• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Amazing Spider-man 300 going for so much?

149 posts in this topic

I might be alone but I like Larsen & Bagley artwork

Me too....you are not alone!

Same. I am still trying to get my hands on 9.8's of ASM 346&347

+1

Larsen was a bit shaggy, but both guys drew a nice clean panel, and the art never took me out of the story.

My only real problem with Larsen is that he hated Venom (so he draws Spidey...?) and made him look as unrealistically clownish as he felt he could get away with. This isn't supposition, he said so himself.

Venom was not ever meant to be a slobbering, "gigantic mouth full of different sized teeth pointing in all directions", green glop drooling monstrosity. If the being that confronted MJ in #299 had looked like the one on the cover of #347, she would have ended up laughing hysterically, not traumatized to the point of forgetting who she was.

It was ridiculous, and Bagley merely carried on the silliness, though toned down a bit.

The perfect expression of Venom will always be the cover of #316.

Exactly how he was always supposed to look.

ASM316.jpg

+1

Larsen was a bit shaggy, but both guys drew a nice clean panel, and the art never took me out of the story.

My only real problem with Larsen is that he hated Venom (so he draws Spidey...?) and made him look as unrealistically clownish as he felt he could get away with. This isn't supposition, he said so himself.

Venom was not ever meant to be a slobbering, "gigantic mouth full of different sized teeth pointing in all directions", green glop drooling monstrosity. If the being that confronted MJ in #299 had looked like the one on the cover of #347, she would have ended up laughing hysterically, not traumatized to the point of forgetting who she was.

It was ridiculous, and Bagley merely carried on the silliness, though toned down a bit.

I dunno, I kinda like the out of proportion mouth and eyes done by Larsen. I am not by any means a huge Venom fan, but somehow those books drew me to him. I suppose issues 346 and 347 being the first two comics I ever owned probably has something to do with it.

Neither was very good on ASM. I did, however, really like Bagley's stuff in Ultimate Spider Man (especially when he was inked by Art Thibert). I thought his art went great with the story.

+1

I completely agree.

It's been years since I read the interview with Larsen where he described his dislike for Venom, and his subsequent decision to draw him as a grotesque caricature. An old issue of CBA, maybe...?

+1

I completely agree.

It's been years since I read the interview with Larsen where he described his dislike for Venom, and his subsequent decision to draw him as a grotesque caricature. An old issue of CBA, maybe...?

Yeah, that sounds about right....