• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am fed up with the garbage comic conservation supplies that are available!

28 posts in this topic

ckb, my problem is that NO books fit in these sleeves. They are far too tight to be putting books in there with a Fullback board.

I spoke with Gerber and I will be returning the sleeves and getting magazine sized sleeves. (Super Golden Age boards with Magazine sleeves).

However, be aware of their 10% restocking fee. I person_without_enough_empathyed and moaned in order to avoid the fee, but you may not be lucky in the future if you have a similar problem. I suggest getting some samples mailed to you.

Ok, so the books fit in the sleeves without the fullback, but it's too tight with the full back?

You saw my suggestion that cutting 1/4" off of the fullback will make it much less tight. But you seemed to indicate that then the book would be larger than the fullback?

Considering I have over 2000 Super Golds/half-backs and over 1000 with books from the 40s and 50's loaded in them, I doubt I need samples. :-) I am able to easily fit nearly all books from this era into a super-gold sleeve with 2 halfbacks. I dont have any super gold full-backs to try it with, though. I believe I had a similar experience with magazine sleeves and full-backs, but solved it with a paper cutter (on the full-backs, not the books! :-).

It's sounding more and more to me like you a batch of sleeves or boards that were out of spec. It's all academic at this point. Sorry it didn't work out.

ckb, my problem is that NO books fit in these sleeves. They are far too tight to be putting books in there with a Fullback board.

I spoke with Gerber and I will be returning the sleeves and getting magazine sized sleeves. (Super Golden Age boards with Magazine sleeves).

However, be aware of their 10% restocking fee. I person_without_enough_empathyed and moaned in order to avoid the fee, but you may not be lucky in the future if you have a similar problem. I suggest getting some samples mailed to you.

You saw my suggestion that cutting 1/4" off of the fullback will make it much less tight. But you seemed to indicate that then the book would be larger than the fullback?

FYI, Gerber will custom cut boards to any size you want.

FYI, Gerber will custom cut boards to any size you want.

Yes, I've ordered custom sized boards (and I don't believe they're any more expensive based on the weight of the order), and I have also returned boards to them that were too far out of spec that they replaced.

One point that I don't think has been made clear is that I've learned you shouldn't try putting a book inside a mylar with the fullback already in there. You definitely want to slide the book in with the fullback at the same time. The fullback will start to slide down a little further than the book, and then I just gently tap the bottom of the mylar against a table to let the book fall in the rest of the way.

Paul,

I feel your pain because I recently eceived a SA book (unbagged) but was in a mylar and it had a GA sized board behind it. I damaged the book trying to get it out. frustrated.gif I guess I could have been more careful but I wasn't expecting the board to be so bloddy tight in the mylar. Nice book too. frown.gif Why they don't bother to at least bag a book before they put a book in those snug, air tight mylars is beyond me.

I'm not putting the Fullback in the sleeve first. The book is on the board and then I'm sliding it into the sleeve. Sorry, it's not "operator error" here. The products are not matched to work properly together, plain and simple.

Why they don't bother to at least bag a book before they put a book in those snug, air tight mylars is beyond me.

Sort of defeats the whole purpose of the Mylar if you stick the book in a "bag" (non-mylar I assume), doesn't it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Do the dimensions of the boards and bags match those advertised by Gerber? Sounds like one or the other is "off-spec" and should be replaced by the provider. I've used Gerber Mylites and Full-baks for gold, silver, and bronze age books for years and never had a problem finding a combination that worked.

The only books I don't have Mylars for are a few early Dell Giants which I just keep in plain old magazine sized polybags. I don't think those would fit very well in any Mylar 'cause they're so dang thick!