• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you bought trimmed comics?

96 posts in this topic

Can't we all just get along?

lol sez you. I'll leave it at that since you have me on ignore...

You haven't been on ignore ever since I found out you're legit. You can drop me a line if you want to talk.

:foryou:

Can't we all just get along?

lol sez you. I'll leave it at that since you have me on ignore...

You haven't been on ignore ever since I found out you're legit. You can drop me a line if you want to talk.

Aww. Shucks. I can stop spamming your legit email now lol

PM sent.

I would definitely buy trimmed books under the right circumstances, i.e. price was right and unlikely to be able to afford same grade untrimmed.

And, if finances allowed later, I would upgrade.

I think that I'm much harsher on greens than purples for whatever reason.

For Truce:

Zap1_trimmed.jpg

-slym

WTF is up with that book? I have owned trimmed only books before. They were purple label. If it's only trimmed with nothing else done the resto isn't "classified". That is they don't call it minor, moderate, extensive nor amatuer or professional.

I ran the serial number on this book and it's verified on CGC's website and only graded a couple of years ago. The trimming is noted in the "pedigree" field. Never seen that before

I would hazard a guess that this has something to do with the book being an UG, and maybe it was hand trimmed in the first place?

I know about CGC's "minor resto books may get a Blue" policy because it's on the back of their label. The old labels specifically said "pre-1950" but the current label makes no age distiction. This policy was made in part because of the shenanigans that occured to the Edgar Church collection, and was an incentive for people early on to get some of these high profile books slabbed without getting a PLOD. I remember a Showcase # 4 in a blue label like this, and many people were like "wtf" because it's not pre-1950. But this book above is a real head scratcher. Comicwiz might know?

If anyone can show me a Hulk # 181 like the book above, then we'd have something! lol

I can't speak on what CGC saw when they graded that second print Zap 1, but I could try to explain what might have led them to note the trimmed edges.

The scans below show three different examples of the bleed area that is commonly found on Zap 0, Zap 1 (Plymell) and Zap 1 (Donahue).

The first scan (Donahue printing) shows the way the books were manufactured with untrimmed (CGC calls them "mis-cut") interior pages. This is basically how the book looked soon after the pages were lined up with the covers and stapled:

Zap_Comix_1_2nd_print_CGC_92.jpg

To my knowledge (and based on conversations with Don Donahue), copies that exhibit these protruding interior pages were mostly "filed" away (i.e. file copies).

When we see the example with the "3 edges trimmed" we neither see the bleed area or the protruding interior pages. The bleed area is always present in Zap 1 Plymell's, but less common on the Donahue, and quite scarce on the Zap 0's.

Plymell printing:

Zap_Comix_1_CGC_90_sized.jpg

Zap 0

65311.jpg

And while it is more common to see the Donahue printing with the bleed area of the cover trimmed, the example CGC noted with the trimmed edges is cut much further inward on the right outer edge. The following is a bad scan, but you can see the more common manufactured trim leaves a little white from the outer edge bleed area:

Zap_1_94.jpg

The "3 trimmed edges" could have been a post-production trim on a file copy that was found sitting around and probably had damaged "mis-cut" pages, and the person who trimmed it went a little overboard. I know if I saw as drastic a cut on that right outer edge from photos I would think something was not right.

Without seeing the way that edge was scored when it was trimmed, it's hard to know for sure, but I'm guessing that CGC saw something with this book that led them to determine it was trimmed at a much later time from its original manufactured date.

For Truce:

Zap1_trimmed.jpg

-slym

WTF is up with that book? I have owned trimmed only books before. They were purple label. If it's only trimmed with nothing else done the resto isn't "classified". That is they don't call it minor, moderate, extensive nor amatuer or professional.

I ran the serial number on this book and it's verified on CGC's website and only graded a couple of years ago. The trimming is noted in the "pedigree" field. Never seen that before

I would hazard a guess that this has something to do with the book being an UG, and maybe it was hand trimmed in the first place?

I know about CGC's "minor resto books may get a Blue" policy because it's on the back of their label. The old labels specifically said "pre-1950" but the current label makes no age distiction. This policy was made in part because of the shenanigans that occured to the Edgar Church collection, and was an incentive for people early on to get some of these high profile books slabbed without getting a PLOD. I remember a Showcase # 4 in a blue label like this, and many people were like "wtf" because it's not pre-1950. But this book above is a real head scratcher. Comicwiz might know?

If anyone can show me a Hulk # 181 like the book above, then we'd have something! lol

I can't speak on what CGC saw when they graded that second print Zap 1, but I could try to explain what might have led them to note the trimmed edges.

The scans below show three different examples of the bleed area that is commonly found on Zap 0, Zap 1 (Plymell) and Zap 1 (Donahue).

