• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,236 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2024 at 2:20 PM, Randall Dowling said:

The lines look wrong

I agree that, especially her cheeks and jaw look a little harder than Darcy's soft, elegant lines (could be from the beatings she got on Sin Street lol) Bt seriously, as my pal Ruben DaCollector always reminds me, these guys were working under deadlines for small pay and the quality of their work varied widely depending on how much time they had to work on them (or how much the art director overpainted their work to please the publisher) 

Still this is an uncredited painting for sure - but in a similar somewhat loose brush technique (that I think they pretty much all got from Barye Phillips, the master of making incredible outlines out of a few squiggly lines)

On 2/28/2024 at 1:35 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I agree that, especially her cheeks and jaw look a little harder than Darcy's soft, elegant lines (could be from the beatings she got on Sin Street lol) Bt seriously, as my pal Ruben DaCollector always reminds me, these guys were working under deadlines for small pay and the quality of their work varied widely depending on how much time they had to work on them (or how much the art director overpainted their work to please the publisher) 

Still this is an uncredited painting for sure - but in a similar somewhat loose brush technique (that I think they pretty much all got from Barye Phillips, the master of making incredible outlines out of a few squiggly lines)

This is a great point about speed and quality.  I remember speaking with a buddy back in the 90s that was a commercial illustrator and was shocked to hear that not every piece was done by only one artist.  Sometimes an illustrator would execute a painting and then someone would say "I don't like her hair" or "He should be smiling", and then whoever was available to make the change would end up doing it if the original artist was busy with something else.  As he described it to me, there wasn't a lot of ownership over the work.  It was just "the work".  It wasn't fine art, it wasn't expected to have value independent of the usage as a cover, it was just "the work".

So, very possible for all the reasons you list that this could be a rushed piece or overpainted by someone else.  Without direct first hand knowledge from inside the publisher at the time, I guess all we have is supposition.

In my own profession, working on design drawings and construction documents, it's really the same.  Especially with CAD work and BIM modeling, but before that, when we were drawing on mylar, there might have been 4 different people that modified a drawing.  It's all just work, no ownership (unless something is wrong xD).

On 2/28/2024 at 4:34 PM, Darwination said:

I'm not super familiar with Chiriacka (or the full cast of paperback artist alternatives) but I think Sin Street looks like one of his. In fact, I think it looks more typical of his work than The Girl Out Back (the one signed Darcy) that Lowell's got the solid ID on.  It's the eyes, man.  And Chiriacka is at least a little bit of a chameleon, too, in that he worked in different mediums and contexts and with (imo) an evolving style.  The pulp artist's life under a deadline and for low pay is always a truism (ofc, there's the stories of Frazetta cranking out masterpieces the night before they were due), but I find paperback art particularly hard to identify.  Part of it is the "fast and loose" style in vogue in the 50s and (do forgive pb fans!) there's the often horrible print quality and small reproduction (and this is coming from a guy that spends all his time in pulp lol).

Here's one from back in 1942 for Dell from an old scan of mine (with an edit from McCoy):

Sweetheart Stories 316 (1942-08.Dell) cover Ernest Chiriacka (McCoy Edit)

https://archive.org/details/sweetheart-stories-316-1942-08.-dell-d-m-ia

David Saunders has a nice entry for him in his wiki (with a great artist photo and a series of different signature styles) here:
https://www.pulpartists.com/Chiriacka.html

There is absolutely no way I would have pegged Chiriacka for some of the early 40s pulp work in the cover gallery there (especially the westerns), and I suspect Saunders picked some of those since they're commonly misidentified as his dad's work.

I'll toss a few more up here from people I follow on Flickr while we are at it that I like

Esquire Calendar 1953 / Alabama cover 1956

Ernest Chiriacka - Esquire / Alabam'

Hillman Books 135 - Bonnie Golightly - The Intimate Ones

Back cover, Mission for Vengeance, 1958

Gold Medal Books s773 - Peter Rabe - Mission for Vengeance (back)

Esquire Calendar 54

1954 Esquire Calendar - March

Interior illo, Argosy July 1949

The Drums Say Die

No date on this one from Heritage, but I'd say late 40s early 50s slick illustration and my favorite of the batch (low prices realized even on the stunners Randall posted, damn):

ErnestChiriackaillodateuknownThePorchSwing(HA).thumb.jpg.6f3f4b176276c0f391b1a99767aeb3fc.jpg

A pity you can't get to it, Randall, but it's fantastic so many of his originals survive.  There's a great in-depth article on the artist by Saunders with an interview in Illustration #8 (2003).

David's a wealth of knowledge.  He has really wonderful stories about growing up watching his dad work.  I helped my buddy, Steve, when he set up a couple tables at Windy City a couple years ago.  We were lucky enough to be setup next to David and I got to talk to him a bit.  Really great guy.  (thumbsu

On 2/29/2024 at 6:48 PM, jimjum12 said:

I'm no expert, but I am often wrong about unsigned covers. Some artists were just adept at aping a popular style. This one is by Charles Copeland and immediately caught my eye. I've never heard of him, but may start poking around. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

HLwuZ7p.jpg

Woof!

On 2/29/2024 at 9:46 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Yeah, Copeland is awesome.  He did a lot of illustrations in Men's Adventure magazines also.  Both he and Clarence Doore are very unappreciated, IMO.

Heh, had to go looking, not quite as subtle as some of his paperback art, and it gets even trashier :yeehaw:

MALE, May 1973. Art by Charles Copeland MAN'S WORLD, Feb 1967, art by Charles Copeland

via Subtropic Bob Deis' Flickr

On 2/29/2024 at 11:02 PM, Darwination said:

Heh, had to go looking, not quite as subtle as some of his paperback art, and it gets even trashier :yeehaw:

MALE, May 1973. Art by Charles Copeland MAN'S WORLD, Feb 1967, art by Charles Copeland

via Subtropic Bob Deis' Flickr

Pardon my boorishness, but that gal has the kind of buttocks that make a fella come straight home from work. GOD BLESS ...

=jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/1/2024 at 8:41 AM, Darwination said:

seinfeld-kramer.gif

Back that thing up!

... GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... where's that Youtube clip of Eddy Murphy's "Boogie In the Butt" when you need it?:bigsmile:

Edited by jimjum12