• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$3200 to spend - help me narrow my choices

44 posts in this topic

Everyone's threshold is different, my comfort zone for a comic book is around $1200. I'm sure that puts me in the cheap seats, but so be it.

I like the idea of buying an AF15 if you had money to burn.

You’re not alone, Doc! ;)

Anyway, if an exception should be made… a Fantastic Four #1 would be my choice, but I would not feel comfortable keeping money "on hold" on a single book, unless I find a real bargain (most of my expensive comics have been obtained thrugh trading).

Everyone's threshold is different, my comfort zone for a comic book is around $1200. I'm sure that puts me in the cheap seats, but so be it.

I like the idea of buying an AF15 if you had money to burn.

You’re not alone, Doc! ;)

Anyway, if an exception should be made… a Fantastic Four #1 would be my choice, but I would not feel comfortable keeping money "on hold" on a single book, unless I find a real bargain (most of my expensive comics have been obtained thrugh trading).

FF #1 is always a good choice - I'm torn between AF15 and FF 1 as my favorite SA books.

I'd get the nicest Hulk 1 I could find. But that's just a personal choice and has no bearing on investment growth.

At this point, I don't think $3,200 would get you an AF#15 with the criteria you've laid out. Heck, a 1.0 sold in December for $5K, so you'd be looking at a coverless copy.

I agree with the Hulk #1 suggestion.

With a budget of $3200 I would like to pick up a CGC book with the following criteria:

- no cream colored pages

- no rips or writing on front or back cover

I think those two narrow the choices greatly. A lot of SA keys are not going to be available in this price range without the strong possibility of these defects.

Im thinking you could get a low-mid grade TOS39 SC22 or TMNT 1 that would meet those qualifications for $3200.

With a budget of $3200 I would like to pick up a CGC book with the following criteria:

- no cream colored pages

I think those two narrow the choices greatly. A lot of SA keys are not going to be available in this price range without the strong possibility of these defects.

Im thinking you could get a low-mid grade TOS39 SC22 or TMNT 1 that would meet those qualifications for $3200.

ahem...

FF 5, 13, 48, 52

All are keys and he could get a nice copy of any of them for $3200 :gossip:

- no cream colored pages

ahem...

FF 5, 13, 48, 52

All are keys and he could get a nice copy of any of them for $3200 :gossip:

Yes he could, I didn't say all SA keys.

Please stop suggesting TMNT #1 until I get my copy...thank you, that is all

;)

Love the Ant-Man advertisement you're sporting in your sigline. I want to steal it for my own sigline. :devil:

As for the question here, I've got my homer glasses on so I would go TTA 27 or TTA 35. You can get a nice copy of either of them with $3200. Other than that, the best presenting and unrestored Hulk 1 or X-Men 1 you can find.

- no cream colored pages

- no modern variants

OK, so thanks to the advice and wisdom of a boardie, I have the following title under consideration:

Fantastic Four #1 CGC 3.0

Any other suggestions for a book that you feel has good potential to increase in value over time?

FF 1 would be my choice as well.

A bronze alternative would be 2 9.8 W copies of ASM 122. Only a matter of time before that book catches up with 121.

I would get a A15 or a BB28.

BB28 has outrun hulk 1 and all the other fellow SA grails in recent year and JLA hasnt even started yet. The greater scarcity means thst when demand increases the upward price pressure will be much greater.

AF15 because I think it will continue to outpace the other marvel grails eventhough Spider man has already enjoyed max exposure.

FF1 is an important book but if you are also looking to make an investment then it is hard to argue what should happen in the future that will sharply increase value.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Really cool thread to get some ideas for the money spent. I would suggest going for whatever makes you happiest - yes, we are in it for a profit but no matter what, we are all collectors at heart and having a key issue that is easily explainable to the layperson is irreplaceable. My 30th birthday is coming up this year and my girlfriend asks me what do you want? My obvious response is a Batman related comic to add to my wall....

No thread kidnapping intended....hopefully it will gain more responses and give some ideas to the OP and other board members. These are some of my favorite thread topics because it shows how creative we can all be given a particular budget.

Budget is around $2,000 or under...

My first thoughts are...

Tech 58

Brave and the Bold 28

Tech 168 (if I can find a lower grade copy)

Batman 4

I don't mind a lower grade copy. I rather have a lower grade copy of a key book than none at all!

Please stop suggesting TMNT #1 until I get my copy...thank you, that is all

;)

Love the Ant-Man advertisement you're sporting in your sigline. I want to steal it for my own sigline. :devil:

As for the question here, I've got my homer glasses on so I would go TTA 27 or TTA 35. You can get a nice copy of either of them with $3200. Other than that, the best presenting and unrestored Hulk 1 or X-Men 1 you can find.

Steal away bud...