The first scan (Donahue printing) shows the way the books were manufactured with untrimmed (CGC calls them "mis-cut") interior pages. This is basically how the book looked soon after the pages were lined up with the covers and stapled:

To my knowledge (and based on conversations with Don Donahue), copies that exhibit these protruding interior pages were mostly "filed" away (i.e. file copies).

When we see the example with the "3 edges trimmed" we neither see the bleed area or the protruding interior pages. The bleed area is always present in Zap 1 Plymell's, but less common on the Donahue, and quite scarce on the Zap 0's.

Plymell printing:

Zap 0

65311.jpg

And while it is more common to see the Donahue printing with the bleed area of the cover trimmed, the example CGC noted with the trimmed edges is cut much further inward on the right outer edge. The following is a bad scan, but you can see the more common manufactured trim leaves a little white from the outer edge bleed area:

Zap_1_94.jpg

The "3 trimmed edges" could have been a post-production trim on a file copy that was found sitting around and probably had damaged "mis-cut" pages, and the person who trimmed it went a little overboard. I know if I saw as drastic a cut on that right outer edge from photos I would think something was not right.

Without seeing the way that edge was scored when it was trimmed, it's hard to know for sure, but I'm guessing that CGC saw something with this book that led them to determine it was trimmed at a much later time from its original manufactured date.

Fascinating, knowledgeable and thorough explanation! Thank you!!

You obviously have earned your name, comicwiz! (worship)

For Truce:

Zap1_trimmed.jpg

-slym

Plymell printing:

Zap 0

65311.jpg

Zap_1_94.jpg

Fascinating, knowledgeable and thorough explanation! Thank you!!

You obviously have earned your name, comicwiz! (worship)

Thanks Tony! :)

I originally took the screenshot of the book being discussed from an eBay auction. It's been awhile but I vaguely remember sharing the screenshot as I was just as confused with CGC's policy on post-manufactured trimmed books in blue label holders as some of you guys are.

Bought an Amazing Fantasy #15 from a Cincinnati comic shop (Queen City Comics) in the early 90's. Paid $800 for it. :)

It came back as a 4.5 restored (trimmed on right edge). :( No wonder it looked so good to me.

Since I don't keep restored (or trimmed) books EVER. I sold it on Ebay for $2,525. It still had the label stating it was trimmed. When I contacted the buyer to make sure he understood that it was in fact, trimmed. He said that he knew that when he bid. So all was good.

He also stated that "it is an Amazing Fantasy 15. Don't much care that it is trimmed".

So, this illustrates both sides of the coin.

This is true, since I hate trimmed comics and if I owned one I would feel like I cheated and bought and it isn't authentic. There's also rare books that people don't mind having trimmed, and if the seller tells the buyer the comic has been trimmed and the buyer still doesn't mind much then I guess it should be fine.

Personally I thin is a bunch of B$ when I see comics on ebay and the seller says the comic has been trimmed, but at least he is being honest and I guess the number of bids on those comics tell me that people don't really hate trimming as much as I do, maybe I'll be open minded towards trimmed books.

The reason I ask is because I know of a ST 110 that has been slightly trimmed and looks like a 7.0 range but idk if $1000 is over paying for it or not..?

Could you better explain what the BS is about? What would be BS about a book for sale on Ebay, clearly identified as being trimmed?

I don't understand this either since the seller of the book is clearly identifying the issue with the book.

I rarely buy and sell trimmed books but sometimes you gotta make an exception whether you like it or not.

I also have a hard time coming up with a value.

ASM6_zps3071af94.jpg

The higher the grade the lower the percentage usually. The few times I've had them I've gotten between OSPG Good to Very Good..... depending on the demand of the book. Some books receive a trimmed notation when only an inch or so of one edge has trimming. A book like that may fetch quite a bit more from a percentage standpoint. A lot depends on whether the customer is investing or just collecting. Your ASM 6 would go quickly at 500 bucks..... at a thousand it may experience strong headwinds. Very rare, high demand items will be affected less by trimming. Personally, I avoid them due to resale problems.... unless it's a book I'd never want to sell, at which point I could learn to live with it if it's cover edge only.. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yeah... Unfortunately

Unfortunately I bought a number of trimmed and color touched books from one particular dealer at the Rockville Centre Show at the Holiday Inn in Nassau County back in the 1990's. I was a kid at the time and did not know any better. That dealer lived in Elmont if I remember correctly and would have sales sometimes from his driveway.

I would love to give him an earful. The owner of my LCS jokes about it as he says all sorts of shenanigans went on like that in the early 90's as silver and golden age books were doctored all the time.

Greeeeeeeat. I have had a few books come back as trimmed or color touched from CGC from that run. The most disappointing books were my ASM 8 and 22.

A side story to this...

Every book I bought from one dealer came back on grade (for what was considered the grade at the time) and has come back restoration free. That guy made good on what he sold and what he sold was true to what was advertised. That guy? Vincent Zurzolo, before he formed Metropolis Comics.