• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2023 at 5:01 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Every once in a while you take a gamble on something no one knows what it is and it pays off. Just got in this exquisite piece of Gothic PB original art.

It's the cover art to "Shadow Of Polperro" by Frances Cowen, Ace Books No. 760181 published in 1973.

20231211_171226.thumb.jpg.d2de7d785521b02e09f74f2bc46655d9.jpg

I've figured out that the artist is Norman Adams, who I had never heard of because he is in a later period of pb artists than I usually collected, however his Trompe L'oeil techniques are incredible.  He was a commercial Illustrator in New York starting around 1959 through the mid-70's when he left commercial art (and New York) to become a highly respected wild life painter. Here's a link to a bio about him:

http://www.normanadams.org/

He had covers on many major magazines, including the moon landing cover for Reader's Digest in July 1969, which I thought was incredibly cool.

Here's a nice Flickr page with a whole bunch of his stuff:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/illustrator_normanadams/

The picture can't do justice to his work, the details are so fine, it's mind boggling. There is almost no depth to the brush strokes so this is either watercolor or gouache applied in many super thin layers and likely the reason it wasn't thought to be a painting, the surface appears to look like a print. It is a painting on illustration board with all the usual commercial illustration tags and scribbles on the back of the board.

I was struck by the image itself anyway because I love good gothic covers and this one has all the elements, including an excellent portrait, far larger and more detailed than you usually see, as well as a great castle-like manse and gates (noticeably cut down in publication) :cloud9:  It probably wouldn't fetch big money but I love it and the whole journey of discovery (thumbsu

Here's a pic of the PB, not something I'd usually pick up but now I gotta get one.

Shadow.jpg.762c7a761e051d9dd5857aee8a3a324c.jpg

That's an awesome grab, SA!!!  :applause:

On 12/11/2023 at 11:35 PM, Darwination said:

Looks like it's in great shape, are you gonna reframe?

Love the LBJ cover (thumbsu

The paint condition is bright and bold. I actually think I may have the frame touched if it works. None of the color changes in the pics are actual chips, just spots where the finish is worn. It has the period look and is definitely the original frame from a pro framer in NY only a short distance from the Associated Artists studio he was repped by.

The US edition of this book sold 600,000 copies it seems. Mr Keel is best known for the Mothman Prophecies though. The original book had Al Jaffee artwork on the cover so I assume the interior artwork was his too? This UK edition, also from 1966 has a particularly odd cover. "Camp" seems to have been all the rage in the mid 1960s

2115_002.thumb.jpg.d4bac94fd964e219ca7b693e26eb0524.jpg

2115_006.thumb.jpg.765c2d7be1cce04e0eeee7626f7d0d0d.jpg

2115_007.thumb.jpg.c269e60baad634ec964bc8e8f419d4d1.jpg

On 12/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, jimjum12 said:

I got introduced to this one in one of Surfing Alien's sales threads. Apretty copy is a thing of beauty.GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

U9jrpGG.jpg

...and another ...

MEoM86e.jpg

James, to me, there's nothing in the vintage bookmaking world, quite as infectious as a high grade early 1950's Avon paperback with a large striking cover subject and full lamination & gloss :cloud9:

On 12/20/2023 at 11:05 PM, Darwination said:

My only pb I've noticed with lamination (very bad, thin lamination) is a Signet?

Kiss Tomorrow Good-Bye - Horace McCoy (1949 Signet New American Library 754) cover Avati.jpg

All of the major publishers experimented with it at one point or another and they all ended up giving it up. I can't think of any that were still doing it by the late 1950's. It really looks fantastic with such high gloss when it is fully intact but when it goes it can get fugly quick.