• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,236 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2024 at 7:53 PM, jimjum12 said:

Some refer to them as "Social Relevance" topics, an easy way to dodge the occasional stigma :whistle: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

p4oQcAV.jpg

I see you originally posted this one, James. Gotta like the background! The art and stories are so intriguing. Guessing I won’t find the stories on my Audible App. I’ll need to pick up a couple readers. 

On 3/6/2024 at 9:59 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I see you originally posted this one, James. Gotta like the background! The art and stories are so intriguing. Guessing I won’t find the stories on my Audible App. I’ll need to pick up a couple readers. 

It's a minimal expense for readers, just remember the pages can come loose even if you're careful. It would likely be worse with attic books. Even the unread display specimens can be reasonable if you avoid the keys and icon books. I'm not truly sure which ones all of those would even be. I missed out on Christmas last year with my stroke, so I had a few Christmas presents due to me. Instead of ties and leopard skin skivvies, I was allowed to ask for specific things and got a few paperbacks, one was "I, Robot" and was kind of pricey, but I sure like it. Cool hobby, but those 10's and 20's can add up, if one isn't discriminating. Some of my favorites are in grade and cost 15 or 20 bucks. Happy hunting. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/7/2024 at 8:50 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's a minimal expense for readers, just remember the pages can come loose even if you're careful. It would likely be worse with attic books. Even the unread display specimens can be reasonable if you avoid the keys and icon books. I'm not truly sure which ones all of those would even be. I missed out on Christmas last year with my stroke, so I had a few Christmas presents due to me. Instead of ties and leopard skin skivvies, I was allowed to ask for specific things and got a few paperbacks, one was "I, Robot" and was kind of pricey, but I sure like it. Cool hobby, but those 10's and 20's can add up, if one isn't discriminating. Some of my favorites are in grade and cost 15 or 20 bucks. Happy hunting. GOD BLESS ...

Thanks, James. With you and Lowell pointing me in the right direction I’m confident my aim will be true! 

On 3/7/2024 at 9:16 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

Thanks, James. With you and Lowell pointing me in the right direction I’m confident my aim will be true! 

Thanks for the compliment, but Lowell has forgotten more than I'll ever know. Most of my knowledge came from this very thread, to which I was a late comer. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/7/2024 at 4:10 PM, Surfing Alien said:

You all are too kind - of course Pat is the OG of this thread - posting on the very first page waaaaay back in 2014  - As I was perusing that page the other day, I did notice that jimjum12 stopped by and commented way back then, so it looks like you had some curiosity but the pb bug sat dormant in you until more recently James (thumbsu.

It's a lot of fun to go back and see that folks were talking about the very same things we do today, including CGC grading pulps lol   Mostly though there's lots of great pics that started this muthalode of pb goodness going. I think I started posting around 2017, which is when I was getting my toe wet with some buying again after quite a long hiatus. I'm pretty sure I started out going after Juvenile Delinquency/Gang books because that was always my first love, having acquired some of the big grails in the wild back in the 80's in my first collection.

While it's true that you can still find great books for 10's and 20's the increase in competition is palpable and better books get a lot of bids - I see far more 3 figure sales than ever. My advice for anyone has always been to buy stuff you love and you'll never go broke. Prices still vary so widely, you still might find a $100 book in a lot full of drek by an unknowing seller (The only problem with those finds is, then you gotta deal with the drek lol ) But those finds are fewer and fewer - so my new advice is, go away, nothing to see here :whistle: :insane:

I was a latecomer to the thread... I didn't show up until page 6, four days after it started. :nyah:

On 3/7/2024 at 5:23 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Damn, you get to play in the Old Timer's Game too! :baiting: lol

I really didn't post much the first 50 or so pages, to be fair.  I was amused to see that my 1st post in the thread was about John D. MacDonald and my 2nd was about PKD.  I certainly started out right on brand, at least!

Gotta give OtherEric his due, he's a run collector of many things, old school. Ace's and Avons for the most part in the pb world. That's a lot of books to go for but considering you completed the Warren mags, I'm sure you'll take them down in your quietly determined way :headbang:

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 3/7/2024 at 7:36 PM, jimjum12 said:

Thanks to Lowell, I've had to settle for a beater just to have one ... dambit! GOD BLESS ... 

rRl18wZ.jpg

Such a classic. I don't feel bad for forcing you to acquire it lol I'd say a step above a beater - the kind of book that, if vintage pbs keep getting collected, could be like lower grade golden age key comics - nice things to have in the long run (shrug)

On 3/8/2024 at 7:55 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Such a classic. I don't feel bad for forcing you to acquire it lol I'd say a step above a beater - the kind of book that, if vintage pbs keep getting collected, could be like lower grade golden age key comics - nice things to have in the long run (shrug)

You were right, too ... this one is just not out there... one more copy I saw that is slightly nicer@$75. It's 1943, IIRC, so it really IS golden age. GOD BLESS ...