• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you bought trimmed comics?

96 posts in this topic

Is CGC particularly good at discovering trimmed comics? Are they especially wise to submissions in the last couple of years?

If you read through old threads and can believe what has been posted, CGC may be too good at detecting trims. I've read several threads where boardies have stated they sent a book in for grading that they purchased off the newstand that were never trimmed that came back trimmed. I also remember one person saying the submitted the same book for grading 4 different times and time #3 it came back trimmed.

I think they are catching trimming nearly all the time. Sometimes covers were cut all funky - especially on older books. So I'm not sure how they manage to figure it out.

For Truce:

Zap1_trimmed.jpg

:foryou:

-slym

WTF is up with that book? I have owned trimmed only books before. They were purple label. If it's only trimmed with nothing else done the resto isn't "classified". That is they don't call it minor, moderate, extensive nor amatuer or professional.

I ran the serial number on this book and it's verified on CGC's website and only graded a couple of years ago. The trimming is noted in the "pedigree" field. Never seen that before

I would hazard a guess that this has something to do with the book being an UG, and maybe it was hand trimmed in the first place?

I know about CGC's "minor resto books may get a Blue" policy because it's on the back of their label. The old labels specifically said "pre-1950" but the current label makes no age distiction. This policy was made in part because of the shenanigans that occured to the Edgar Church collection, and was an incentive for people early on to get some of these high profile books slabbed without getting a PLOD. I remember a Showcase # 4 in a blue label like this, and many people were like "wtf" because it's not pre-1950. But this book above is a real head scratcher. Comicwiz might know?

If anyone can show me a Hulk # 181 like the book above, then we'd have something! lol

Have bought and sold trimmed comics on this site. ALWAYS important to disclose it, but it is just another consideration factor.

CGC notes it, but does not specifically categorize it as restoration (i.e. trimming alone does not obtain a purple label).

That's incorrect.

No it's not. Thanks for playing though.

Trimming doesn't always get a purple label.

"trimming alone does not obtain a purple label"

"Trimming doesn't always get a purple label."

Can you see the difference in the 2 statements here? You completely changed your sentences, as you changed from an absolute to questionable. "Trimming alone does not obtain a purple label" means that a trimmed book won't get a purple label unless there is something else wrong with it. Which is incorrect, as I originally stated. Maybe that's not what you meant, but I can only work with what I have in front of me.

What are trying to prove?

Are you glad you joined the boards just to pick at the grammar or words I typed on my iPhone. My point is still the same and you were wrong. Trying to claim otherwise on a technicality isn't intelligent, it is immature.

I'm going to assume that English isn't your first language? You admit what you said at first was wrong, but I'm still wrong when I point it out? lol I'm not even arguing semantics here, I'm using your own words. Suffice to say what you wrote was wrong - just accept it, and move on.

Do you feel better? Does being a jerk satisfy your need to inflate your ego?

Yeah, your first reponse to me - "thanks for playing!" - wasn't jerky at all lol

Do bigotry and elitism lead to your winning?

That makes no sense. How is stating something correctly elitism? If you say 2 + 2 is 5 and I correct you, I'm being an elitist? :screwy:

Making friends from day one, congrats. (thumbs u

Like you've been all rainbows and lollipops since you got here.

FYI - I am not wrong

Yes you are. And I know Miraclemet read your statement the same way I did, or he wouldn't have made his "I got a PLOD that only had trimming" post a couple of posts after mine.

and picking apart my English (second language or not) doesn't make you right.

If English really isn't your first language, shouldn't you be more humble and know your limitations?

Mean what you say, say what you mean. Thanks for playing!!

You are not making more points, you are proving mine.

Have bought and sold trimmed comics on this site. ALWAYS important to disclose it, but it is just another consideration factor.

CGC notes it, but does not specifically categorize it as restoration (i.e. trimming alone does not obtain a purple label).

That's incorrect.

Can you see the difference in the 2 statements here? You completely changed your sentences, as you changed from an absolute to questionable. "Trimming alone does not obtain a purple label" means that a trimmed book won't get a purple label unless there is something else wrong with it. Which is incorrect, as I originally stated. Maybe that's not what you meant, but I can only work with what I have in front of me.

Are you glad you joined the boards just to pick at the grammar or words I typed on my iPhone. My point is still the same and you were wrong. Trying to claim otherwise on a technicality isn't intelligent, it is immature.

I'm going to assume that English isn't your first language? You admit what you said at first was wrong, but I'm still wrong when I point it out? lol I'm not even arguing semantics here, I'm using your own words. Suffice to say what you wrote was wrong - just accept it, and move on.

Yeah, your first reponse to me - "thanks for playing!" - wasn't jerky at all lol

That makes no sense. How is stating something correctly elitism? If you say 2 + 2 is 5 and I correct you, I'm being an elitist? :screwy:

FYI - I am not wrong

Yes you are. And I know Miraclemet read your statement the same way I did, or he wouldn't have made his "I got a PLOD that only had trimming" post a couple of posts after mine.

If English really isn't your first language, shouldn't you be more humble and know your limitations?

Wrong again. Thanks for playing!

And don't think the irony of your sig lines is lost on me :thumbsup:

That's incorrect.

FYI - I am not wrong

Wrong again. Thanks for playing!

And don't think the irony of your sig lines is lost on me :thumbsup:

More personal attacks? You continue to reveal your poor character.

:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!:slapfight:doh!

Sometimes it is really boring watching people argue online.

boring.jpg

Yup, rfoiii certainly needs a enema from Dr. Burt Hutt :thumbsup:

Interesting that you've been here 5 days and know so much. WTTB!

Yeah, rfoiii has been here a while and if Truce was a real noob, he wouldn't know anything about that.

WBTTBs, Truce!

-slym