• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,927 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2024 at 2:23 PM, jimjum12 said:

I don't have this yet, but it will fit nicely in with my other famous modern authors, and it was 10 bucks in grade. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

PB576.webp

It's funny, you don't see many bargains in GGA anymore, but actual "literature"? Quite a few if you're patient.

On 7/27/2024 at 3:25 PM, Surfing Alien said:

It's funny, you don't see many bargains in GGA anymore, but actual "literature"? Quite a few if you're patient.

There's a little pile on eBay... I'm glad, as it's a keeper. I wish my "On The Road" fit that bill. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 7/27/2024 at 4:19 PM, Darwination said:

That Adventures in the Skin Trade is going on the wantlist, Jimbo. Cool cover plus Dylan Thomas in pulp form.

The Delicate Vice - Sloan Britton (aka Elaine Williams) (1963.Midwood 310) cover.  Previously released as Unnatural on Midwood 47 (and F-191).  Love the streetscape behind on both sides.

TheDelicateVice-SloanBritton(1963.Midwood310)cover.thumb.jpg.0b1825acd5703609b664b412d9f1472b.jpg

TheDelicateVice-SloanBritton(1963.Midwood310)rearcover.thumb.jpg.f3fb0da9ef25aa967f4fd7ef569c111b.jpg

a split spine copy of Laura which I picked up from Steve, as I wanted to read it again and not muck up the minty Dell I posted back there

Laura - Vera Caspary (1950.Dell 284) cover Sam Cherry

Laura-VeraCaspary(1950.Dell284)coverSamCherry.thumb.jpg.539a0282ddc6924efa2f94c2e2c06ad1.jpg

and this one's going on the nightstand, too, with Pat's recommendation of Trimble, unsure of the artist, Don Neiser on the flip

CargofortheStyx-LouisTrimble(1949.AceD-409)coverPBO.thumb.jpg.da8de4cda689bb615a9d4879b240b8d9.jpg

TerrorTournament-J.M.Flynn(1949.AceD-409)coverDonNeiser.thumb.jpg.10dfeab3b86f89a9971c38d07acf474c.jpg

Nice! Laura made for a great flick!

image.thumb.png.e3ed4c8e140ad3d5b1c1748c91a223b0.png

On 7/28/2024 at 5:56 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some more High Grade collection goodness... look at your spines... most of 'em don't look like this... Highly unusual to find with no edgewear

20230123_215046.thumb.jpg.920da32ff72511987ea28f3e8c389e18.jpg

I might be able to find 11 D-series spines in my collection that look like that to create a similar photo... but I've got 162 D-series doubles in my collection at last count, so I could pick and choose quite a bit.

On 7/28/2024 at 9:02 PM, OtherEric said:

I might be able to find 11 D-series spines in my collection that look like that to create a similar photo... but I've got 162 D-series doubles in my collection at last count, so I could pick and choose quite a bit.

This is a small sample of what came out of one collection in one box a couple of years ago. 

On 7/28/2024 at 9:02 PM, OtherEric said:

I believe a couple of the High Grade collection are in your boxes now 🤛

On 7/28/2024 at 6:19 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I believe a couple of the High Grade collection are in your boxes now 🤛

I'm pretty sure a few of them are.  Weren't they supposedly from the same source as one of the comic pedigrees?  I want to say White Mountain, but I'm not positive.

On 7/28/2024 at 8:23 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm pretty sure a few of them are.  Weren't they supposedly from the same source as one of the comic pedigrees?  I want to say White Mountain, but I'm not positive.

I have a few of the paperbacks from the White Mountain collector.  I think SA's books came from another source.

Most of the White Mountain books are recognizable by the date stamp on the first page, which he used to track when he purchased books.  On eBay, cozyspaceship was selling a bunch of them many years ago.  Haven't seen him list any for quite some time.

On 7/28/2024 at 8:33 PM, OtherEric said:

I do have one like that I got from Lowell... but it may have been sourced a different way, not part of the high grade collection, and I was getting them mixed up.

Ace D 533.jpg

image.jpg

That looks correct.  All my White Mountain books have that same style of stamp, same location.  (thumbsu

On 7/28/2024 at 9:30 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I have a few of the paperbacks from the White Mountain collector.  I think SA's books came from another source.

Most of the White Mountain books are recognizable by the date stamp on the first page, which he used to track when he purchased books.  On eBay, cozyspaceship was selling a bunch of them many years ago.  Haven't seen him list any for quite some time.

True, different sources. Both from New England though (thumbsu

On 7/28/2024 at 9:33 PM, OtherEric said:

I do have one like that I got from Lowell... but it may have been sourced a different way, not part of the high grade collection, and I was getting them mixed up.

Ace D 533.jpg

image.jpg

I have a fair pile of the White Mountain paperbacks. I sold you this one because It's not in my core collecting and loved your passion to fill the run. This is a fun one :headbang: