• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,288 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, OtherEric said:

Interesting, the list of contributors at the bottom is different on the separate versions...

Yup, Al Williams and Home Institute are different and juxtaposed. I don't own the issues so don't know what it means.

Each paper it was printed for must have had it's own print run so there could be differences in title features, even if they weren't different inside. Or, they could be different inside hm

On 11/13/2023 at 8:44 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  The inscription dates it to 1918. 

For all that this is probably the non-Oz book by Baum with the greatest claim to general popularity, given the subject matter and the film versions, it's got my vote as the hardest of the Oz-adjacent Baum books to find in a vintage edition (pre-1960 or so).  Queen Zixi of Ix is the only other one that comes close.

Life Adventures Santa Claus.jpg

Nice, OE, took a peek, this one has a 1906 inscription, don't know how you'd tell earliest edition:
https://archive.org/details/lifeadventuresof0baum/mode/2up

Couldn't find much on the illustrator, but I like her, Mary Cowles Clark, selected by Baum.

P0035Page15.jpg.6f0df5fc09c7148c532720033e4f858e.jpg

I'd never heard of this before.

Edited by Darwination

On 11/13/2023 at 7:03 PM, Darwination said:

Nice, OE, took a peek, this one has a 1906 inscription, don't know how you'd tell earliest edition:
https://archive.org/details/lifeadventuresof0baum/mode/2up

I have no idea how you would identify the earliest version, either.  I know my edition was published by M. A. Donohue in the late 19-teens, I've got a couple others where they did the reprints around this time,  The Enchanted Island of Yew and Dot and Tot in Merryland.

The only true first edition, first state Baum I've got is Queen Zixi of Ix, although I've got a 1st edition, 2nd state of Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz.

Edited by OtherEric

On 11/10/2023 at 8:42 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Yup, Al Williams and Home Institute are different and juxtaposed. I don't own the issues so don't know what it means.

Each paper it was printed for must have had it's own print run so there could be differences in title features, even if they weren't different inside. Or, they could be different inside hm

A follow up on This Week.  Phil S-P has pointed out during a discussion in Pulpscans on the subject of possible variance that This Week has been digitized as part of the NEH's Chronicling America initiative in the pages of the Evening Star.  It's all black and white (as is the case with a lot of "institutional scanning") but still super cool.  There's an indexer working on it for Galactic Central that's made it up to 1941 and is including illustrator credits. Excellent!

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045462/1935-02-24/ed-1/4/

Edited by Darwination

On 11/16/2023 at 1:40 PM, Darwination said:

A follow up on This Week.  Phil S-P has pointed out during a discussion in Pulpscans on the subject of possible variance that This Week has been digitized as part of the NEH's Chronicling America initiative in the pages of the Evening Star.  It's all black and white (as is the case with a lot of "institutional scanning") but still super cool.  There's an indexer working on it for Galactic Central that's made it up to 1941 and is including illustrator credits. Excellent!

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045462/1935-02-24/ed-1/4/

That is a crazy, and worthy endeavor!

On 11/17/2023 at 5:49 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some Friday Fun

A very cool true crime Penguin with a beautiful Jonas cover. I haven't seen a ton of True Crime pbs, but I'm looking for them since I've been collecting the True Crime mags

20231117_182952.thumb.jpg.c2191f705cb88109f026baed722484e7.jpg

A classic Beacon Lesbian novel with excellent cover art by Frank Uppwall, reprinted from a Lesbian Uni Book Digest that I have somewhere but not at hand

20231117_182841.thumb.jpg.a952ca69014266a58f132dd2d3ec495e.jpg

A couple of cool 'n groovy sleaze titles with nice uncredited cover art

20231117_183012.thumb.jpg.34035fc008abfb59334e5ac0d664bbaa.jpg

20231117_182825.thumb.jpg.d5a0ae41828bc5f4a9d6c025d64ab2ce.jpg

Finally, always finding new JD books for the shelf, I have a ton but there's still a ton I don't have. Lion Books (Library) LB116 (by this time, Lion was alternating the Lion Library Line name with the "Lion Books" imprint name which had earlier been discontinued) - hybrid Samson Pollen / Carlos de Mema cover art.  This is a reprint of an earlier Lion Books edition

20231117_182905.thumb.jpg.86029aba93ab50d4afdf57d4c572d0b6.jpg

I know I've seen Alan Hynd before (and likely numerous times if I remember the name).  I don't know if it's from slicks or what, though.  The cover for Queer Affair looks more sweet than sleazy, cept for the redhead is almost gritting her teeth and has her hand sort of tensed up.  Alley Kids is my favorite.  The whole cityscape is shiny and vibrant and playfully unrealistic (quite unlike a dark alley).