• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pebbling - pressing's next enemy that's easily fixed by pressing!

95 posts in this topic

Nothing will ever top COCKLING

+1. Nothing!

So let me get this straight, I pay someone to press my books, they screw it up and I pay someone else to fix it? Or is there a check box set-up like this

press books

un-shrink cover

un-pebble cover

you pay for three services :insane:

So let me get this straight, I pay someone to press my books, they screw it up and I pay someone else to fix it? Or is there a check box set-up like this

press books

un-shrink cover

un-pebble cover

you pay for three services :insane:

Order up! :insane:

orderup.jpg

At a certain point, all these poor comic books are just going to fall apart.
I'm sure a light pressing can fix that too. meh

"Wet paper takes the shape of what it’s against when drying. Pebbling occurs when the paper used to dry the comic has a rough or uneven surface. Sometimes pebbling is evident in only a small area of a cover when localized pressing is used, or it can be found on the entire cover when fully pressed. Pebbling is one of the most easily fixable side effects when properly pressed."

What's so weird it all (for some of us) is the left hand deals in the attributes of paper, while the right hand ignores them.

If it's "easily fixable" with pressing it wasn't actual permanent damage, just a temporary reversible eye-sore (thanks to paper being what it is).

But the grading/assessor never seems to get the memo, and the wheel goes round and round.

"Wet paper takes the shape of what it’s against when drying. Pebbling occurs when the paper used to dry the comic has a rough or uneven surface. Sometimes pebbling is evident in only a small area of a cover when localized pressing is used, or it can be found on the entire cover when fully pressed. Pebbling is one of the most easily fixable side effects when properly pressed."

What's so weird it all (for some of us) is the left hand deals in the attributes of paper, while the right hand ignores them.

If it's "easily fixable" with pressing it wasn't actual permanent damage, just a temporary reversible eye-sore (thanks to paper being what it is).

But the grading/assessor never seems to get the memo, and the wheel goes round and round.

What do you mean? I've seen books that had this "pebbling" effect and their grades got hammered by CGC.

Also - I think there's a typo in the article:

Pebbling is one of the most easily fixable side effects when improperly pressed.

What do you mean? I've seen books that had this "pebbling" effect and their grades got hammered by CGC.

Pebbling is one of the most easily fixable side effects when improperly pressed.

Just that. Why "hammer" the grade? Shouldn't the paper's actual state of preservation carry more weight than some temporary "easily fixed" paper-state? Unless you're just grading to visuals, pretending every visible paper-state is actual and permanent damage.

Just seems like one end of the hall could hold a conference with folks at the other end of the hall, get everybody on the same page about what is and isn't actual damage, what is or isn't "easily fixable". (shrug)

Just that. Why "hammer" the grade? Shouldn't the paper's actual state of preservation carry more weight than some temporary "easily fixed" paper-state? Unless you're just grading to visuals, pretending every visible paper-state is actual and permanent damage.

Just seems like one end of the hall could hold a conference with folks at the other end of the hall, get everybody on the same page about what is and isn't actual damage, what is or isn't "easily fixable". (shrug)

It's damage caused by an improper press - why on earth would it not affect the grade in a negative manner? That it can, in most cases, be reversed shouldn't matter.

It's damage caused by an improper press - why on earth would it not affect the grade in a negative manner? That it can, in most cases, be reversed shouldn't matter.

??? Of course it should matter.

Or it should matter if 'grade' was a reflection of a book's actual state of preservation based on the attributes of the paper, inks and metal staples it's constructed of.

But in this hobby that's not the case, and the grade-press-regrade-repress wheel goes round and round.

Not that difficult a concept to get your head around, unless you're being willfully ignorant.

If pebbling is evident, it's a visual distraction, the result of a poorly executed press. Grade will be commensurate with the appearance (grade the book as it sits in front of you)

However, a book that has been pressed poorly, such that it exhibits pebbling, can be pressed in a proper manner, such that the pebbling effect can be removed from the paper surface. Which should then result in a higher grade (grading the book as it sits in front of you.)

I'm more interested in seeing if a slightly shrunken-cover book can be amended with a further pressing, to have an appearance equivalent to the pre-shrunken state. I've read opinions pro and con on the possibility of this, but haven't seen any high-profile examples of before, after, and after-after.

??? Of course it should matter.

Or it should matter if 'grade' was a reflection of a book's actual state of preservation based on the attributes of the paper, inks and metal staples it's constructed of.

But in this hobby that's not the case, and the grade-press-regrade-repress wheel goes round and round.

That's a mighty big if. But I don't think grading has ever been, "What is the state of this book's preservation?" Has it? Hasn't it always been largely a combination of eye appeal (creases, writing, etc.) and preservation (PQ, staples, etc.)?

Not that difficult a concept to get your head around, unless you're being willfully ignorant.

If pebbling is evident, it's a visual distraction, the result of a poorly executed press. Grade will be commensurate with the appearance (grade the book as it sits in front of you)

However, a book that has been pressed poorly, such that it exhibits pebbling, can be pressed in a proper manner, such that the pebbling effect can be removed from the paper surface. Which should then result in a higher grade (grading the book as it sits in front of you.)

I'm more interested in seeing if a slightly shrunken-cover book can be amended with a further pressing, to have an appearance equivalent to the pre-shrunken state. I've read opinions pro and con on the possibility of this, but haven't seen any high-profile examples of before, after, and after-after.

"Willfully ignorant". Now there's an interesting concept.

All I'm saying is if a known attribute of paper can be considered and applied when assessing a book for pressing, it can likewise be considered and applied when 'grading'. To confine 'Grade' to 'sits in front of you' is a conscious choice, an application of "willful ignorance". Yes?