• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 15 of Digital Age.....

41 posts in this topic

are we talking for quality (very subjective) or for value (much more objective versus everyones opinion)

I think value has to be the main factor with modern books, it would be interesting to look at the most valuable books, excluding variants, errors, recalls, etc. (aka natural rarity versus artificial)

I was going for quality imo and something I thought would mean a lot to a lot of comics readers. TWD will probably clean up on pure numbers but I'm game either way. :grin:

TWD 19

TWD 27

Saga 1

Peter Panzerfaust 1

Thief Of Thieves 1

Injustice Gods Among Us 1

Chew 1

Todd The Ugliest Kid On Earth 1

Civil War

Rachael Rising 1

Locke and Key 1

hard to say if some of these will still be keys in the future though...

TWD 19

TWD 27

Saga 1

Peter Panzerfaust 1

Thief Of Thieves 1

Chew 1

Civil War

Rachael Rising 1

Locke and Key 1

govt is dead, idk if this comic will lose "value" or go up 6-12 months from now.

TWD 19

TWD 27

Saga 1

Peter Panzerfaust 1

Thief Of Thieves 1

Chew 1

Civil War

Rachael Rising 1

Locke and Key 1

govt is dead, idk if this comic will lose "value" or go up 6-12 months from now.

:o

Spoilers

This is one of the reasons why we should go based off of monetary value and not simply what each of us see as being our own keys. I'm a die hard Marvel fan but I have to say that Civil War isn't a key in any way shape or form. This was a book where some dumbasses making a reality show, let the world know that they were just that. Then the Avengers lack of accountability for themselves caused a war which two events later did nothing. Captain America is a bad guy, Captain America is dead, Captain America is alive, oh now we like each other because of the Skrulls yet put a psycho incharge, then he crashes the Gods home and back to square one. Avengers like each other, Cap is Alive.

Additionally I'm not a huge fan of Peter Pan, Locking some ones keys up, Rachel going somewhere or Stealing from each other but if monetary value is there for each of those series to be in the top 10 - 15 then go for it. Frankly the Govenor became popular when the TV show came out and now that he's dead...

Out of the entire list, TWD #19 was the only one with any decent stay power to me.

I guess just my opinion but I say this conversation goes Monetary and not based off of feel good feelings toward a series.

This is one of the reasons why we should go based off of monetary value and not simply what each of us see as being our own keys. I'm a die hard Marvel fan but I have to say that Civil War isn't a key in any way shape or form. This was a book where some dumbasses making a reality show, let the world know that they were just that. Then the Avengers lack of accountability for themselves caused a war which two events later did nothing. Captain America is a bad guy, Captain America is dead, Captain America is alive, oh now we like each other because of the Skrulls yet put a psycho incharge, then he crashes the Gods home and back to square one. Avengers like each other, Cap is Alive.

Additionally I'm not a huge fan of Peter Pan, Locking some ones keys up, Rachel going somewhere or Stealing from each other but if monetary value is there for each of those series to be in the top 10 - 15 then go for it. Frankly the Govenor became popular when the TV show came out and now that he's dead...

Out of the entire list, TWD #19 was the only one with any decent stay power to me.

I guess just my opinion but I say this conversation goes Monetary and not based off of feel good feelings toward a series.

I couldn't disagree more with or about your synopsis. Captain America was the good guy. The Avengers don't owe anything to anyone and therefore not accountable to some higher power. They were heroes of their own volition and not government employees. Tony Stark, and from time to time, Reed Richards have received government money and were beholden to powers that be. Steve Rogers hadn't been a government employee since his Army days. That to me, was the entire point of the story. Free will versus government control.

And you missed the point completely. No one cares they worked for the government, the man, or themselves. The point is trying to state an issue that is key without having any monetary value nor a plausible point the makes it say "oh my god where would we be without that comic" nor staying power. The creators reset the status quo after two events.

