• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,364 posts in this topic

Bought at the local store today to show here, since I’ve already got a copy in storage.  I believe this is the thickest vintage paperback at 1600 pages.  The spine is about as nice as you’re going to get unless you find a genuinely unread copy, I think:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 8/25/2023 at 2:32 PM, OtherEric said:

Bought at the local store today to show here, since I’ve already got a copy in storage.  I believe this is the thickest vintage paperback at 1600 pages.  The spine is about as you’re going to get unless you find a genuinely unread copy, I think:

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's huge. The biggest pb I have is the Bantam Grapes of Wrath at only 570 pages.

On 8/25/2023 at 6:03 PM, damonwad said:

That's huge. The biggest pb I have is the Bantam Grapes of Wrath at only 570 pages.

The Heinlein "Past Through Tomorrow" I recently posted, at 830 pages, is mine. I'd buy a copy of the Shirer book if I found a condition rarity but it's not a genre I collect or a painted cover so it would be have to be relatively cheap and nice as a conversation piece.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:50 AM, TupennyConan said:

Bober is great. I have a couple of those Alfred Hitchcock Dells. The feverish hunger and search for this single painting credit reminds me in no small part of my search for Raymond Johnson, inspired by our very own boards, although Johnson was this situation in reverse; an artist with a huge known oeuvre of work who no one knew anything about - and whose own family ultimately, and sadly, had nothing to contribute to his story, except indirectly :frown:

On 9/1/2023 at 2:10 PM, alecholland said:

Let's just say that Robert Maguire's daughter (and from what I understand, the estates of quite a few other vintage paperback authors) lacks love for the Connor Brother's unauthorized use of the art. I completely understand considering the lack of originality they have and the fortune they've made copying others works.

http://www.ramaguirecoverart.com/

On 9/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Let's just say that Robert Maguire's daughter (and from what I understand, the estates of quite a few other vintage paperback authors) lacks love for the Connor Brother's unauthorized use of the art. I completely understand considering the lack of originality they have and the fortune they've made copying others works.

Yep, that BS sucks.  I could write a wall of text on how disgusted I am but why waste the time.  Maguire was an inspired artist.  Those chumps are no talent hacks.  End.

On 8/25/2023 at 4:32 PM, OtherEric said:

Bought at the local store today to show here, since I’ve already got a copy in storage.  I believe this is the thickest vintage paperback at 1600 pages.  The spine is about as nice as you’re going to get unless you find a genuinely unread copy, I think:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’m reading this book right now. I’ve read 200 pages and we are still in the beer halls

On 9/1/2023 at 3:08 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m reading this book right now. I’ve read 200 pages and we are still in the beer halls

I actually found it a quite brisk read... because immediately prior to reading it I read Churchill's 6 volume history of the war.  Only by comparison was it quicker, but for me it really was.

That was an interesting project, I started with Churchill's History, then Rise and Fall, then My Three Years With Eisenhower, so I had a view of the European theater of the war from a British perspective, a German perspective, and an American perspective.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:39 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Yep, that BS sucks.  I could write a wall of text on how disgusted I am but why waste the time.  Maguire was an inspired artist.  Those chumps are no talent hacks.  End.

I was curious what others here on the boards thought. I knew nothing about them until today but felt pretty much the same way when I saw these.

Even though I've been buying vintage paperbacks and pulps for years, I mostly have just bought books I wanted to read. I am pretty much a newbie collector when it comes to the history of the books and pulps and the various cover artists. Thanks to threads like this, I have learned quite a bit very quickly for which I am grateful.

I didn't mean to trigger anyone with my post, so I am sorry about that. I just saw these and thought, "I wonder what people on the boards think about this." Now I know and definitely agree with your comments.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Geez. Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware these were unauthorized. That's terrible.

I wondered what other board members thought about this and I completely agree with the comments.

On 9/1/2023 at 9:31 PM, alecholland said:

I was curious what others here on the boards thought. I knew nothing about them until today but felt pretty much the same way when I saw these.

Even though I've been buying vintage paperbacks and pulps for years, I mostly have just bought books I wanted to read. I am pretty much a newbie collector when it comes to the history of the books and pulps and the various cover artists. Thanks to threads like this, I have learned quite a bit very quickly for which I am grateful.

I didn't mean to trigger anyone with my post, so I am sorry about that. I just saw these and thought, "I wonder what people on the boards think about this." Now I know and definitely agree with your comments.

No triggers. These dudes just jacked original works of amazingly talented original artists with no regard for legal rights or professional respect where it should have existed and sold it as pop art and made a lot of money using social media.

On 9/1/2023 at 8:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

No triggers. These dudes just jacked original works of amazingly talented original artists with no regard for legal rights or professional respect where it should have existed and sold it as pop art and made a lot of money using social media.

I understand. Thank you again for the information. Really terrible and disrespectful. 

Edited by alecholland

On 9/1/2023 at 8:31 PM, alecholland said:

On 9/1/2023 at 8:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Likewise, we're good, Alec.  My reaction wasn't to you but that those guys thought this was a cool thing to do.  I'm pretty feisty about things like that, didn't mean to come across as abrasive.

I also have learned a great deal from this thread and, for me, it's one of the great refuges from the insanity of the online world.  Also, people here accept me, despite my affection for nurse-themed novels.  I mean, Peggy Gaddis wrote a ton of them.  Who doesn't love Peggy Gaddis?  (shrug)

On 9/1/2023 at 10:00 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Likewise, we're good, Alec.  My reaction wasn't to you but that those guys thought this was a cool thing to do.  I'm pretty feisty about things like that, didn't mean to come across as abrasive.

I also have learned a great deal from this thread and, for me, it's one of the great refuges from the insanity of the online world.  Also, people here accept me, despite my affection for nurse-themed novels.  I mean, Peggy Gaddis wrote a ton of them.  Who doesn't love Peggy Gaddis?  (shrug)

In our small, small, world, your second paragraph there might be the funniest post ever written here :applause::bigsmile: