• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL Foreign Copper Thread!

158 posts in this topic

Foreign books are interesting.

Some of them are even pretty neat.

But, as this is a US message board for a US company, and 99.99% of the members here read and are only interested in English language comic books (US, Canada, UK, etc.), it would be nice to not have to see foreign editions in many other threads, especially touted as "the rarest books that exist" every time they are mentioned (which isn't always true.)

Foreign editions in those threads are most decidedly "off-topic." Please do try to keep the other threads clean.

So...in that vein, it would be nice to focus the foreign books in a specific thread, for those who appreciate them to admire, and those who don't need not click.

Post away, gents!

But, as this is a US message board for a US company, and 99.99% of the members here read and are only interested in English language comic books (US, Canada, UK, etc.), it would be nice to not have to see foreign editions in many other threads, especially touted as "the rarest books that exist" every time they are mentioned (which isn't always true.)

Foreign editions in those threads are most decidedly "off-topic." Please do try to keep the other threads clean.

So...in that vein, it would be nice to focus the foreign books in a specific thread, for those who appreciate them to admire, and those who don't need not click.

Post away, gents!

+1 (worship)

Now let's see if the H.O.S.'er actually heeds this advice. :D

I know foreign books with different languages command a much lower price because:

no demand

cant read those languages (a very good reason)

no market confidence. an accurate assessment

and another big reason would be those books don't speak to the childhood of most collectors which carries a lot of nostalgia and confidence (its what they are use to).

if your a collector you are going to want to buy comics that you feel confident in (return on investment). Most people wouldn't buy a foreign book to read, simply because they don't know the language, so most people don't even have that reason to buy them. (very low demand)

If you buy comics with dollars or cents that is where your demand lies.

having said that, if you look for the rarest ones try looking at the Canadian newsstand price variants. marvel Oct 82- aug 86. DC went on until 87

In the comics indicia (marvel, DC) they specify U.S, Canada, then they refer to others as foreign. There is a very symbiotic relationship between US and Canada, that goes way back when comics started. This is why the market demand for 75 cent and 95 cent variants is very good, and getting better.

:takeit: Those variants have begun to go up, and they sell faster. I talked to a couple of comic stores in Canada, and it looks like they will be adjusting there prices soon(higher prices due to demand, and scarceness)

I don't know if I would want to miss that train.

hope this helps

Post away, gents!

+1 (worship)

lol Space cadet?

Post away, gents!

+1 (worship)

(tsk)

I know foreign books with different languages command a much lower price because:

no demand

and another big reason would be those books don't speak to the childhood of most collectors which carries a lot of nostalgia and confidence (its what they are use to).

if your a collector you are going to want to buy comics that you feel confident in (return on investment). Most people wouldn't buy a foreign book to read, simply because they don't know the language, so most people don't even have that reason to buy them. (very low demand)

having said that, if you look for the rarest ones try looking at the Canadian newsstand price variants. marvel Oct 82- aug 86. DC went on until 87

In the comics indicia (marvel, DC) they specify U.S, Canada, then they refer to others as foreign. There is a very symbiotic relationship between US and Canada, that goes way back when comics started. This is why the market demand for 75 cent and 95 cent variants is very good, and getting better.

:takeit: Those variants have begun to go up, and they sell faster. I talked to a couple of comic stores in Canada, and it looks like they will be adjusting there prices soon(higher prices due to demand, and scarceness)

hope this helps

This is inaccurate on so many levels I don't even know where to start. :eyeroll:

This is my only foreign comic. I paid a dollar for it a bit back. Really do not know why though

TeenTitansFrench_zpscac60ebf.jpg

Check with LSComics he might be interested in taking this book off your hands i think he has the other versions of this

I have editions from Mexico and Spain. If it needs a new home I'd be happy to accommodate. (thumbs u

Tim, maybe you would know this:

was Marv Wolfman's name banned from being printed on covers as they forbid monster names but did not know his real name was Wolfman? Any truth to that?

maybe he used another pseudo name (shrug)

Never heard anything of the sort. (shrug)

no demand

hope this helps

This is inaccurate on so many levels I don't even know where to start. :eyeroll:
Let me expand on this, after reading it I realized it doesn't come across very nice.

For the most part, those of us that collect these type of books aren't really concerned with the potential for return on investment. It's more about building a collection that's completely unique. Granted, there are books you'll see in more than one collection but there aren't any two collections of foreign books that are the same. Realistically with US books you can duplicate anyone else's collection with the right amount of money. That's soooo not the case with foreign books. There are a number of books in several collections that I know of that are the only copies that anyone has been able to find. That's not to say they're the only copies that exist or even that they're worth a lot but it goes a long way to creating a truly unique collection.

