• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,454 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2024 at 7:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Lamination is part of the book as printed. I can not get past that and thus can not peel off even flaky tattered lamination, I just try to stabilize it the best I can. If pbs ever get graded there would have to be a hefty downgrade to the max grade a book could get that had its lamination peeled off entirely imho.

No disagreement here.  For me, it's a similar problem to the tattered overhangs on some pulps.  Does it look better trimmed?  A lot of people probably think so.  Do I think trimming is a good idea?  No.

It's a tough issue but I do understand the frustration with lamination that's 40% attached and flapping loose on a book.  As I said, I've peeled loose lamination off of a copy of Dracula.  It looks better than it did but I still think it's missing the lamination and should be downgraded for it accordingly.   2c

If it's falling off too much, and we're talking about a ten or twenty dollar mass market book, I'm not gonna weep for that funky lamination. 

I can definitely see a fully laminated book being more desirable and would like to know if a book is missing its lamination, but if it gets annoying to the look or the handle of the thing, I reserve the right to take it off :D  If we're talking about a truly scarce book in terms of conservation (or valuable, considering resale) I can live with it.

The nice thing is that tattered lamination is harmless.  Unlike the situation where some jokers :shiftyeyes: prefer "original" rusty- staples to staple-less intact paper or replaced staples in comic books.

I have enjoyed hearing the opinions from the purist to the practical on this matter :golfclap:

Edited by Darwination

On 6/27/2024 at 12:17 PM, OtherEric said:

So, @jimjum12 included a second book as a bonus with The Left Hand of Darkness.  But it seemed like such a generous addition I didn't post it here or even open the bag, because I wanted to make sure it wasn't a misdirected book for somebody else.  (It happens sometimes to the best of us.)  Jimbo assured me it was deliberate, and pointed out something I hadn't actually seen since I hadn't opened the book.

I'm nearly speechless with gratitude, what an amazing gift.  Thank you, Jimbo!

Ballantine 046.jpg

IMG_2627.jpeg

Thank YOU for all your contributions to this cool little corner of paper ephemera. (worship) I've learned so much from youse guys. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/27/2024 at 11:17 AM, OtherEric said:

So, @jimjum12 included a second book as a bonus with The Left Hand of Darkness.  But it seemed like such a generous addition I didn't post it here or even open the bag, because I wanted to make sure it wasn't a misdirected book for somebody else.  (It happens sometimes to the best of us.)  Jimbo assured me it was deliberate, and pointed out something I hadn't actually seen since I hadn't opened the book.

I'm nearly speechless with gratitude, what an amazing gift.  Thank you, Jimbo!

Ballantine 046.jpg

Incredible cover - I really like Powers surreal and sometimes horrific star and planetscapes. Does this mean he was left handed?

Not as good (imo) - a later take (and not my book)

s-l1600.webp

Edited by Darwination