• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could start your collection all over again...

48 posts in this topic

I would only have slabbed key issues of comics that I care about. Everything else would be in nice collected editions on my bookshelf and/or digital.

this sounds like a great way to start for me... I am looking at buying the full runs of SUPERIOR, SPECTACULAR, PETER PARKER, ULTIMATE, etc... I have started picking up CGC books that I like, also looking at getting the key issues, and of course my sketch covers... maybe I should just bypass all the current print stuff and focus on that myself... and go collected, or probably prefer to do the digital thing...

I have no interest in owning the current print stuff. To me, that's for reading, which I do digitally on an iPad using comiXology, and I love it. I won't pay full price ($3.99) for the new digital stuff though, as that feels like a rip off. ComiXology runs great sales from time to time and that's when I jump on reading material in bulk for cheap. Only downside is if you feel like you absolutely must keep current on a title.

I don't feel the need to keep absolutely current. And with how little happens in any given current comic due to, in many cases, strong decompression, reading a current single issue has lost its appeal for me, because almost nothing happens. I much prefer to read an arc at a time (similar to trade waiting), because you actually get some story progress. And in this way, if you're arc/trade waiting anyway, you might as well wait for a good comiXology sale to catch up.

15 years later I have the funds available to purchase comics I once dreamt of like X-Men 1 and other Silver Age key books.

The bolded part is your answer. Go for the books that you always wanted but could not have.

It is better to buy the mega key books over any other issue because this is the book that will be the hardest to buy should you decide to complete a run of books, a set of books, or whatever focus you have.

You will hear quality over quantity from many members here, and I am no different. If anyone has the chance to start over, go for the dream books because as time passes there can be more people that will pick them up and hold onto them longer making it difficult to locate, or the price will keep escalating making it harder for you to buy in year's time. (thumbs u

Just based on the last few years when I got back into comics (not counting the 90s), I wish I didn't buy a whole bunch of comics just because they were in the 50 cent/dollar bins. Just ended up amassing too many comics that I now don't have time to read.

I should have stuck to just reading the trades that became available at my local libraries. Saves cash, would be able to read a full story arc, and more importantly...save valuable storage box space!

I would tend to focus on what you REALLY like - not what you think you should like or what will go up in value or what might be the best "investment"

If you buy what you like you will always love your collection. If you collect for the wrong reasons you will become disillusioned really fast...

I say that from my own personal experience (thumbs u

I would never buy a third party or Signature Series graded book.

Good advice. :applause:

Why not signature series?

Probably lost his @zz trying to get rid of them.