• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2024 at 9:17 AM, moonpool said:
On 2/10/2024 at 6:44 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I would agree that would be an old bookman grading grade. I think I come very much out of comic book world where a VG/F is a decent looking book but has creases and a fair amount of edgewear. I just couldn't grade a pretty looking thing like that book with that grade. 

Which, I guess goes to show, it really is about the pictures provided and disclosure of defects that can't be seen in pics.

That's understandable.  With paper auctions in the 1990's, vg/f was a nice book and probably the best to be expected on keys. Straight fine (or super rare fine+) was rather uncommon.  Plus, for me, a little bit of interior paper issues is near the bottom of issues that bother me.

Another issue that exists with almost all paper collectibles that come in a collated format are the attributes. How much gloss is on the covers? How supple is it? For example, Avons from the 40's and 50's. If they have that full Avon gloss ( ...which is wondrous to behold), I can overlook a small crease or two at the Fine range. I do know I am VERY reluctant to buy from a merchant who provides no images. As with both women and printed collectibles, one man's "fine" is another man's "oh, HELL no!". GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'm a bit picky, and I often see certified 6.0 comics that I wouldn't pay VG money for. Even more so with raw. 

On 2/11/2024 at 1:39 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

well, that said, if you get hold of one of these that you think is too pretty to read make sure you get a reader copy too because the upper right BC blurb is severe understatement. this is not just a book, but a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hang out with a wise and wonderful voice that will help you to the end of your days: may you live long and prosper.

0newts.jpg

This has been on my TBR list for a while. My only copy is a reader copy. I'm reading Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber right now, but this just moved up to next in line based on your recommendation. (thumbsu

Heh, the first British Edition from 37 is a little pricey. 

The wiki says the Marie and Robert Weatherall translation is "uninspired" and there's a couple of newer translations, but I think I'm going to go with the one that yourself, Orwell and Vonnegut seem to like so much.  Here I am with the typical conundrum - buy a 5 or 6 dollar shipping included used modern pressing, a vintage PB, or go with an IA scan. I'm picking that last one this time since I have a bunch of books on the bedside already and the digital option can be read after "lights out" in the love nest without rising the ire of the Mrs. :shiftyeyes:

Edited by Darwination

On 2/12/2024 at 8:42 PM, jimjum12 said:

Here's some more Avons, but I admit I prefer the standard circular logo that was featured on most of the comics. GOD BLESS ... 

PB46.jpg

PB45.jpg

PB42.jpg

PB43.jpg

PB28.jpg

PB15.jpg

CRY TOUGH is the winner for me here, but "Waiting for Willy" is the best title I've seen in a long time!  And grandma sleeping in the rocking chair is just the cherry on top!  

On 2/12/2024 at 7:42 PM, jimjum12 said:

Here's some more Avons, but I admit I prefer the standard circular logo that was featured on most of the comics. GOD BLESS ... 

PB43.jpg

PB28.jpg

These two gentlemen seem to have very different approaches, one seems to be waiting for what's given and the other just can't help but take life by the horns :devil:

All lovely copies but that What's in it for Me? is so colorful and shiny :D

Edited by Darwination

On 2/12/2024 at 6:13 PM, Darwination said:

A new one.  It's so been so rainy for so long in Memphis this came out of the mailbox almost damp even though it was shipped well.  Off the scanner and in between some books on the tight as hell shelf I use for vertical pressing.  No worries, though, next stop is the nightstand.

LittleFuzzy-H.BeamPiper(1962.AvonF-118)coverVictorKalin.thumb.jpg.58d0bb9d820e06f6d486cd5af4a18633.jpg

LittleFuzzy-H.BeamPiper(1962.AvonF-118)rearcoverVictorKalin.thumb.jpg.e6b8011317c5c958c6a6104e0a90cb34.jpgLittleFuzzy-H.BeamPiper(1962.AvonF-118)spine.thumb.jpg.03ee5fc8333706c4e448092f0d6dc7ff.jpg

Self-portrait by Victor Kalin?

d93b30_a5e5c41a4e404e99b4dffb0c8764b53e.

I picked it up on the recommendation of Cynthia Carnahan, the youngest daughter of Worth Carnahan, an artist I've been working on (and she sent me a bunch of neat things to scan.) 

Worth worked on Burten's Follies and The Original Artists and Models way back in the 20s, the earliest covers in Harry Donenfeld's girlie pulp line on titles like Hot Stories, Joy Stories, and La Paree Stories c.1929, published his own magazine with Wild Cherries in the early 30s, was The Stamps Editor in The Lone Ranger Magazine for Trojan in the mid-30s, edited and drew for Champion Comics, Cyclone Comics, and was the packager for O.K. Comics for Bilbara in the late 30s before doing some work at Dell in the early 40s.  During the war he moved to Nashville TN where he did commercial work before working for the state's Fish and Game Department and creating a famed line of hunting and fishing stamps.

Little Fuzzy is a book Worth had given his daughter to read as young teen, and she shared photos of his boxes of (mostly SF) paperbacks he read into his old age.  Worth had Cynthia when he was 56 years old, and she's in her mid-70s.  She has an older sister still alive at 96, too.

Getting to see his collection of paperbacks is pretty cool, cuz show me your books, and I can tell a little something about your very soul, eh?

An excellent book, Piper was a marvelous writer.  Not the best ear for titles, perhaps… Space Viking is a horrible title in my opinion… but a great writer