• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,385 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2023 at 6:04 PM, Darwination said:

I'm a huge fan of Ranch Romances, a favorite pulp.  I don't know where it fits on the list of best selling pulps of all time, but I'd guess at least in the top 10 if not top 5.  It had great covers, neat features, and solid fiction that appealed to every member of the household and ran forever.  I don't have very many of them, but I check it out any time a new one gets scanned.

Ranch Romances is also famously the last pulp to be published in the classic format, lasting until 1971. 

Yeah, the Marilyn cover is slightly disturbing 😳 The original sold for under 2 grand at Heritage a couple of years ago, so maybe a humble collector like myself really could 'take it' - though I would likely need to hang in a room where my wife wouldn't have to look at funky Marilyn too often :D

The Elvis is my fave followed by the James Dean.

I wrote just a bit on Weider (who features prominently in that three part Netflix doc on Arnold Schwarzenegger) on a blog post from earlier this year on True Weird, the predecessor to True Strange, at:

http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/2023/07/true-weird-may-1956.html?m=1

On 9/21/2023 at 9:09 PM, Darwination said:

I'm going to go ahead and stick these here since it's an active thread and seems to have a lot of material.  I considered the sweat mags thread, but I don't know if these are exactly that.

I've been sorting through 40 boxes today (almost there, good lord, fun tho) and separating books out into type and genre, etc. First time I've ever done a comprehensive sort.  I always take cover scans of magazines and pulps (wish I'd done it for all  comics and newspapers and tabloids and paperbacks, too) as they come in, so I can see my collection that way, but it's another thing altogether to sort the slicks from the pulps from the modern mags, pulps into genres or titles, etc.  I showed off this set (have some dupes,too, not sure if these are all scans of my best copies) to my wife.  She sat there with a look of horror at my wonder with these covers.  Thomas Beecham, True Strange 1-7.  I think I saw the original of one of these cover's original painting sell in the last couple years for like a grand, no love from the art world! :D

TrueStrangev01n01(1956-10.Weider)coverBeecham.thumb.jpg.e1d12950d35cdc59ad37134b61708db1.jpg

TrueStrangev01n02(1957-03.Weider)coverTomBeecham.thumb.jpg.2f633f37fd91e9799d811f281fabfb9d.jpg

TrueStrangev01n03(1957-05.Weider)coverBeecham.thumb.jpg.ed1b96dbc3ee3f4e3015c83276cb252d.jpg

TrueStrangev01n04(1957-08.Weider)coverBeecham.thumb.jpg.660c2299c1c788884a8ec4a9aef2852e.jpg

TrueStrangev01n05(1957-10.Weider)coverBeecham.thumb.jpg.b15c2a575e8f408fff42e2cc65d7c47c.jpg

TrueStrangev01n06(1957-12.Weider)coverBeecham.thumb.jpg.01357ef9da3a861111652af522a0ef8b.jpg

TrueStrangev02n01(1958-02.Weider)coverTomBeecham.thumb.jpg.cba42d2127beb6babab49282294bc5ec.jpg

I like TRUE STRANGE as well. I have the Elvis and I think one other, though I don't see it here. Might be wrong

Ok, paperback people, school me here.

I'm looking at that James Bama cover and am thinking I want it.   I start looking around at eBay copies and at Flickr and realize pretty quickly that there's a lot of differences in how this painting looks from publisher to publisher and even edition to edition.  It's not the original paperback printing.  Even the original paperback printing followed a first hardcover edition.  Then am I just hunting the first edition with the cover I like?  But then I look at these editions, and they are so different.  Here's the original art (with nice model reference) that Steve has up at Flickr:

James Bama - Original Artwork with Reference Photos - Tomboy

Almost photorealistic - few like Bama are able to achieve such detail.  Amazing.

But then I look at the copies available, how different the original looks than the printing in many cases.

