• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,454 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2024 at 11:13 AM, Darwination said:

Pretty sure these are same publisher as the Uni-books.  Weird little digests - I've only had that second Army Romances, but the production values were not high :D

These are long before the Universal Digests started but are also cheap paper covers. And they are all about the cover art, not the stories, which are short MAM type fantasies. They do have Warren King in common with Uni, as Uni hired King for a bunch of covers in the 1950's.

The first issue with the Schomburg war cover is exceedingly rare, much rarer than his comic covers. The four other issues are all scarce to rare and all have King covers with leggy good girls.

I think they were meant to be breezy stories for the troops as the horror of the war wore down in late '45, early 46

On 2/28/2024 at 2:02 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Definitely not the writer. I think it looks a lot like Ernest Chiriaka's work, seen here (as his pseudonym "Darcy") on Charles Williams' superb "Girl Out Back" from the same time frame. I see my pal Steve Wallace on Flickr hasn't put a credit on but I bet he'd agree the semi-loose brushwork and composition style is very similar. Chiriaka did a TON of cover paintings in the 50's & early 60's, many for Dell. If not him, someone in the style for sure.

20240228_111006.thumb.jpg.a1fcbabf8646f8cbd0a7aab56c37a244.jpg

This pretty undercopy may appear in another thread around here this weekend :)

"Girl Out Back" is great, and a real nice Chiriaka cover as well. When I posted my undercopy a couple of months ago I was going to sell it but put it back on the shelf. There's some books I just really like to have more than one nice copy of :)

On 6/9/2024 at 1:01 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Robert Maguire original artwork for "Summer Street" by Hal Ellson, Ballantine No. 27, 1952.

It's very early for him, before he started with the large good girls. Still a cool JD piece and both front and back paintings :cloud9:

It's in need of a fair amount of restoration and framing, both of which I'm happy to do to preserve his legacy (thumbsu

Original art is so rewarding to handle.

20240608_154555.thumb.jpg.c881ad47d1f92b3feee2dd7d4fe6c42a.jpg

What is the substrate for those two? GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/9/2024 at 1:58 PM, jimjum12 said:

Not everyone digs Powers. He sought an original approach where many contented themselves with a "house" style. That being said, the market was so compepetitive that the true duds were few, from every studio. GOD BLESS ...

PB296.jpg

I like Powers a lot, I love this one, a favorite. Of course, this has the surrealist cohesiveness of the background, which I associate with Dali.

My comments of indifference are in reference to his covers that are mostly just squiggly lines or lines and shapes, of which there are plenty, that leave me cold, as much of the Pollack splatter type modern art does. I wouldn't spend anyone's millions on that, but I'd buy the Hell's Pavement OA in a second :)

On 6/9/2024 at 2:10 PM, Surfing Alien said:

The standard Bainbridge Board. They are large though

Not to continue pestering, but was he oil, guache, acrylic, or watercolor? Last question today, I promise. GOD BLESS ...

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 2:23 PM, OtherEric said:

I think this is Powers, but very minimalist even for him. 

PermaP067.thumb.jpg.5910ed4db878304dcc02f429a0020499.jpg

I like this one. It has the minimum required perspective field to keep my attention and look like a picture.

Actually like a nice b/w interior turned into a cover(thumbsu

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 6/9/2024 at 2:22 PM, jimjum12 said:

Not to continue pestering, but was he oil, guache, acrylic, or watercolor? Last question today, I promise. GOD BLESS ...

Oil, applied in many layers of thickness from a wisp to globs. He definitely was experimenting a lot on this early painting.

Likely because of such a wide angle city/sea scape view, maybe the earliest I've seen like this of his. So many of his paintings are relatively close up, this has a sketchy, impressionistic feel. I'm sure getting a Ballantine cover in 1952 was a big deal for him.