• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,266 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2023 at 2:10 AM, OtherEric said:

It really is amazing just how successful Bored of the Rings was- and is- for a parody.  It's been more or less continually in print, as far as I know.

I was hoping to run across a copy eventually. I almost never look very hard for anything in particular and just let it happen. 

On 7/13/2023 at 2:10 AM, OtherEric said:

It really is amazing just how successful Bored of the Rings was- and is- for a parody.  It's been more or less continually in print, as far as I know.

Probably because it was really funny, I still remember random lines out of that book ... "and the entrails of goats were found tied in square knots" ...weirdly more than any I can remember out of the actual trilogy lol

On 7/13/2023 at 2:10 PM, Surfing Alien said:

It's funny because I recently posted the three digests with the Basement Gang cover and now can show the Beacon PB version as well. The delinquents are actually in a different pose on the bed on this one, although the broad at the door is in about the same position.  There is still one more version, a Magazine publication, that I need to complete the set.

20230713_141845.thumb.jpg.72b1e4efa02b2eea05bfcbf299818ae9.jpg

Thanks Rick for letting these loose!

:shiftyeyes: Wow, the lady on the right actually took off her clothes for the second pose. And this even though the other pose was too risque!

On 7/13/2023 at 3:10 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Well I got my package from @catrick339 pb sale and was thrilled to acquire some of his stash :)  

I've been slacking a bit on my JD purchases lately so was glad to get two upgrades and one, "Basement Gang", that I've never managed to pick up before. These three are my favorites of the bunch. Gang Girl is by Robert Silverberg and the Little Caesars features cover art by George Ziel, one of my favorites.

20230713_142045.thumb.jpg.84dd2d910f153fa3ba87e174240fe919.jpg

It's funny because I recently posted the three digests with the Basement Gang cover and now can show the Beacon PB version as well. The delinquents are actually in a different pose on the bed on this one, although the broad at the door is in about the same position.  There is still one more version, a Magazine publication, that I need to complete the set.

20230713_141845.thumb.jpg.72b1e4efa02b2eea05bfcbf299818ae9.jpg

Thanks Rick for letting these loose!

Always happy to let things go to appreciative folks who will love them as much as I did.

Be warned, there's another longbox I didn't tap into, so I miiiight just do it again this fall, :D

A Pennant, two Pockets, and a Pitman reprint of a Pocket.  I've never actually heard of Pitman before this, does anybody recognize them or were they just a cover for Pocket to get out another reprint working around paper restrictions?  Also, I love the pockets with the "this is book #" at the top.

Pennant P75.jpg

FDR memorial Pitman.jpg

Pocket_0117.jpg

Pocket_0420.jpg

Funny because I would have guessed Belarski.  But I don't have a great track record with those guys. I seem to remember picking out about 20 different covers with 5 different artists and suggesting they all looked like Ray Johnson to me when discussing with SA as he was gathering material for his article (FTR, only one of the books was Johnson).  :tonofbricks:

On 7/14/2023 at 8:19 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Funny because I would have guessed Belarski.  But I don't have a great track record with those guys. I seem to remember picking out about 20 different covers with 5 different artists and suggesting they all looked like Ray Johnson to me when discussing with SA as he was gathering material for his article (FTR, only one of the books was Johnson).  :tonofbricks:

I am gonna try to rule Bergey in/out as I have his grandson's contact who has been making a few appearances on the web, weighing in on him with the knowledge and records he has access to.