• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,253 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2023 at 12:39 AM, Darwination said:

When I see a cover used twice on a magazine and paperback, do I assume a link between publishers?

Yes, the publishers owned the art, well into the 1960's/70's era. They used it over again until they couldn't find a use for it anymore and then, usually threw it away :(

Welcome to the thread :foryou:  You probably know my buddies, micksidge (can't write his full name without being censored on this board lol ) and Steve Wallace on Flickr. Great guys with amazing collections. I don't post much there as it is so hap hazard but enjoy browsing around when I'm surfing about the web for info. (thumbsu

On 9/13/2023 at 11:14 AM, Surfing Alien said:

I was originally checking in here to thank @Pat Calhoun for posting his copy of "My Flesh Is Sweet" by Day Keene from time to time. Although I acquired a real nice copy long ago, I finally got a decent reader copy and have to confess I could not put it down. Read it in one day yesterday, including being induced to playing hooky from my real work to finish it lol  

Just a great noir with almost comical elements - the protagonist is a pulp writer, trying to sell a higher end novel to the slicks when he meets the proverbial sweet flesh who sweeps him away on improbable adventures - but brilliantly paced, with a touch of philosophical wistfulness. I've read about 10 of Keene's books now and this may be the best so far. The awesome Willard Downes nipple cover is a nice touch as well. Just a great little volume that everyone needs to own.

20230913_084631.thumb.jpg.5c2031e3367b05a6af4237ba48318658.jpg

:takeit:

On 9/13/2023 at 12:41 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Yes, the publishers owned the art, well into the 1960's/70's era. They used it over again until they couldn't find a use for it anymore and then, usually threw it away :(

Welcome to the thread :foryou:  You probably know my buddies, micksidge (can't write his full name without being censored on this board lol ) and Steve Wallace on Flickr. Great guys with amazing collections. I don't post much there as it is so hap hazard but enjoy browsing around when I'm surfing about the web for info. (thumbsu

Yep, I follow both those guys.  Micksidge has the added and fun rockabilly content on his thread which sort of goes with the paperback stuff in a strange way (dude's an Aussie? seems to have interesting UK/AU material).

Day Keene is a favorite among scanners and members of the old yahoo now io pulpscans group.  I've very rarely read a story or novel that I didn't enjoy, and this one is especially intriguing because of the pulp/magazine milieu (the other I think of off the top of my head with an industry setting is Kenneth Fearing's The Big Clock), so I'll be checking it out.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:00 PM, Surfing Alien said:

We never get tired of George Gross around here (Or Earle Bergey for that matter :) ) so post away!

I've got a small gallery of Gross covers I've worked on at here at Flickr.  I likely have some others I've done that I'll add and others in the future as well. 

Showgirls was a Your Guide publication, and Gross did a lot of true crime covers for that line, so Magazine Publishers in the indicia in that Illicit Honemoon must be adjacent to that outfit (Arthur Bernhard/Morris Lantzen?) somehow.

Edited by Darwination

On 9/13/2023 at 7:37 PM, Darwination said:

I've got a small gallery of Gross covers I've worked on at here at Flickr.  I likely have some others I've done that I'll add and others in the future as well. 

Showgirls was a Your Guide publication, and Gross did a lot of true crime covers for that line, so Magazine Publishers in the indicia in that Illicit Honemoon must be adjacent to that outfit (Arthur Bernhard/Morris Lantzen?) somehow.

Very nice mags. We try not to talk about the True Crime mags around here because we don't want anyone else to be looking for them lol but sometimes we can't help ourselves :x

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 9/13/2023 at 7:19 PM, Darwination said:

This is like waving a red flag in front of a bull :cheers: 

I've found a lot of my grails in True Crime. I looked for this one for a long time. 

Crime1953-03v06n03.BestDetectivecoverHowellDodd.thumb.jpg.e616ab921122cb6bc6fef46d80c7a4b8.jpg

Crime 1953-03 v06n03.Best Detective cover Howell Dodd

Crime 1953-03 v06n03.Best Detective cover Howell Dodd (Darwin edit)

Crime 1953-03 v06n03.Best Detective cover Howell Dodd (Darwin edit)

Howell Dodd's the man!  :headbang:

Or (not my scan) but from a recent release at the pulpscans group from a very prolific and talented fellow pulp scanner:

My Rap is Treason

Cavalcade v02n06 [1959-09] splash My Rap is Treason Howell Dodd

Here's the original art (which I must have downloaded from HA)
HOWELLDODD(Americanb.1910).TheExchangestoryillustration.thumb.jpg.dab0525e9e29eed468cc15f2cb442093.jpg

Edited by Darwination

On 9/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Beautiful, but that one is Walter Popp.

It's not my ID, but that's how I have it indexed.  I got the ID from Steve at the link below. I'd certainly agree it's more polished or shiny may be the better word than most images I have from Dodd in my files:

Too Hot to Handle / Smash Detective Cases

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56781833@N06/52800854395

Edited by Darwination