And I get that even the same printing is going to look different depending on condition, whether you are looking at a scan or a photo, how that photo or scan has been processed, etc, but here we go, Bantam 1963

TomboyBantam1963.thumb.jpg.20cf1b43ad255570fe1953e817f355b3.jpg

Bantam 1965 via Steve

Bantam Books F3067 - Hal Ellson - Tomboy

Bantam 1967

TomboyBantam1967.thumb.png.73c465121236625049c0262ca30f61fc.png

1970 Corgi verion from Boy de Haas at Flickr

Corgi 0552075825

I think de Haas here probably has his black levels jacked a bit, but I'm feeling that a lot of that black is in the printing in the first place.  You're losing a lot of detail, but some might prefer the darker look.

Do collectors tend to go for the first edition in an oft-reprinted book like this, or are they hunting particular pressings? 

Edited by Darwination

On 9/23/2023 at 3:10 AM, Darwination said:

I'm looking at that James Bama cover and am thinking I want it.   I start looking around at eBay copies and at Flickr and realize pretty quickly that there's a lot of differences in how this painting looks from publisher to publisher and even edition to edition.  It's not the original paperback printing.  Even the original paperback printing followed a first hardcover edition.  Then am I just hunting the first edition with the cover I like?  But then I look at these editions, and they are so different.  Here's the original art (with nice model reference) that Steve has up at Flickr:

Almost photorealistic - few like Bama are able to achieve such detail.  Amazing.

But then I look at the copies available, how different the original looks than the printing in many cases.

And I get that even the same printing is going to look different depending on condition, whether you are looking at a scan or a photo, how that photo or scan has been processed, etc, but here we go, Bantam 1963

Bantam 1965 via Steve

Bantam 1967

Corgi 0552075825

I think de Haas here probably has his black levels jacked a bit, but I'm feeling that a lot of that black is in the printing in the first place.  You're losing a lot of detail, but some might prefer the darker look.

Do collectors tend to go for the first edition in an oft-reprinted book like this, or are they hunting particular pressings? 

The paintings never translate to the printed page with the same color strike and detail. The books were produced purely for commercial reasons and the print quality striven for was only enough to make you pick the book up off a rack from a glance at five feet.

In other words, if they could get guys to see headlights at five feet, and they'd pick them up like the deer they were, the publisher had done its job lol

This was a primary reason why Barye Phillips, the undoubted "King" of paperback artists painted just enough detail to sell the book, and he was masterful at nearly impressionistic Good Girls. He and the publishers knew that all that detail would be lost in translation and did not sell the book. They still commissioned and bought paintings from all of these artists who infused detail into their paintings, because the volume of publications required it (Phillips was fast, but couldn't paint them all, even though sometimes it seems like he did lol )

So, as for which to buy? The one you like most of course. No one (I know at least) collects Bama pb art or this edition of Tomboy as a "thing" so there's plenty to choose from at reasonable prices.

On 9/23/2023 at 2:10 AM, Darwination said:

Bantam 1965 via Steve

Bantam 1967

Corgi 0552075825

Aren't the first two copies here the same printing?  I don't believe that Bantam had multiple printings under the same issue number, in this case- F3067 (pretty sure this predates number lines on these books).  My guess is that any printing differences are from age or lithographic process.  @Surfing Alien, can you confirm (or anyone else that knows more than me, which is pretty much everyone)?

As to the question of which one to collect, when I find a particular cover illustration that I like, I try to identify the first printing of it and pursue that.  YMMV.

Edit:  Just looking at Bruce Black's notes on Bantams and it sounds like it's kind of a mess.  I guess we'd need to see the copyright page to verify.

Edited by Randall Dowling
Found more information

On 9/22/2023 at 6:06 AM, Darwination said:

Yeah, the Marilyn cover is slightly disturbing 😳 The original sold for under 2 grand at Heritage a couple of years ago, so maybe a humble collector like myself really could 'take it' - though I would likely need to hang in a room where my wife wouldn't have to look at funky Marilyn too often :D

The Elvis is my fave followed by the James Dean.

I wrote just a bit on Weider (who features prominently in that three part Netflix doc on Arnold Schwarzenegger) on a blog post from earlier this year on True Weird, the predecessor to True Strange, at:

http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/2023/07/true-weird-may-1956.html?m=1

Saw the calendar with the original photo (1956?) at an Estate sale a few weeks ago - $1000.