• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tough Signature Series and the New Collector

64 posts in this topic

I don't use GPA, so I don't know anything about it. Does it include CGC SS prices?

Yes it does, however there are many recorded sales with no indication of signee(s).

I don't use GPA, so I don't know anything about it. Does it include CGC SS prices?

Yes it does, however there are many recorded sales with no indication of signee(s).

So it's essentially useless for CGC SS. Just pulling an example out of the air, let's say that there are 20 9.8 CGC SS copies of Sgt. Rock The Prophecy #1 and 19 are signed by Andy Kubert alone and one is signed by Joe Kubert. It's not the case, but simply for the sake of argument, let's use those numbers.

The numbers on GPA could be skewed either way. If the Andy-signed books move around and create a GPA of $80, why would I want to sell my Joe Kubert signed copy for that even if that's the going rate on GPA? On the flip side, say the lone Joe Kubert signed copy goes for $400 to a very motivated buyer. Now sellers use that to claim their Andy-signed copy is worthy of at least $350 and wont budge from that number.

I'm not picking a fight, just showing how the lack of complete information on GPA could create a real headache for both buyers and sellers.

GPA can totally be skewed. I made a deal for three Kieth signed books for a certain price. Two of the books were sold at the price they were set at and the third went for $25. That book is no way worth just $25. I was asked if I was sure that was what I wanted to do, and I say yes because I will never sell that book anyway.

Just my opinion...

So it's essentially useless for CGC SS. Just pulling an example out of the air, let's say that there are 20 9.8 CGC SS copies of Sgt. Rock The Prophecy #1 and 19 are signed by Andy Kubert alone and one is signed by Joe Kubert. It's not the case, but simply for the sake of argument, let's use those numbers.

The numbers on GPA could be skewed either way. If the Andy-signed books move around and create a GPA of $80, why would I want to sell my Joe Kubert signed copy for that even if that's the going rate on GPA? On the flip side, say the lone Joe Kubert signed copy goes for $400 to a very motivated buyer. Now sellers use that to claim their Andy-signed copy is worthy of at least $350 and wont budge from that number.

I'm not picking a fight, just showing how the lack of complete information on GPA could create a real headache for both buyers and sellers.

It can be skewed, though on the other hand there can be multiple SS listings for one book depending on who signed it with them and even multiple combinations of creators. It still is a useful tool, just not 100% accurate, but what is? Bottom line- I recommend it as a reference tool. (thumbs u

Stan Lee is over $100 to sign

I'm not sure this is true. Source?

There are a couple of ways to look at it, depending on how you get the Stan Lee signature...

By facilitator: as I understand it, Desert Wind Comics has an exclusive contract with Stan Lee to handle his signature events. Their price list is posted here. It gets a little convoluted, but a Modern tier book for Stan's sig costs $110 plus S/H back to you. I guess you can break out the charges and the actual amount going to Stan is less than $100. I got an Uncanny X-Men signed by Stan Lee and Chris Claremont through DWC for my personal collection and they gouged me for $165 total, including fees, grading, and shipping.

Or, if you want to get a book signed yourself, you can take it to Wizard World Wherever, and buy a Stan Lee ticket. At the upcoming Portland show this'll set you back $325 for VIP, $200 for meet & greet. And that'll be plus the actual costs paid to CGC for slabbing. Again, I guess you can break it down so that the actual "signature" costs less than $100 because you're also getting a variant comic, and admission to the show, and the experience, etc.

So in the end you may not directly grease Stan's palm with a C-note, but you will be laying out significantly more than that for his nom de plume.

:hi:

Stan Lee is ANYTHING but Exclusive.

The SS community in my opinion is lucky that such an amazing creator had made themselves so available. 2c

$165 was price gauging? lol my friend you should see the challenge that a Stan Lee signing can be. People want him everywhere. It is not like CGC SS are the only people he is signing for. He has a cologne line and he works with Toy companies too. (Think MEGA Bucks) Also Stan CAN increase the value of your book significantly.... as Darrel put it..... on the right books

:hi:

Stan Lee is ANYTHING but Exclusive.

The SS community in my opinion is lucky that such an amazing creator had made themselves so available. 2c

$165 was price gauging? lol my friend you should see the challenge that a Stan Lee signing can be. People want him everywhere. It is not like CGC SS are the only people he is signing for. He has a cologne line and he works with Toy companies too. (Think MEGA Bucks) Also Stan CAN increase the value of your book significantly.... as Darrel put it..... on the right books

100% Agreed!

Choose the right books to get signed if you plan on reselling or just get his sig on a book you love that you'll never sell. Either way you can't go wrong.

