• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am fed up with the garbage comic conservation supplies that are available!

28 posts in this topic

I have absolutely had it with the junk that passes as comic conservation supplies.

I thought that I FINALLY solved my problem of preservation by ordering 200 Super Golden Age Fullbacks and 200 Super Golden Age Archives from E. Gerber.

I was wrong.

Can someone explain to me how in the world you can FIT a single comic into one of these things? I came close to wrecking a book by trying to force it in the sleeve with the Fullback. WHY CAN'T ANYONE MAKE SUPPLIES THAT FIT BOOKS? I will most likely have to return all this garbage at my expense because the supplier obviously never tried to fit an actual comic book into one of these things.

What are people using out there? I want some decent 4 mil mylar sleeves. Why does everything suck? I had the same problem with BCE magazine-sized sleeves. They were so damn tight and I could barely fit a magazine into them.

P.S.: There is no possible way that an early thicker and wider golden age book would fit into one of these things. Why call it "Super Golden Age" if books don't even fit into them?

P.P.S: I had a hard time even getting the BACKING BOARD into the matching sleeve without forcing it.

Paul, to be clear, is the mylar to small dimension wise for the book to fit or is it that the book is having trouble slipping in the mylar?

If it is the latter, what I do is to first insert the fullback by itself and pull it out to let air in between the sleeve and open up the mylar as they tend to be tight due to static cling. Then I insert the book and board combo.

Jayman, I don't see how anything fits in this mylar. I can barely fit the backing board into it while forcing it. These are the biggest comic sleeves that Gerber makes. The problem is that the backing boards are too big for the sleeves (even though they are both "Super Golden Age"), and the fact that they are Fullbacks makes it even worse.

The only option I see is to use magazine-sized mylars with these fullbacks. In order to fit this sized fullback with a book, it looks to me like they should be at least a half inch wider.

In that case I would fire off an e-mail to E. Gerber explaining your dilemma with their products. As these products are expensive I understand your frustration! Maybe they can offer a solution or exchange with proper supplies.

Best of luck! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I've had the same problem with the Mylite2s. They are just waaaay too tight for me to put a book into.

Try measuring the Mylar to make sure they sent you the correct ones. They may have mispackaged them. That happened to me with a bunch of Mylites once.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll let you guys know what I do to resolve this problem. I may end up getting magazine-sized mylars. I'm going to measure these to see if they are smaller than they should be.

I've had the same problem with the Mylite2s. They are just waaaay too tight for me to put a book into.

And I had the same problem with the E. Gerber modern Archives; you can't fit a single Modern-sized book into them. I called the current manager of the company, told him about it, and he said it wasn't his problem how E. Gerber's customers use their products. Christo_pull_hair.gif I know that Diamond now owns E. Gerber, so I figured he must perform some other functions at Diamond and managing E. Gerber is only a small part of what he does and didn't have time to care...but I really don't know why he wouldn't think it's his problem. confused-smiley-013.gif I returned 450 of those Modern Archives, but he wouldn't let me return the one Modern-sized Archive package I broke open. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Luckily, their Modern-sized Mylite2s and Silver- and Standard-sized Mylite2s and Archives are superior products at superior prices, so I continue to buy those. cloud9.gif

I just spoke with the E. Gerber company and am trying to resolve the problem. I'm going to use magazine-sized sleeves instead of Super Golden Age. I sense that I'm going to get stuck with an opened pack of sleeves and an open pack of fullbacks. I'm not going to be happy if that's the case. They better not think of charging a restocking fee.

I bought the magazine-size Mylite2's and matching Fullbacks.

I found out that the fullbacks are too small, smaller then the books I was putting into the Mylite2. Terrible design on the magazine size.

I really like E Gerber's products, especially the fullbacks and mylite2s. But I agree that the fullbacks are so thick that there isn't that much room for the book. I use a larger size bag, for example, the standard size for bronze and modern books. But, since you're looking at the super gold size, there really isn't anything larger except for magazine size.

The Fullbacks take up too much space inside the mylite 2 bags. In order to rectify this, I cut 1/8 - 1/4" off of the boards with a heavy duty paper cutter. Problem solved.

The issue is that half-backs fit perfectly at a given size, but the full-backs are just a snail's whisker too big. The problem is magnified greatly with thick books, which most oversized books are. Thin books would fit fine without modification.

I always assumed that the full-backs were the proper size for Archives. Since I've never used Archives, I don't know for sure.

Anyway, Mylites + Half-backs = Best you can get for the $$. Mylites + full-backs = a little trimming work. Just call Phantasia and he'll be right over. Oops, out of business. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I found out that the fullbacks are too small, smaller then the books I was putting into the Mylite2. Terrible design on the magazine size.

The Fullbacks take up too much space inside the mylite 2 bags. In order to rectify this, I cut 1/8 - 1/4" off of the boards with a heavy duty paper cutter. Problem solved.

The issue is that half-backs fit perfectly at a given size, but the full-backs are just a snail's whisker too big. The problem is magnified greatly with thick books, which most oversized books are. Thin books would fit fine without modification.

I always assumed that the full-backs were the proper size for Archives. Since I've never used Archives, I don't know for sure.

Anyway, Mylites + Half-backs = Best you can get for the $$. Mylites + full-backs = a little trimming work. Just call Phantasia and he'll be right over. Oops, out of business. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think you misunderstand what I said. The fullbacks are too small for the books I am placing inside the magazine-sized Mylite2's. They both fit well inside the Mylite2, but the mag overhangs the fullback by 1/4" on the side and about 1/2" on the top.

I was told that I can return the almost $200 worth of supplies that I purchased, but I will be subject to a 10% restocking fee. I, in no uncertain terms, told them to go to hell. I will be talking to the manager of E. Gerber about this.

Did any of you know that Diamond owns E. Gerber? So this is basically just a money making machine for Steve Geppi. I'm not going to let him screw me out of 10% of my money for products that simply don't work together. There's no way in hell that a Super Golden Age fullback with even a modern comic can fit in a Super Golden Age archive sleeve.

Paul,

I would definitely take Strongguy's suggestion and double check the measurements on both the Mylars and Fullbacks you received. The largest comic in my collection would probably be my Superworld #1, and it still fits (snuggly, of course, but no problems with removing or placing it inside) in a Gerber "Super Gold" Archive with a properly sized Fullback.

Alan

I did misunderstand your problem...

While processing the "NorthHampton" collection, I foung that most GA books fit rather well inside the super golds. There were a few notable exceptions. There's an issue of "Texan" that is oversized, an issue of "Sweet Sixteen", some of the PMI mags are really big.

For these, I used the Magazine sized materials. There are a full 9"x12" - huge. I haven't come across anything that are too big for these. I even have trouble putting these inside of normal Magazine boxes they are so big. The grey acid-free mag boxes that Gerber sells are big enough, though.

Now that I understand your problem, I don't quite understand the complaint. If the books are too big, go to the larger size, right? Or are you saying that they are marketed such that you thought the books you had would fit, but they don't?

I agree with the posters below - check the dimensions - not only of the supplies, but of the books you are bagging.

Paul,

I would definitely take Strongguy's suggestion and double check the measurements on both the Mylars and Fullbacks you received. The largest comic in my collection would probably be my Superworld #1, and it still fits (snuggly, of course, but no problems with removing or placing it inside) in a Gerber "Super Gold" Archive with a properly sized Fullback.

Alan