• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2024 at 9:55 AM, alecholland said:

Been on a book buying tear the last couple months. I think I've added about 50 new books.

Didn't take October Country out of the bag because it's pretty snug in there. I don't have any of the larger sleeves, so waiting until I get some to move that one into a new sleeve.

OctoberCountry.thumb.jpg.25af41e4885d1eef6a1603a1b23f2f1e.jpg

MadKing.thumb.jpg.82a39f740d67ccbdb986237febe5e7a5.jpg

LandOfTerror.thumb.jpg.6494403574924f8ef661bfecdec4300a.jpg

IncompleteEnchanter.thumb.jpg.8893567d682df5ef6236eb8652b4e251.jpg

GraveyardReader.thumb.jpg.223e1089a7f4327272c56df17624f7d6.jpg

BirdOfTime.thumb.jpg.dbf61816c9ff324615f883d2826c3395.jpg

6SilentScream.thumb.jpg.c33407560fc8a046586af3f64263b882.jpg

Nice books!  The Incomplete Enchanter is new to me so on the list it goes.  Thanks for sharing!

On 3/9/2024 at 6:19 AM, jimjum12 said:

I worked on a few B&W Indy published books. I did some penciling, co-writing, inking and lettering. I could do very good work without a deadline, but with one, I finally had to admit I was just painfully mediocre. I didn't want to be a hack, so I moved on to printing, ad work, and sign painting. Money wasn't that good there either and I then found my way to forklifts and manufacturing, Didn't look back, except, of course, when I don't want to back over someone. My stroke put me out of work a little earlier than I wanted. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

If you don't mind us asking, how is the recovery going, Jimbo?

On 3/9/2024 at 12:18 PM, jimjum12 said:

I went from being unable to stand, have a bowel movement, dress myself, or hardly feel my left side to being able to do some cooking and limited packaging. I was unable to walk and then moved to a walker for a couple of months, then a cane for a couple months, now I can limp and shuffle around like a zombie ... very jerky and off balance, but at least not bed ridden. I drop things from my left hand, can't pick up change or small things with it. I don't think I'll ever be back to work full time. Maybe part time. I was forced to apply early for SS to survive ... like they say, it's no country for old men. I still have some inventory I need to sell off, but no one's buying much. Probably going to consign it somewhere. I'm still kicking though. I definitely won't be doing the bi-weekly sales threads anymore, it just takes too long to do large scale shipping. I have taxes coming up and may try to do one small thread, depending on what I owe. Having the stroke in December caused me to miss most of one of the better months in the year. The boards have helped keep me from spiraling into the abyss of madness and boredom. :foryou: GOD BLESS ... 

Can't keep a good man down, James!  Nice work on the recovery.  I know it's frustrating and really challenging but keep up the fight.  I know I'm not the only one that appreciates you here.  :headbang:

On 3/9/2024 at 10:18 AM, jimjum12 said:

I went from being unable to stand, have a bowel movement, dress myself, or hardly feel my left side to being able to do some cooking and limited packaging. I was unable to walk and then moved to a walker for a couple of months, then a cane for a couple months, now I can limp and shuffle around like a zombie ... very jerky and off balance, but at least not bed ridden. I drop things from my left hand, can't pick up change or small things with it. I don't think I'll ever be back to work full time. Maybe part time. I was forced to apply early for SS to survive ... like they say, it's no country for old men. I still have some inventory I need to sell off, but no one's buying much. Probably going to consign it somewhere. I'm still kicking though. I definitely won't be doing the bi-weekly sales threads anymore, it just takes too long to do large scale shipping. I have taxes coming up and may try to do one small thread, depending on what I owe. Having the stroke in December caused me to miss most of one of the better months in the year. The boards have helped keep me from spiraling into the abyss of madness and boredom. :foryou: GOD BLESS ... 

It sounds like you're doing well in relative terms, compared to many other people I've known who had strokes.  But that's not meant to diminish the lousy bits.  Good luck, we're all still rooting for you, and thank you for the update.

On 3/9/2024 at 1:00 PM, Darwination said:

The thrill of the hunt :D

Anybody know what the print run was on the early Avons?  Any resources out there as far as that sort of info goes for pbs?

I have no hard info.  I can say that, at least on the Murder Mystery Monthlies, the earlier volumes are generally easier, with the last three being famously hard to find.  It seems to me that issues 7-11 are a bit harder than the surrounding issues, as well, but that could be wartime paper rationing, or just that there are several popular titles in that range.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:03 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I’ve been humming this tune ever since I listened to this yesterday. I can’t get it out of my head!

Good news!  I have a cure for earworms like that, and purely coincidentally it involves a Beatles song as well.

Any time you get a song lodged in your head like that, start singing "Strawberry Fields Forever" to yourself.  This will instantly overwrite any other song you've got stuck in your ear at the moment.  But it will also disappear within about five minutes, leaving you free of earworms until you catch your next one.

A friend taught me that trick about 15 years ago now.  I thought it was a joke at first, but it really does work.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:55 AM, alecholland said:

Been on a book buying tear the last couple months. I think I've added about 50 new books.

Didn't take October Country out of the bag because it's pretty snug in there. I don't have any of the larger sleeves, so waiting until I get some to move that one into a new sleeve.

OctoberCountry.thumb.jpg.25af41e4885d1eef6a1603a1b23f2f1e.jpg

MadKing.thumb.jpg.82a39f740d67ccbdb986237febe5e7a5.jpg

LandOfTerror.thumb.jpg.6494403574924f8ef661bfecdec4300a.jpg

IncompleteEnchanter.thumb.jpg.8893567d682df5ef6236eb8652b4e251.jpg

GraveyardReader.thumb.jpg.223e1089a7f4327272c56df17624f7d6.jpg

BirdOfTime.thumb.jpg.dbf61816c9ff324615f883d2826c3395.jpg

6SilentScream.thumb.jpg.c33407560fc8a046586af3f64263b882.jpg

Fantastic lot

On 3/9/2024 at 4:00 PM, Darwination said:

The thrill of the hunt :D

Anybody know what the print run was on the early Avons?  Any resources out there as far as that sort of info goes for pbs?

Anywhere from 50-200k by the late 1940's. Most second and later printings of "Round Circle Avons" had printing information inside. Incredibly, "Neon Wilderness" by Algren, with the famous Ray Johnson prostitute in red dress cover, sold a million copies in its various printings, but it's very hard to find today.