• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,236 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2023 at 5:05 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Just dug this out of my post on here from 4 years ago rather than try to dig it out lol

A Signet Triple with triple spine. This from when we first posted about fat paperbacks. 

fountain.thumb.jpg.2d124922513e092a8935327ea0faab6a.jpg.8030dc13fd8b108ffaf5ffdf13e95fa6.jpg

I think the only Ayn Rand I have is the last issue of Famous Fantastic Mysteries.

OK, so I've seen the multiple spine on a Signet before... just not in person.

On 10/13/2023 at 7:05 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Just dug this out of my post on here from 4 years ago rather than try to dig it out lol

A Signet Triple with triple spine. This from when we first posted about fat paperbacks. 

fountain.thumb.jpg.2d124922513e092a8935327ea0faab6a.jpg.8030dc13fd8b108ffaf5ffdf13e95fa6.jpg

Lol, do the Ayn Rand fans go after the PB edition? :shiftyeyes:

On 10/14/2023 at 10:31 AM, Darwination said:

Love a couple of these, particularly the bottom design, Playback - Raymond Chandler (1960.Cardinal C 375) cover William Rose

I always have thought the Playback design, with the curtain worked into the design, was a really great one.  So is the Skull cover for Big Sleep, in a very different way.  As far as I know, all of my copies are first edition, first printing paperbacks other than Little Sister, and from what I've seen I like the design on the Pocket 4001 a lot more than the one on the Pocket 750 (which I think is the first, I don't have a copy).

Yep, that's Saunders.  He really could be all over the place in terms of attention and detail (a total master, don't get me wrong).

Nice copy!  St. John mag.  Peek in there for me and check for Matt Baker, eh?  I don't think it will have any, but it's possible...

Second issue has a nice cover, too (from a copy on eBay this very moment):

s-l1600.jpg

I really like the title font on this final ish.

On 10/13/2023 at 10:02 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I don't know who is behind the buys of rare paperbacks. But I collect rare paperbacks and this is a rare paperback. Most fat pbs are tough in higher grades.

The Fountainhead Signet PB is "rare"? That's surprising. It was a well-publicized best-seller in hardcover, so you'd normally assume that the paperback would be pretty common. I guess the size and cost (three times more expensive than a regular 25 cent PB) turned buyers off.