• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature on back?

44 posts in this topic

It's not a bad idea.

I've got a Spider-Man #1 Platinum signed on the back by McFarlane and Stan Lee. I don't have a pic with me, but I thought it looked better having them sign on the back since it made the sigs easier to see than on the busy front cover. I also have a Serenity/Star Wars FCBD flip book signed by Fillion. I thought the Serenity was the "front" since it had the indicia in it. CGC disagreed slabbed it with that cover on the back and upside down.

It's not a bad idea.

I've got a Spider-Man #1 Platinum signed on the back by McFarlane and Stan Lee. I don't have a pic with me, but I thought it looked better having them sign on the back since it made the sigs easier to see than on the busy front cover. I also have a Serenity/Star Wars FCBD flip book signed by Fillion. I thought the Serenity was the "front" since it had the indicia in it. CGC disagreed slabbed it with that cover on the back and upside down.

That is how my Joe Pantaligano Matrix FCBD book is slabbed as well. Stray Bullets on the front and Matrix on the back.

I also have had back cover artists sign the back cover. There are tons of copies of CP1 signed by O'Barr on the back, that is probably the most prominent and widespread back cover signed book.

It all depends on the book. For example, on the sketch cover of Spawn #150, Todd McFarlane did the front cover and Jim Lee did the back cover. In my mind, if Jim Lee signed the book, it would be silly for him to sign the front cover when his art is on the back cover. Having him sign the back cover would be the way to go.

It's not a bad idea.

That is how my Joe Pantaligano Matrix FCBD book is slabbed as well. Stray Bullets on the front and Matrix on the back.

I also have had back cover artists sign the back cover. There are tons of copies of CP1 signed by O'Barr on the back, that is probably the most prominent and widespread back cover signed book.

I forgot about the Caliber book! :facepalm:

I've got a sweet signature on the back cover of that one :cloud9:

i would never do it under any circumstances. Worse than writer/artist signing a book with celebrity sigs on it.

It's all about personal choice. I don't really like doing it, except in those situations where there is art on the back cover. It really bothers me on the Matrix book, but what are you going to do?

I was at the CGC table in Chicago 4 or 5 years ago when a dude was FLIPPING OUT about the way they were going to slab his WD/Chew flip book. He wanted Chew on the front, and CGC wasn't having any of it.

Awkward.

i would never do it under any circumstances. Worse than writer/artist signing a book with celebrity sigs on it.

It's all about personal choice. I don't really like doing it, except in those situations where there is art on the back cover. It really bothers me on the Matrix book, but what are you going to do?

I was at the CGC table in Chicago 4 or 5 years ago when a dude was FLIPPING OUT about the way they were going to slab his WD/Chew flip book. He wanted Chew on the front, and CGC wasn't having any of it.

Awkward.

:eek:

Awkward.

:eek:

You got over it fairly quickly, though.

Awkward.

I must admit I did the same thing when they refused to slab the Harbinger side of the X-O/ Harbinger blank on the front.

Ok maybe I didnt freak out but cmon.

It's not a bad idea.

Thats pretty funny because the argument they gave me was that the indicia was on the X-O side and thats ALWAYS going to be slabbed on the front side.

I like that idea and have thought about doing it. Currently, I have a Justice League #1 blank which I had Adam Hughes do a sketch of Powergirl on it. I was thinking of having Jim Lee, Scott Williams, Alex Sinclair, and Geoff Jones sign the back of the book so it doesn't take away from the sketch Adam did. If they were to sign the front of it (where the sketch is), it would ruin the work Adam did as I am sure they'd autograph around or on the sketch.

It's not a bad idea.

Thats pretty funny because the argument they gave me was that the indicia was on the X-O side and thats ALWAYS going to be slabbed on the front side.

Yeah, that was my understanding as well. I guess Star Wars is bigger than Serenity, so that rule changed.

Huge pet peeve of mine...

Then I have quite a few books neither of you would ever like to see. lol

I have quite a few blank covers where the back is signed by various people and the only sig on the front is the artist I got the sketch from. The Chew flip book previously mentioned is signed by 2 on the front and 2 on the back. I get quite a few WD signed by Kirkman and Celebs. At this point I consider Robert a Celeb as well.