• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pebbling - pressing's next enemy that's easily fixed by pressing!

95 posts in this topic

The pro-pressing camp has always side-stepped the question of degree. NCB creases get hammered by CGC. CGC considers them a big deal when grading the book, but somehow it's no big deal to remove them. Complete nonsense.

If an otherwise NM book drops to a VF because of a NCB.....how can the process of removing that crease not be considered restoration?

Yup, I think if the defect/damage can easily be removed with a press then it shouldn't effect the grade all that much. That sounds reasonable.

Example: A 9.2 book with 2 small NCB creases pressed would then get 9.4....

Exactly. To suggest that CGC graders don't know what defects are/are not pressable is laughable at this point. If the 'defect/damage' is easily reversible.....ease off the hammer a bit.

CGC doesn't and never has hammered grades for non colourbreaking wear.

Small ncb wear may not even affect the grade unless the book is in higher grades and small, medium or heavy ncb wear is graded appropriately.

Sorry Roy, from my CGC submission experience I completely disagree with you. I still remember my original owner pedigree key having a couple NCB spine creases and a light fold getting a 9.2. A light press got it to 9.6. After selling it, the new owner gave it an uber press to a 9.8 . That's 9.2 - 9.8 for pressable defects. This game is rigged.

Your example supports what Roy is saying, though. Your book had a "couple NCB spine creases and a light fold", so it came back a 9.2 - those defects were pressed out and it went to a 9.6. How is that not grading the book appropriately? Would you have felt comfortable selling the book as a raw 9.6 prior to the press?

The pro-pressing camp has always side-stepped the question of degree. NCB creases get hammered by CGC. CGC considers them a big deal when grading the book, but somehow it's no big deal to remove them. Complete nonsense.

If an otherwise NM book drops to a VF because of a NCB.....how can the process of removing that crease not be considered restoration?

Yup, I think if the defect/damage can easily be removed with a press then it shouldn't effect the grade all that much. That sounds reasonable.

Exactly. To suggest that CGC graders don't know what defects are/are not pressable is laughable at this point. If the 'defect/damage' is easily reversible.....ease off the hammer a bit.

Small ncb wear may not even affect the grade unless the book is in higher grades and small, medium or heavy ncb wear is graded appropriately.

Sorry Roy, from my CGC submission experience I completely disagree with you. I still remember my original owner pedigree key having a couple NCB spine creases and a light fold getting a 9.2. A light press got it to 9.6. After selling it, the new owner gave it an uber press to a 9.8 . That's 9.2 - 9.8 for pressable defects. This game is rigged.

Your example supports what Roy is saying, though. Your book had a "couple NCB spine creases and a light fold", so it came back a 9.2 - those defects were pressed out and it went to a 9.6. How is that not grading the book appropriately? Would you have felt comfortable selling the book as a raw 9.6 prior to the press?

It's no more far-fetched than calling the end result 9.8 unrestored. :juggle:

lol, very good, very good indeed. If I have any books for sale that exhibit NCB, little, friendly, light-reflecting dimples from well-meaning fingers through the years on the cover, no need to have it pressed from VF- (let's say) up to (perhaps, it's a guess until you do) a 9.2 or 9.4 -- I can just offer it for sale to Beyonder, or Davenport (or anyone who thinks that if something is correctable with a press, it shouldn't factor into the grade) as a straight-up 9.4 as is, at an appropriately 9.4 price level!

Because, after all, one shouldn't discount for NCB, or other pressable flaws, they're harmless really, and shouldn't distract anyone who truly appreciates a book -- I think this is a good step forward for sure. Plus think of all the pressing fees sellers can now save on!

Win-win, as they say. :)

Quite the flare for the dramatic. :golfclap:

All of this mind-numbing discussion would come to a complete halt if CGC would just address the elephant in the room. Just be completely honest. Be straight-forward. Cut the shananigans.....

Just admit that pressing is a form of restoration.

So I see the umpteen thousand discussions haven't swayed you one bit over the years...good for you!!!

If we all agreed on everything what fun would it be... :insane:

I'm in a pressing thread! :whee:

lol

Yeah, it's become that, hasn't it? :sorry:

Frak pebbling and the broken down dry-mount it rode in on. Who gives a :censored:.

:insane:

:sorry:

-slym

For starting a pressing thread you have to grade a flag in the wind. Grading only for what you see, any bends, dents, ripples, curls, wiggles or waves, as you're seeing it.

You just might be getting it! Except of course that a flag in the wind will generally change with respect to dimples, ripples and the like moreso than a comic will. :) Other than that -- a somewhat apt comparison. I guess. Well, except for cloth vs. paper fibers... but let's not nitpick.

I wonder if anyone thinks the book should be graded a 9.6 with a fold and a few ncb creases?

Better question: you have two identical books and one has a bend and a few ncb indents. The other one doesn't. Do you grade them identically? I don't think anyone would.

Finally, is a 0.2 or a 0.4 change in grade considered a 'hammering'? I would consider a 1.0 or a 2.0 swing a hammering. Not when it drops a fraction. People confuse the dollar values with the grades. The dollar value might get hammered but the grade doesn't. CGC isn't responsible for dollar values.