy guys. I realize there are slimy buyers as well, and that is a bit of a risk for a seller, but it is a virtual minefield out there for buyers too. Playing the feedback game with a seller is just another bit of aggravation that I believe buyers will eventually get fed up with.

Thankfully there are sellers that we find we can depend on, and yes Darth... you are a dependable seller. grin.gif

Phil

Hmm...I consider it a complement to be included in Joanna's esteemed company. I have no problem with coming in 2nd in this regard. wink.gif

On the other hand Darth tells me my posts are un-intelligent and they make no sense (maybe just the latter). frown.gif

Jeez...should I say 'Thank-you?' mad.gif

Darth, what a kind and generous post. Thank you.

As for my selling philosophy, it is the same I use in life. The simplest of all rules: treat others as I like to be treated. In my comic auctions, I try to describe the book as fully as possible, with detailed condition notes, a list of the stories in the issue, and a brief tease as to what each story is about. Sometimes, I include an historical perspective, writing of some event that happened on the month and year that the comic was published. I do this to give a sense of age, because I'm selling silver age books, and because I find history interesting.

With shipping, I pack to survive a nuclear holocost. Neither the buyer nor I want anything to happen to the books, so I feel this is a no-brainer. If I'm paid before the post office closes, I ship the same day, otherwise it's the next day. Fast shipping is the least I can do to thank someone for an order.

I suppose I don't fear the feedback so much because I do everything in my power to make it a positive experience. Perhaps there is arrogance in that, and I'll get my comeupance. Or perhaps I'll continue to be fortunate in getting honest buyers. My books are never worth huge amounts of money. Often they're very inexpensive, because I always bought to read, not for condition. I have a lot of trashed books. Among them, there are some gems, and I get a real thrill finding a comic in high grade amongst my reader copies.

Even more off-topic, I got my submission forms for CGC today, and I'm getting ready to send out my very first package. I'm excited. I've also decided to submit the first comic book I wrote to CGC, so that I can have one copy for posterity. Self-indulgent, perhaps, but who says a gal can't treat herself once in awhile?

-- Joanna

Scottish - just pickin on ya cause I know you are on and my mommy taught me not to pick on girls wink.gif Interesting posts by you on the water cooler. Jokingly beatin up on ya here is better than beating up on a kid in the back seat of a car in a mall parking lot...

Now, Joanna, if you wanted a slabbed book for posteritiy's sake, I've quite the eye catching collection on ebay now...BWHAHAHAHA! And don't you guys warn her ahead of time...

I just checked out your auctions, and you don't have my comic for sale, so I guess I'll have to slab one of my copies. Too bad, because I'd have happily purchased it from you. Rumor has it you do feedback correctly!

-- Joanna

That reminds me. If some of you would give me some advice...

To submit a modern book, you have to have 4 comics, right? So I can't just submit 1 book. Therefore, assuming condition is all relative (NM), which of these would be better to slab:

Dark Knight Returns (all or some of the 4 issues)

The Killing Joke

Marvels (all or some)

Amazing Spider-Man 298 (why do I have this issue???)

Another question: when was John Byrne on FF? What years?

-- Joanna

Slab the Dark Knight, if its very high grade. The book is actually kind of hard to find in grade, because the binding often has a reading crease.

Byrne was on FF twice, 206 (or so) to about 215, and then when he was JOHN BYRNE SAVIOR OF THE WORLD'S GREATEST COMIC MAGAZINE from 232 to 291. If you want a bunch of them, PM me, I've got most of them and I'll let them go for a couple of cookies.

My ignorance is really showing here, but what years were those issues?

I can't buy anything right now, but thank you for the offer.

I'll go check the Dark Knights for creases. I'm pretty sure they're clean, but they might not be because I did read them (really, really carefully).

-- Joanna

Thankfully there are sellers that we find we can depend on, and yes Darth... you are a dependable seller.

I'm not sure what this has to do with EBay Feedback. I'm a keener on making people happy, and as such, I make sure the buyer/seller is pleased before I leave feedback either way.

If I advertise a NM book, deliver a NM book, yet wait for the buyer's email before posting a postive, I don't see how that makes me "undependable"?

I don't think 'undependable' is the right word. I do the majority of business with sellers that wait for my feedback before posting their own. I don't prefer it that way since my part of the transaction is complete once my payment is received.

Granted, I understand why some sellers don't leave feedback for the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that use retalitory feedback as a weapon. As a buyer I would certainly contact the seller first if I had a problem with their product.

If I advertise a NM book, deliver a NM book, yet wait for the buyer's email before posting a postive, I don't see how that makes me "undependable"?

As a buyer I expect the following

1. Feedback shortly after payment is recieved. This is THE reason for seller feedback. Not because I left positive FB or ANY OTHER REASON, simply because my payment was recieved in a timely manner.

2. Quick shipment of the item.

3. Reciept of the item in the condition described in the auction.

If I recieve all of the above I leave positive feedback and will add the seller to my top sellers list. If I don't they are added to my S*!t list.

Phil

I don't prefer it that way since my part of the transaction is complete once my payment is received.

Scottish, I used to feel the exact same way..... until I started selling things on EBay.

Once you get an idea how the other half lives, it made me realize that my opinions were unrealistic given the maniacs on EBay. Seriously, some guy can wake up one morning, fall off the bed, burn his mouth on his coffee, then fire up the PC and start blasting Negs.

Check out this guy, and hope he NEVER, EVER bids on something you offer for sale. Please feel free to give him a positive the minute you receive payment:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=testomanlives!