Another thing to consider is that when it comes to foreign books there's the thrill of the chase. You can search for years and not find copies of some books. Believe me... I know this all too well. There's some I've been looking for during the last 4 or 5 years that I haven't been able to find.

As for not being able to read the books? That's what trade paperbacks are for. 2c

Post away, gents!

Ill get to the jingoistic, US-centric aspects in a second…

A couple points though, to say that a foreign reprint/version/edition/variant version of a specific comic book is not relevant to the conversation of said book is an opinion. A wrong opinion in my humble opinion… but they are all opinions. The fact is you nor anybody else has the right to dictate where and how someone decides to post. That’s the mods job correct? I don’t like lots of stuff people post…. I can choose to ignore it or put the poster on my ignore list.

99% uh? You could be right but Id bet you would be surprised how many members are from other countries. Right off the top of my head I can think of at least 7 members who post regularly who are from other countries and I am sure there are many many more. Now many of them are here to discuss American books, but to tell one of those foreign members that they have a thread where their countries versions of books are welcome is to be quite honest extremely ignorant on the low end and highly discriminatory/ethnocentric on the high end…. A foreign version of a book has just as much right to be included in the discussion as the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8.

Does CGC only slab American books? No, then that means it’s a company that at least on the surface is welcoming to customers and business from all countries. Using this logic, this clearly means they are a American company which does business internationally. If the forums here are an extension of that business model then it only makes sense that the idea of pigeonholing its foreign visitors and their content into any specific thread is wrong.

I can hear you now… “but your not foreign you’re an American!” Doesn’t matter, my interest in foreign comics does not change the fact that forcing me to post a foreign version of any book into a specific thread is the same as forcing someone from said country to do the same.

Another point… you cant read books inside CGC cases either… so your language point is moot…. Not being able to read something has no bearing whatsoever on relevancy.

I have no problem creating a thread to highlight foreigns and foreign collecting specifically. In fact I am the creator of the thread in comic general. But the truth is this thread is your attempt to marginalize a member you have a problem with.

Newsflash, thats your problem….. not mine. I will post foreign versions of books in whatever thread I choose. It’s the mods choice to decide if its “off-topic” or not. And here is the funny part…. If they do decide it is “off-topic” then that says something very interesting about CGC doesn’t it.

I appreciate you guys offering up some cool pics of foreign books and insight as to what drives you to collect these books. However, please don't attack RMA for creating this thread.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, RMA, but the reason for this thread was A. to show off the cool foreign edition of copper books and B. an attempt to prevent the constant barrage of the same picture of spider-man and hulk foreign books in every thread, oftentimes when it wasn't germane to the topic at hand.

I don't think I am the only one who felt this way after a SC postMichael-scott-no-god-no.gif.

I appreciate you guys offering up some cool pics of foreign books and insight as to what drives you to collect these books. However, please don't attack RMA for creating this thread.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, RMA, but the reason for this thread was A. to show off the cool foreign edition of copper books and B. an attempt to prevent the constant barrage of the same picture of spider-man and hulk foreign books in every thread, oftentimes when it wasn't germane to the topic at hand.

I don't think I am the only one who felt this way after a SC postMichael-scott-no-god-no.gif.

Well I cant speak to the behavior of another poster.... I cant control, or modify his actions. But, when I post foreign pics of books, in my opinion I post when they are relevant, I don't spam multiple threads, and I don't try to hijack posts. If its a issue specific thread than a foreign of said book is relevant in my opinion. If you don't like looking at my posts than block me or hide me right? Problem solved.....

If RMA had started this thread with something like "show off your love of foreign books" or something in this vein no problem. :gossip: He handled it wrong by making me as a member here feel pressured that the niche of collecting that I pursue is only relevant in a solitary thread whithin the Copper section. Thats not his call to make..... quite simple really.... 2c

And I wont even bring up again the alienation of foreign members... im sure this wasn't his intent... but it could very easily come off this way..... :gossip:

Couldn't a person just block/hide the people who obviously post a lot of foreign comics? I don't think they'd lose that much in doing so if they have no interest in foreign comics anyways.

Its tough to believe that someone would be so put off by it that they'd start a thread to insult a certain group of people with different comic tastes, and to make themselves look like an all-American spoon.

I'd say there's a pretty decent amount of people who have a million times less interest in current modern comics or the 'zenescope' style comics, and their associated infinite variant covers as well, should they all be relegated to their own threads?

If I had a "This week in my collection post", and I bought 2 AF 15 and an Incredible Hulk 1 CGC 9.9 and a foreign ASM 300 CGC 10.0, are you suggesting that I just leave out the ASM 300? does that make any amount of sense?

I get back 10 comics from CGC SS, and one of them is foreign, should I just exclude it from the pictures and mention it only here?

OR have we just been trolled by someone who just doesn't give an eff about how badly others perceive him? Dang it, got me.