• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,246 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2024 at 8:41 PM, Darwination said:

Very interested in this one (and would love the original but hell if I'm gonna pay a hundred bucks for a reader), so a modern printing it is.

One reason it's so rare and $$$ is there were no modern printings for 60 or so years so anyone who heard the buzz about it had to dig up a 1st or 2nd. The modern noir renaissance is your friend :)  

Now a nut like me, since I'm really liking it, is going to have to go all out to find a real nice copy of the 1st, because I have to have nice 1st pbs of books I love :frustrated:

On 3/8/2024 at 9:02 PM, Surfing Alien said:

One reason it's so rare and $$$ is there were no modern printings for 60 or so years so anyone who heard the buzz about it had to dig up a 1st or 2nd. The modern noir renaissance is your friend :)  

Now a nut like me, since I'm really liking it, is going to have to go all out to find a real nice copy of the 1st, because I have to have nice 1st pbs of books I love :frustrated:

Now I see the madness. The fun. Seeds are planted for that one rare book — those awesome rarity of books and nostalgia. Some with pretty women whose boobs point straight up and they look so nice. Some with gangsters — because we know crime is a part of it all. Plant the seeds, boys. And I shall do my part to secure what I can! 

Seems like I have a ton of modern UK printings of noir stuff. Three or four books printed in one - maybe the difference in copyright law allowed them to print in the PD more quickly?  Or something. The sad fact is these days I get a used copy of a mass market modern printing from a second hand bookseller shipped for five MAYBE ten bucks.  No author or estate is getting paid, no publisher is getting paid, and some bookseller is making .50 on the margins (shrug)

On 3/8/2024 at 9:31 PM, Darwination said:

Seems like I have a ton of modern UK printings of noir stuff. Three or four books printed in one - maybe the difference in copyright law allowed them to print in the PD more quickly?  Or something. The sad fact is these days I get a used copy of a mass market modern printing from a second hand bookseller shipped for five MAYBE ten bucks.  No author or estate is getting paid, no publisher is getting paid, and some bookseller is making .50 on the margins (shrug)

I have an entire box of Black Lizards, the first real noir revival, which started when I was still piling up my first collection in the '80's. Those were all filtered properly through author estates when published as far as I know, but the UK stuff I have no idea. 

On 3/8/2024 at 9:42 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Done. 

IMG_1061.jpeg

Just so we are clear — I did not make this purchase! I guess I was wondering where yall go to make such purchases? Part of the learning curve — the true and sacred advice. 

On 3/8/2024 at 10:26 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Just so we are clear — I did not make this purchase! I guess I was wondering where yall go to make such purchases? Part of the learning curve — the true and sacred advice. 

There and ebay are definitely the largest aggregators of sellers but much top material exchanges without the public getting a whiff 

On 3/8/2024 at 10:38 PM, Surfing Alien said:

There and ebay are definitely the largest aggregators of sellers but much top material exchanges without the public getting a whiff 

Really like the sound of no public whiffing. Rule #1: Ask here first. Got it. And it makes sense!

On 3/8/2024 at 7:30 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I think of Curt Cobain when I see this title. I knew where I was when the news came out about his death. Do folks in this group feel the same or am I throwing grunge into Beatles? 

I like my classics, but still listen to Alt Rock even today. Good music is happening right now ... Cobain was phenomenal and tragic. Genius seems to bring that out in some musicians. I'm also a huge Pearl Jam fan. Sometimes we listen to Cage The Elephant all day, or the Stones, or Chicago, or Zeppelin ... :cloud9: GOD BLESS .....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 3/8/2024 at 9:02 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Why does nice have to be SO nice ... and expensive. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

On 3/8/2024 at 8:19 PM, Darwination said:

I'm a huge Beatles fan (fave album: Abbey Road followed by the White Album), but I have some serious PTSD from a bar I inhabited in younger days where the entire bar would break out in a drunken rendition of Yellow Submarine about closing time once a month (:

Cobain is solidly of my generation (X, grew up in a punk/hardcore scene too hip for Nirvana but caught on).  Thought of them this week when I heard this one for the first time ever (visiting lots of late 70s early 80s punk/new wave these days that I missed out on the first time around):

When I was attending the Kubert School when I was younger, I saw the Dead Kennedy's and The Damned at a local venue. My first experience with a mosh pit. A mosh pit would finish me off now. GOD BLESS ...

On 3/9/2024 at 7:17 AM, jimjum12 said:

When I was attending the Kubert School when I was younger, I saw the Dead Kennedy's and The Damned at a local venue. My first experience with a mosh pit. A mosh pit would finish me off now. GOD BLESS ...

Cool, did you ever get to doing illustration?

In the 80's I was pretty well entrenched in the New York City Death Metal/Hardcore punk scene. Played at CBGB's & L'Amours and quite a few other legendary local spots. I was in mosh pits that would disintegrate me now :makepoint::kidaround::slapfight::tonofbricks:lol

On 3/9/2024 at 9:06 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Cool, did you ever get to doing illustration?

In the 80's I was pretty well entrenched in the New York City Death Metal/Hardcore punk scene. Played at CBGB's & L'Amours and quite a few other legendary local spots. I was in mosh pits that would disintegrate me now :makepoint::kidaround::slapfight::tonofbricks:lol

I worked on a few B&W Indy published books. I did some penciling, co-writing, inking and lettering. I could do very good work without a deadline, but with one, I finally had to admit I was just painfully mediocre. I didn't want to be a hack, so I moved on to printing, ad work, and sign painting. Money wasn't that good there either and I then found my way to forklifts and manufacturing, Didn't look back, except, of course, when I don't want to back over someone. My stroke put me out of work a little earlier than I wanted. GOD BLESS ... 

On 3/9/2024 at 6:30 AM, jimjum12 said:

This one seems to have a little bit of icon status, by a young Harlan Ellison, in his formative JD period. GOD BLESS ... 

... not my copy.

Rockabilly by Harlan Ellison-Vintage Gold Medal Paperback Original-1961 - Picture 1 of 3

One of Mitchell Hooks' best covers, IMO.  I really like his work and he did a fair amount of it.  I've been looking for the right copy of this SEP for a long time (I don't like address labels and, of course, looking for fresh looking copies- tough criteria for these mags).

1966_09_10-423x573.jpg.a4b0f909a40b5f27ce44581d59b2301b.jpg

Edited by Randall Dowling