Stan Lee is over $100 to sign

I'm not sure this is true. Source?

There are a couple of ways to look at it, depending on how you get the Stan Lee signature...

By facilitator: as I understand it, Desert Wind Comics has an exclusive contract with Stan Lee to handle his signature events.

There are several other facilitators that offer SS opportunities with Stan Lee - he's not exclusive to DWC.

Their price list is posted here. It gets a little convoluted, but a Modern tier book for Stan's sig costs $110 plus S/H back to you. I guess you can break out the charges and the actual amount going to Stan is less than $100. I got an Uncanny X-Men signed by Stan Lee and Chris Claremont through DWC for my personal collection and they gouged me for $165 total, including fees, grading, and shipping.

Or you could simply buy a Stan Lee signing ticket from DWC, sub the book under your own account and pay far less. No matter what, Stan Lee doesn't actually charge $100 for his signature ... no comic creator does.

Happy hunting!

I think JJ's request for a pre-screen service on SS books would be a welcome addition to the program, but that's up to the powers that be.

What was the reason CGC gave for discontinuing this service to begin with? Because you used to be able to do pre-screens for SS books ...

That's just not true ...

Whilst Andy is correct that there are still SS books being recorded where the signee isn't mentioned, GPA started including CGC cert numbers a couple of years ago - meaning all you have to do is click the cert to see who signed the book:

Image%202014.01.09%2010%3A38%3A25%20AM.png

I always say, Signature Series books have gold labels of a reason. They are special and quite frankly not that easy to get done. So many factors and people are involved in getting one book done, and believe me there is no perfect science to it.

I think some times I show off my rarest SS books, collectors new to the hobby think that it can't be that difficult to obtain. Often one SS book (especially sketch covers and cast signed books) take months and sometimes years of planning. They can also become a real money pit too!

Also consider the time, effort and risks involved in arranging signature opps with creators who do not attend conventions. Folks like Rich Henn, GA Collectibles, Joel Elad, NYComics, and DWC do a tremendous job putting together opportunities for us collectors to get books signed that otherwise would never happen without thier efforts. It's very stressful and they don't make much money doing it either.

Right now, SS books are still a relatively new addition to the hobby. As time goes by, more collectors will come to appreciate these books and they will become more valuable. Just imagine how much collectors will covet Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Robert Crumb, and other iconic creators SS books 50 years from now. How cool is it to think 100 years from now that there will be cast signed books from films like STAR WARS, JAWS, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, and other classics. I wouldn't be surprised if certain SS books ended up in museums.

Collectors decades from now will have the opportunity to own these pieces of comic book and pop culture history thanks to folks at CGC and today's ambitious collectors. The greatest thing is that they are authenticated and preserved like no other collectible.

I get contacted often to sell some of my rarer SS books. Always the folks that contact me are very respectful and I love to hear from these fellow collectors. I make it clear that most aren't for sale and if I were to sell them the prices are very high. It's not to take advantage or profit, it's because these rare books can't be replaced. A collector is very lucky when the opportunity to buy a "rare" SS book presents itself ( it usually only happens a few times a year ). In many cases for these "rare" SS books I literally have a list of folks willing to buy them at any time.

GREAT thread Sean, and good points by Troy and Rich Henn. I don't believe anyone is necessarily complaining about folks that are new to the hobby & their buying habits. I just think it's just a reminder just how special SS books really are and how lucky we are to have to opportunity to collect them.

:headbang:

Or you could simply buy a Stan Lee signing ticket from DWC, sub the book under your own account and pay far less. No matter what, Stan Lee doesn't actually charge $100 for his signature ... no comic creator does.

That's true. The only guy that did charge more than $100 was Frazetta, and he didn't sign very many books at all.

So apparently it is either really challenging and expensive to get a Stan Lee signature or a simple matter of buying a ticket and doing my own thing. :(

I'm sure I could have somehow acquired the signature I wanted for less, but not when I factored in the cost of travel and tickets to the con. But, these ancillary expenses are not really part of the question at hand. I do not know how much Stan Lee himself charges, just how much I actually had to pay for it, which does factor in to the original posting about the actual pricing of Sig Series books. A Sig Series high grade common comic can sometimes represent much more than OSPG value reflects.

Wasn't Frazetta like $395 or something? I had one book done but wish I did more in hindsight.

That's true. The only guy that did charge more than $100 was Frazetta, and he didn't sign very many books at all.

Wasn't Frazetta like $395 or something? I had one book done but wish I did more in hindsight.

$195 I think.

$195 I think.

$250

$195 I think.

$250

Either way, his signature was a tiny work of art, so think of it as a sketch!

I could use one, by the way....