• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade Paperback Swap

89 posts in this topic

You've done a great job putting this all together. I think a lot of people will want to participate.

Thanks, I've updated the initial post to reflect a system where you earn 1 credit 5 books offered, up to 2 credits, for your initial listing. I think allowing 1:5 or 2:10 is a good idea as some people may not have 10 books to offer up initially.

This of course is subject to change.

For anyone interested in following the development of the site, I've uploaded the home page design to my web server. Not much done yet, just started it yesterday, but feel free to follow it as it's being built.

TPBSwap.com

Great idea, big fan!

Too bad on the "one year criteria" I have a good sized TPB selection.

I guess I will check back in a few months.

Give it a chance, you might be close enough with other good stats, like kudos/feedback, general likeability, etc.

:)

hm If that is a selection criteria then how do you plan on getting in? :grin:

Who says I plan on succeeding in that venture?

:D

-slym

I have no idea how difficult this may or may not be, of if it is even warranted, but what about needing more than one credit to be able to claim a more expensive/larger book? For example, what if someone wanted to add to their bookshelf an Omnibus or Absolute edition, which usually cost $50+, or even ignoring cost, at the very least are very large. Would it be fair/feasible to require more credits to claim these type of books?

I have no idea how difficult this may or may not be, of if it is even warranted, but what about needing more than one credit to be able to claim a more expensive/larger book? For example, what if someone wanted to add to their bookshelf an Omnibus or Absolute edition, which usually cost $50+, or even ignoring cost, at the very least are very large. Would it be fair/feasible to require more credits to claim these type of books?

Or have the person that adds the book gets to set the cost of credits for the book? Just a thought (shrug)

I had considered how hard covers and in particular omnibus books should be treated.

To expedite the sites development I don't think I will initially create any sub system for something like that, but down the road after the basic site has been setup and is running having some sort of variable for those larger more expensive books is a good idea.

Thanks for the ideas and input.

Site looks great, BTW!

Thanks, updated a few of the basic pages earlier.

Mostly I've been working on the database design and backend and researching the Amazon Web Service. I'd like to implement that to pull book images, titles and descriptions when someone posts a TPB or graphic novel, so they don't have to scan pictures and keep all the titles correct. It's a bit complicated, haven't figured it all out yet.

Will be cool if I can get that working.

Just a quick update on this.

Sadly I haven't gotten the website done enough to a point to start beta testing. I had hoped to have it ready by the end of January but I'm not there yet for a couple reasons.

For one I had some work come up and being a self-employed web designer, I gotta do it when I can get it. Also secondly I only got 4 or 5 PM's from people showing any interest in participating in testing the site, so with that little amount of interest my motivation to spend my free time doing it has been a bit low.

But I still want to see it through so I'm going to try and keep chipping away at it over the next couple weeks.

No one expects you to have work super hard on this free project. Do it when you feel like it and when it is ready it is ready. Everyone that plans on participating appreciates your hard work on this (thumbs u I think you will have plenty of people for beta testing. Do you want to post a list for people to sign up or anything? I have been saving up a nice stack of TPBs that I think people will enjoy reading.

No one expects you to have work super hard on this free project. Do it when you feel like it and when it is ready it is ready. Everyone that plans on participating appreciates your hard work on this (thumbs u I think you will have plenty of people for beta testing. Do you want to post a list for people to sign up or anything? I have been saving up a nice stack of TPBs that I think people will enjoy reading.

Exactly. I am very excited for this and glad to be a part of it, but do this when you have time and don't feel pressured.

Also, if there's any way I can help that doesn't require any web developing skills, let me know. I can always put stuff into databases or whatever.