Not a big fan of the series but to me Ultimate Fallout is more a key. Not only do we kill Peter Parker we change Spider-Man to an ethnically more diverse child.

Again, this would be easier and more decisive to go based on current value whether you add variants or not than to go off feelings as the "Digital Age" is still an ongoing thing.

If we go off feelings My Little Pony: Friendship and Magic or whatever gets my vote. Cause I feel like its a key...

Well, I guess I did miss the point. The point I was trying to make with Civil War is that it did and does have staying power and #1 still sells more times on ebay each month than The Walking Dead #19. Michonne's first appearance is obviously important to people but the price is higher imo because there are considerably less of them than the Civil War or most Marvel or DC books. That doesn't make demand higher as you can check this for yourself on sites like ebay.

So if money is the only thing required to be a key, then Superman RRP #204, which I've sold for over $200 several times but sold on ebay for $46 in December, would have been a bigger key than most moderns 5 or 6 years ago and now its not. I don't think money is THE factor of being a key book. If it were, Spawn #1 wouldn't matter and that's just not the case.

Money is part of a larger equation of determining key imo.

Yeah I guess I can see some of your point but the fact that I bought the entire first printing in 9.8 with 2 of them signed by Steve McNiven for all under $200 and I could barely afford a Raw of TWD 19 at the same price should hold weight. One of the most sold and traded comics I've seen Spider-Man #1 by McFarlane isn't a key, but it sure as heck has a ton of numbers on eBay. Same with the X-Men #1 (1991) but nothing key about it. Big thing is that enough time (barely) has gone by that we may be able to pick out keys for that Chromium age.

For the current Age as the topic and dates were chosen a ton of speculation rules right now. A few of the chosen "keys" were based on speculation but enough time goes by and they'll die off. Making it based on monetary value gives you at least a measuring point and not something that is hot because of simple speculation or simple "feelings."

Hate to say it but the AvX storyline is more key than Civil War. It was a turning point in the current Marvel Structure. Heck same can be said with Flash Point. Maybe the Ultimate Cataclysm becomes a key point where they combine the two Universes. But those are ideas taking feelings and speculation out of it. None of those hold any real monetary value either but cases can be made that real changes were seen based off of them which can say that maybe they are keys.

lol

I agree with McFarlane's Spidey and X-men with Lee art although I have both in my collection. The main reason I look at Civil War as a key is not a good thing for Marvel. When I was a kid, I read Iron Man every month and collected his books without fail. He, Thor, Cap, X-men, and the Avengers were literally 25+ years deep without missing an issue in my collection. I haven't read a single issue of IM since Civil War. They could be great for all I know but that series was so strong and endorsed by Marvel that I couldn't stand one of my favorite characters.

I view this series much like I do the Death of Captain Marvel the Death of Superman, and Miracleman 14 and 15. It changed how I looked at "heroes". You are right that it is more personal for me so I get your point.

I guess my biggest gripe with Civil War was here the heroes were in the middle of a city going at it much like Super Villains and what not do. Then all of a sudden Captain America and his team get an epiphany and they stop. Just like that. There isn't some Godly home that comes crashing down, nor alien queen killed, or anything of the sort. It was them destroying a city much like the villains do and even the civilians around them knew there wasn't a point. Civil War was simply a storyline that I think pissed a lot of people off for various reasons and while was a good start-up ended with little to no accountability aside from Captain America being killed in the post story-line. I think if it would have had a more profound effect on Iron Man I may have enjoyed it but it simply pandered to his ego at the time that he won and tossed whatever friendship he had with Cap into the wind. So how everyone is all buddy buddy now confuses me. I guess I don't forgive and forget much...

If money were the deciding factor then keys would all be silly limited print variants. Keys should be based on events that impact the world that the comic exists in, or impacts comics themselves. At least IMO.

Also, when does the digital age start. I would think it would start when books were available to read online on a regular basis, ie be bought in digital format.