• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you bought trimmed comics?

96 posts in this topic

I've never intentionally bought a trimmed book; if any of the raw books in my collection have been trimmed, it's unbeknownst to me.

I do intend to buy a few trimmed books (eventually) specifically so I can learn to detect trimming, not because I actually want them in my collection.

Have bought and sold trimmed comics on this site. ALWAYS important to disclose it, but it is just another consideration factor.

CGC notes it, but does not specifically categorize it as restoration (i.e. trimming alone does not obtain a purple label).

That's incorrect.

No it's not. Thanks for playing though.

Trimming doesn't always get a purple label.

Have bought and sold trimmed comics on this site. ALWAYS important to disclose it, but it is just another consideration factor.

CGC notes it, but does not specifically categorize it as restoration (i.e. trimming alone does not obtain a purple label).

That's incorrect.

see above, unless it's a GA book (and even that's at their discretion), trimmed books get a purple label.

There have been books with blue labels posted on this forum that have been noted as "trimmed" from Gold, Silver and Bronze.

And I know that CGC's website says otherwise. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, they make mistakes and/or change their rules as well.

That's incorrect.

see above, unless it's a GA book (and even that's at their discretion), trimmed books get a purple label.

There have been books with blue labels posted on this forum that have been noted as "trimmed" from Gold, Silver and Bronze.

And I know that CGC's website says otherwise. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, they make mistakes and/or change their rules as well.

You are correct - more than once on this very site, I have seen pics of blue-label books with the "Trimmed" notation on the slabs.

-slym

Bought an Amazing Fantasy #15 from a Cincinnati comic shop (Queen City Comics) in the early 90's. Paid $800 for it. :)

It came back as a 4.5 restored (trimmed on right edge). :( No wonder it looked so good to me.

Since I don't keep restored (or trimmed) books EVER. I sold it on Ebay for $2,525. It still had the label stating it was trimmed. When I contacted the buyer to make sure he understood that it was in fact, trimmed. He said that he knew that when he bid. So all was good.

He also stated that "it is an Amazing Fantasy 15. Don't much care that it is trimmed".

So, this illustrates both sides of the coin.

Bought an Amazing Fantasy #15 from a Cincinnati comic shop (Queen City Comics) in the early 90's. Paid $800 for it. :)

It came back as a 4.5 restored (trimmed on right edge). :( No wonder it looked so good to me.

Since I don't keep restored (or trimmed) books EVER. I sold it on Ebay for $2,525. It still had the label stating it was trimmed. When I contacted the buyer to make sure he understood that it was in fact, trimmed. He said that he knew that when he bid. So all was good.

He also stated that "it is an Amazing Fantasy 15. Don't much care that it is trimmed".

So, this illustrates both sides of the coin.

Great example!

I only have one trimmed book that I am aware of, and I knew that when I bought it.

This book is for me and will never be sold, the trimming doesnt matter to me, I would rather have this book, nice to look at in purple, than hanging to bits in blue, so this is the best I could afford at the time ;)

AF15.jpeg

I only have one trimmed book that I am aware of, and I knew that when I bought it.

This book is for me and will never be sold, the trimming doesnt matter to me, I would rather have this book, nice to look at in purple, than hanging to bits in blue, so this is the best I could afford at the time ;)

AF15.jpeg

What grade is it?

Looks like it may have been trimmed to remove Marvel chipping...

Either way, excellent book!

One thing that I think is necessary is that there are dealers who sell raw books that they simply list as "restored", without a detailed description of the restoration. I think that trimming is definitely one defect that needs to be disclosed, and not just listed as "restored".

AF15.jpeg

What grade is it?

Believe it or not, its the top & bottom thats trimmed, I think its a 5.0, cant remember without looking.

I love it anyway, this scan makes it look dull its much brighter in hand :grin:

AF15.jpeg

:applause:

Great looking book. I would absolutely buy a trimmed book just as long as I did it knowingly.

AF15.jpeg

What grade is it?

Believe it or not, its the top & bottom thats trimmed, I think its a 5.0, cant remember without looking.

Great book for what I hope was a deal!

AF15.jpeg

Great looking book. I would absolutely buy a trimmed book just as long as I did it knowingly.

Thanks man, I need lots of big GA keys and I will certainly be looking for nice restored or trimmed books to fill my gaps.

Like I said, nice restored purple, or hanging to bits blue, same price, for me its an easy option ;)

AF15.jpeg

Thanks man, I need lots of big GA keys and I will certainly be looking for nice restored or trimmed books to fill my gaps.

Like I said, nice restored purple, or hanging to bits blue, same price, for me its an easy option ;)

You know restored and trimmed books are just junk and should all be sold for the cost of shipping right? :whistle:

AF15.jpeg

What grade is it?

Great book for what I hope was a deal!

Yeah, I have had it a long time now, but I think it was under $2000 about 7/8 years ago

AF15.jpeg

You know restored and trimmed books are just junk and should all be sold for the cost of shipping right? :whistle:

Yeah, send me the shipping cost and I will forward it on to you :kidaround:

AF15.jpeg

Yeah, send me the shipping cost and I will forward it on to you :kidaround:

:whee:

Man, this is easy.

Just wondering if you guys like and buy trimmed comics.

I don't like 'em. I've never understood why anybody trims comics. The only reason to do it would be to deceive a buyer. I can't imagine any real comic book fan thinking that mutilating a book would be anything positive. (The sole exception might be the act of trimming a comic so it can fit into a bound volume, but even there I strongly feel the book width should be widened to accommodate the comics, not the comics shortened to accommodate the book width.)

I guess if the edge of a comic was smeared with machinery grease and pig excrement, then maybe you might want to do a trim. I can't think of any other reason.

I avoid buying comics with significant restoration, and the same goes for trimmed books. I don't even think trimming counts as "restoration" because in my view it makes the book worse by subtracting something from it. At least with a tear seal, for example, you are adding some glue and the main book is still right there underneath.

I probably own some trimmed books and don't even know it. Early in my collecting there were a lot of things I was completely unaware of. I still have only limited confidence on my ability to detect trimming. Though when you see a badly trimmed or over-trimmed book, it's difficult to miss.