• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,236 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2024 at 3:56 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I like the way you Brundage, pal!  :headbang:

I hadn’t thought of it this way until your comment, but I suppose “I only have two of the Weird Tales Conan covers” is actually a pretty sweet humblebrag, given that most people (these forums excepted) have zero.

On 1/27/2024 at 7:40 AM, Surfing Alien said:

I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up a small collection of very high grade Pyramids recently. All unread with perfect spines and just a dimple here and there. They are pretty stunning in hand. "Love Camp" is the nicest copy I've ever seen, which is why I put my undercopy up in the board sale this week. I may put a few more up. They are such nice little productions with art by the likes of Julian Paul, Victor Olson, Lou Kimmel and Frank Cozzarelli. I know, I know, I always gush about my love affair with Pyramids lol

Here's a few highlights:

20240127_082936.thumb.jpg.87372180ebeaf66047425b9d93ef3587.jpg

20240127_083136.thumb.jpg.1e7ca52bb04fb529cf3fa092d7f21ef3.jpg

20240127_082711.thumb.jpg.141f95bc23e0c607d0e6d38fbded89d9.jpg

20240127_083019.thumb.jpg.a4af2d4d8b4e3d3c02f3a41c5a7d2d91.jpg

20240127_083057.thumb.jpg.58bdeb2b1a50ab31578f656d5297789d.jpg

20240127_082756.thumb.jpg.dcc656fb3c28cdc69d8cdcab440f189a.jpg

Those are damn pretty copies, pal!  :headbang:

On 1/31/2024 at 4:05 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Since I consider this the main paperback thread, I always try to announce news here first. Some of you know that I am a bit of a Peanuts fanatic and that I've been working quietly behind the scenes to research and publish a guide to the First Edition, First Printings of the early Peanuts digest sized strip reprint books published by Rinehart & Co. and subsequently by Holt, Rinehart and Winston from 1952 through 1974.

For reference, they look like these:

Peanutslogo.thumb.jpg.1f0d16f4c5ea0cd501d470c1964b553b.jpg

You can work on something forever, tweak endlessly and always wonder if its done and never publish it :insane:  Any of you involved with any research probably knows that circle jerk intimately lol   Well, I promised myself that I would get it online this January and here it is, January 31st and work has been busy and I ran that sale thread and February 1st is looming and it promised to be the day I blew that self-imposed deadline.

So I worked deep into the night a couple nights this week to do some final tweaks and figure out techie things like re-directing domain names and such and conferred with Nat Gertler, the blogger behind Aaugh.com, who provided lots of insight and helpful commentary and promised myself, like Aragorn at the Gates of Mordor, that there might come a day when I blow a self-imposed deadline, but this would not be that day! So yesterday, I sent Nat the link, everything worked and he announced the page on his Aaugh Blog and the site is live :whee:

Here's the link:

https://www.peanutsfirsteditions.com/

It is still a work in progress, I do intend to add some more pictures and documentation of the later Rinehart books and the hardcover books on the introduction page, but I was not gonna let that stop me from getting the checklist posted, which is the meat and potatoes of the project. If any of you like this kind of stuff and want to collect it, I hope the site proves useful and at least somewhat clear in the method of presentation.

The first printings of the first three books are rare. It was and still is quite startling to me how much confusion there is in the marketplace about what constitutes first printings of the first editions. Even the Schulz Museum, who I consulted on the project, had no scholarship on the early editions of the publishing empire that Peanuts became. I hope this site provides some navigation for collectors to find their way a bit in the sea of printings spawned from humble beginnings back in 1952 :wishluck:

Looks great, pal!  Very nice work putting this all together.  I know you've been getting it sorted for awhile now.  :headbang:

On 1/31/2024 at 4:05 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Since I consider this the main paperback thread, I always try to announce news here first. Some of you know that I am a bit of a Peanuts fanatic and that I've been working quietly behind the scenes to research and publish a guide to the First Edition, First Printings of the early Peanuts digest sized strip reprint books published by Rinehart & Co. and subsequently by Holt, Rinehart and Winston from 1952 through 1974.

You can work on something forever, tweak endlessly and always wonder if its done and never publish it :insane:  Any of you involved with any research probably knows that circle jerk intimately lol   Well, I promised myself that I would get it online this January and here it is, January 31st and work has been busy and I ran that sale thread and February 1st is looming and it promised to be the day I blew that self-imposed deadline.

So I worked deep into the night a couple nights this week to do some final tweaks and figure out techie things like re-directing domain names and such and conferred with Nat Gertler, the blogger behind Aaugh.com, who provided lots of insight and helpful commentary and promised myself, like Aragorn at the Gates of Mordor, that there might come a day when I blow a self-imposed deadline, but this would not be that day! So yesterday, I sent Nat the link, everything worked and he announced the page on his Aaugh Blog and the site is live :whee:

Here's the link:

It is still a work in progress, I do intend to add some more pictures and documentation of the later Rinehart books and the hardcover books on the introduction page, but I was not gonna let that stop me from getting the checklist posted, which is the meat and potatoes of the project. If any of you like this kind of stuff and want to collect it, I hope the site proves useful and at least somewhat clear in the method of presentation.

The first printings of the first three books are rare. It was and still is quite startling to me how much confusion there is in the marketplace about what constitutes first printings of the first editions. Even the Schulz Museum, who I consulted on the project, had no scholarship on the early editions of the publishing empire that Peanuts became. I hope this site provides some navigation for collectors to find their way a bit in the sea of printings spawned from humble beginnings back in 1952 :wishluck:

Paging @dover

On 1/31/2024 at 6:00 PM, Randall Dowling said:
On 1/31/2024 at 5:05 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Here's the link:

Expand  

Looks great, pal!  Very nice work putting this all together.  I know you've been getting it sorted for awhile now.  :headbang:

I was addicted to these as a preteen, I snapped up any that had the "weird looking" Peanuts, which turned out to be the early 50's strips. Peanuts has always been out of reach as OA, but one of my big regrets was passing on a 1951 Pogo Strip original at a local rare book store. They wanted $750 for it. Hamilton Books was the name and one of his specialties was N.C. Wyeth material... which I love. I also turned up a few GA collections there. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu