• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The OFFICIAL Foreign Copper Thread!

158 posts in this topic

Makes sense Revat... and I didn't even bring up the choice of words the poster used in describing a thread without foreign books as "clean". Gosh darnit if that wasn't the worst thought out usage of words to get his point across. hm

Foreign books are interesting.

Some of them are even pretty neat.

But, as this is a US message board for a US company, and 99.99% of the members here read and are only interested in English language comic books (US, Canada, UK, etc.), it would be nice to not have to see foreign editions in many other threads, especially touted as "the rarest books that exist" every time they are mentioned (which isn't always true.)

Foreign editions in those threads are most decidedly "off-topic." Please do try to keep the other threads clean.

So...in that vein, it would be nice to focus the foreign books in a specific thread, for those who appreciate them to admire, and those who don't need not click.

Post away, gents!

Ill get to the jingoistic, US-centric aspects in a second

A couple points though, to say that a foreign reprint/version/edition/variant version of a specific comic book is not relevant to the conversation of said book is an opinion. A wrong opinion in my humble opinion but they are all opinions. The fact is you nor anybody else has the right to dictate where and how someone decides to post. Thats the mods job correct? I dont like lots of stuff people post. I can choose to ignore it or put the poster on my ignore list.

99% uh? You could be right but Id bet you would be surprised how many members are from other countries. Right off the top of my head I can think of at least 7 members who post regularly who are from other countries and I am sure there are many many more. Now many of them are here to discuss American books, but to tell one of those foreign members that they have a thread where their countries versions of books are welcome is to be quite honest extremely ignorant on the low end and highly discriminatory/ethnocentric on the high end. A foreign version of a book has just as much right to be included in the discussion as the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8.

Does CGC only slab American books? No, then that means its a company that at least on the surface is welcoming to customers and business from all countries. Using this logic, this clearly means they are a American company which does business internationally. If the forums here are an extension of that business model then it only makes sense that the idea of pigeonholing its foreign visitors and their content into any specific thread is wrong.

I can hear you now but your not foreign youre an American! Doesnt matter, my interest in foreign comics does not change the fact that forcing me to post a foreign version of any book into a specific thread is the same as forcing someone from said country to do the same.

Another point you cant read books inside CGC cases either so your language point is moot. Not being able to read something has no bearing whatsoever on relevancy.

I have no problem creating a thread to highlight foreigns and foreign collecting specifically. In fact I am the creator of the thread in comic general. But the truth is this thread is your attempt to marginalize a member you have a problem with.

Newsflash, thats your problem.. not mine. I will post foreign versions of books in whatever thread I choose. Its the mods choice to decide if its off-topic or not. And here is the funny part. If they do decide it is off-topic then that says something very interesting about CGC doesnt it.

Just a quick response; I can expand if you're interested.

You have taken something personally that is not personal. You have made several incorrect assumptions. That the majority of this board is interested only in English speaking comics does not therefore mean that foreign comics are despised, scorned, and unwelcome. No one is dictating to anyone, nor telling anyone what they can, and cannot, post, because only the board moderators can do that.

It is about balance. Nothing more, and nothing less.

The majority of the board is not interested in Strawberry Shortcake comics. If someone was to spam their Strawberry Shortcake comics in every thread, posting an "OFFICIAL Strawberry Shortcake thread" would not therefore be anti-Strawberry Shortcake. A place for everything, and everything in its place.

As far as "marginalizing" anyone: Solarcadet1 is a member of this board's Hall of Shame. Being put on this list is no small feat. As an example of one of your incorrect assumptions: I do not have anything *personally* against Solarcadet1.

Like I said, I'll be happy to expand these thoughts if you're truly interested in dialogue and understanding (and this is not a putdown, either. I mean that sincerely.)

Couldn't a person just block/hide the people who obviously post a lot of foreign comics? I don't think they'd lose that much in doing so if they have no interest in foreign comics anyways.

Its tough to believe that someone would be so put off by it that they'd start a thread to insult a certain group of people with different comic tastes, and to make themselves look like an all-American spoon.

I'd say there's a pretty decent amount of people who have a million times less interest in current modern comics or the 'zenescope' style comics, and their associated infinite variant covers as well, should they all be relegated to their own threads?

If I had a "This week in my collection post", and I bought 2 AF 15 and an Incredible Hulk 1 CGC 9.9 and a foreign ASM 300 CGC 10.0, are you suggesting that I just leave out the ASM 300? does that make any amount of sense?

I get back 10 comics from CGC SS, and one of them is foreign, should I just exclude it from the pictures and mention it only here?

OR have we just been trolled by someone who just doesn't give an eff about how badly others perceive him? Dang it, got me.

Your assessment is quite inaccurate.

I appreciate you guys offering up some cool pics of foreign books and insight as to what drives you to collect these books. However, please don't attack RMA for creating this thread.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, RMA, but the reason for this thread was A. to show off the cool foreign edition of copper books and B. an attempt to prevent the constant barrage of the same picture of spider-man and hulk foreign books in every thread, oftentimes when it wasn't germane to the topic at hand.

I don't think I am the only one who felt this way after a SC postMichael-scott-no-god-no.gif.

Bingo.

Couldn't a person just block/hide the people who obviously post a lot of foreign comics? I don't think they'd lose that much in doing so if they have no interest in foreign comics anyways.

Its tough to believe that someone would be so put off by it that they'd start a thread to insult a certain group of people with different comic tastes, and to make themselves look like an all-American spoon.

I'd say there's a pretty decent amount of people who have a million times less interest in current modern comics or the 'zenescope' style comics, and their associated infinite variant covers as well, should they all be relegated to their own threads?

If I had a "This week in my collection post", and I bought 2 AF 15 and an Incredible Hulk 1 CGC 9.9 and a foreign ASM 300 CGC 10.0, are you suggesting that I just leave out the ASM 300? does that make any amount of sense?

I get back 10 comics from CGC SS, and one of them is foreign, should I just exclude it from the pictures and mention it only here?

OR have we just been trolled by someone who just doesn't give an eff about how badly others perceive him? Dang it, got me.

Your assessment is quite inaccurate.

I think a large part of the problem is that you don't realize how condescending your original post sounds, and that tone, coupled with a perceptible seemingly pro-America/English anti-foreign sentiment, comes off well....my guess is that a lot of English speaking Americans (including me) would not want to be represented by the statements you made in the OP.

and there's a lot of blanket statements about germaneness and relevance that come across very ignorant in their 'blanketness'. I agree that in general, a lot of threads go off topic for any number of reasons, and sometimes those reasons are foreign comics, sometimes they're other things.

Does anyone care more if I post my new New Excalibur 32 CGC SS 8.5 signed by Chris Claremont in the "THis week back from CGC, This week in my collection, This week in SS, One and only highest CGC SS?" compared to my AF 15 Italian reprint signed by Stan Lee with a Steve Ditko signed on the inside cover compared to a 1.0 modern comic of a naked girl signed by JSC?" Maybe, maybe not, my point is that its too subjective in terms of what people are interested in to make huge sweeping statements.

We would all be better served if some threads were a bit more 'focused', but your OP comes across as VERY judgmental, and the fact that you don't see that makes me feel sorry for you, not angry.

Hell I'd love if all the threads on here were only about things I'm interested in, like Darkhawk, Steranko signatures, 80's 49er teams, Guns and Roses, and The Wire, and why I don't like Humberto Ramos's art, how ugly Miley Cyrus is, but I think its aight if people talk about other stuff too. Even if there were specific threads for those things, I'd be sure to post my CGC Steranko signed picture of Miley Cyrus holding a Darkhawk comic while wearing a Jerry Rice jersey in multiple threads.

Hell I'd love if all the threads on here were only about things I'm interested in, like Darkhawk, Steranko signatures, 80's 49er teams, Guns and Roses, and The Wire, and why I don't like Humberto Ramos's art, how ugly Miley Cyrus is, but I think its aight if people talk about other stuff too. Even if there were specific threads for those things, I'd be sure to post my CGC Steranko signed picture of Miley Cyrus holding a Darkhawk comic while wearing a Jerry Rice jersey in multiple threads.

Revat... this post is for you, although technically I should start a Foreign Silver Thread to post it. :foryou:

NickFury1Mexico_zps08b187a2.jpg

I think a large part of the problem is that you don't realize how condescending your original post sounds...

Oh, on the contrary...I am fully aware of how condescending my post sounds...to you (and, of course, Define999.)

I think it's fairly clear that not everyone shares that opinion, especially considering the thread was a week old before there was any controversy, and included posts by collectors of foreign editions...like me (yes, I collect foreign editions, too. Surprised?)

They didn't seem to be offended.

And my opinion, contrary to yours, is that you are looking for an offense where none exists.

So, either I am being condescending...or you are ultrasensitive and easily offended.

Keeping in mind that neither of us speaks for anyone but ourselves, making blanket statements like "you don't realize how condescending your original post sounds" without qualification is as incorrect as many of the other assumptions made here already.

I'll say it again: your assessment is quite inaccurate. I would be happy to go into further details as to why, if you are interested.

you have awesome dogs RMA! :hi:

Thanks! I loved them both dearly. :cloud9:

Sadly, they're both gone, and I only have my Casper left. :(

But shouldn't you be trying to resolve the issues that landed you on the board's Hall of Shame...?

:shrug:

This is my only foreign comic. I paid a dollar for it a bit back. Really do not know why though

TeenTitansFrench_zpscac60ebf.jpg

Check with LSComics he might be interested in taking this book off your hands i think he has the other versions of this

I have editions from Mexico and Spain. If it needs a new home I'd be happy to accommodate. (thumbs u
I am open to offers on it. Shoot me a pm

I think a large part of the problem is that you don't realize how condescending your original post sounds...

Oh, on the contrary...I am fully aware of how condescending my post sounds...to you (and, of course, Define999.)

I think it's fairly clear that not everyone shares that opinion, especially considering the thread was a week old before there was any controversy, and included posts by collectors of foreign editions...like me (yes, I collect foreign editions, too. Surprised?)

And my opinion, contrary to yours, is that you are looking for an offense where none exists.

So, either I am being condescending...or you are ultrasensitive and easily offended.

Keeping in mind that neither of us speaks for anyone but ourselves, making blanket statements like "you don't realize how condescending your original post sounds" without qualification is as incorrect as many of the other assumptions made here already.

I'll say it again: your assessment is quite inaccurate. I would be happy to go into further details as to why, if you are interested.

By the way...this highlights a great problem this board has (though certainly not exclusive to this board, of course): people read things through the lens of their own perspective, and are offended by things which were not meant offensively. Instead of investigating to find out what the motive was, people simply launch into harsh and unjust condemnation.

If you, or Define999, or LS, had said "Hey, RMA...your post really sounds anti-foreign to me, did you mean it that way?"

My response would have been "Oh, no, not at all! It was really born out of frustration with a member who was spamming the forum, and wouldn't take the suggestion when asked to stop. I am a collector of foreign editions myself, and would never suggest that English comics are inherently superior to others.

My apologies to anyone who took it that way, it was certainly not intended."

And that would have been the end of it. No fuss. No muss.

Instead, we have several posts of very harsh condemnation, based on assumptions that are completely inaccurate.

Why...?

you have awesome dogs RMA! :hi:

Thanks! I loved them both dearly. :cloud9:

Sadly, they're both gone, and I only have my Casper left. :(

But shouldn't you be trying to resolve the issues that landed you on the board's Hall of Shame...?

that is sad. i know i lost my boy sphynx last summer...I loved that cat dearly.

even if i try to apologize or say anything they say it isnt real or something. another. The mods say it only waters down the effectiveness if people are still dealing trades or buys from me.

This was my cat Ripley Biggles..nephew of Mr Bigglesworth

download_1__zps3f4e20f1.jpg

This is my only foreign comic. I paid a dollar for it a bit back. Really do not know why though

TeenTitansFrench_zpscac60ebf.jpg

Check with LSComics he might be interested in taking this book off your hands i think he has the other versions of this

I have editions from Mexico and Spain. If it needs a new home I'd be happy to accommodate. (thumbs u
I am open to offers on it. Shoot me a pm

Darrell

im die hard Broncos fan but everyone here in California is saying im crazy to think they can beat the hawks...

i say we pray to the baby jesus, not the adult one with the beard but the baby jesus and peyton may have a chance

i hate Sherman

@ RMA: What have you got in the way of foreign books? I'm always curious to see what other foreign collectors are into.

You can get a rough idea of what I collect here if you haven't checked out my site yet. (thumbs u

I have, of course, the Canadian Newsstands (which, yes, may not be "foreign", but they are from a different country.)

I do collect quite a few UK-only publications (mostly related to Alan Moore work) like Warrior, 2000AD, etc.

I also have some of the Phillipine reprints from the early 70's, which I find fascinating. The National Book Store reprints.

I have a couple of French hardcover collections by Moebius (Moebius did beautiful work.)

And I would dearly love to find any Cosmoship Yamato (aka "Star Blazers") adaptation trades from the 70's, but these are very hard to come by.

By the way...this highlights a great problem this board has (though certainly not exclusive to this board, of course): people read things through the lens of their own perspective, and are offended by things which were not meant offensively. Instead of investigating to find out what the motive was, people simply launch into harsh and unjust condemnation.

If you, or Define999, or LS, had said "Hey, RMA...your post really sounds anti-foreign to me, did you mean it that way?"

My response would have been "Oh, no, not at all! It was really born out of frustration with a member who was spamming the forum, and wouldn't take the suggestion when asked to stop. I am a collector of foreign editions myself, and would never suggest that English comics are inherently superior to others.

My apologies to anyone who took it that way, it was certainly not intended."

And that would have been the end of it. No fuss. No muss.

Instead, we have several posts of very harsh condemnation, based on assumptions that are completely inaccurate.

Why...?

OR in your original post, it could have gone with something like,

"I think it would be nice if we could have a central place where we all show off our Foreign Edition coppers. There's been some recent spamming of foreign editions, and when its obviously off-topic in some of those threads, its gotten kind of frustrating for me and probably some other members, and I don't want that to reflect badly on all collector's of foreign editions."

OR you could have pm'd someone who you think was spamming and asked about their motivations.

although your way seems to have worked well too, with the "99.9%" and "US company and US message boards" and the "But UK, Canadians are ok because they use English", "lets keep other threads clean"

to some, your point, which might actually be a good one, gets lost in the tone, that's all I'm saying, and might have been born out of frustration (understandably), but to some sounds like exclusion of certain types of people/preferences with national/language/ethnicity implications, which is something I personally would actively try to avoid, because I wouldn't want people to think I was excluding anyone or that I was jingoistic or xenophobic. Others might not feel the same way, which is certainly fine too, you have a right to not mind being perceived this way of course.

I just disagree with it in the context of trying to achieve your goal of starting this thread, as the wording seems more like trying to engender a response rather than sharing in the joys of foreign comics. Of course, my interpretation is shaped by my experiences, as are yours. I think that if I were into foreign comics, I would not like to 'experience' reading posts like the OP of this thread.

Foreign books are interesting.

Some of them are even pretty neat.

But, as this is a US message board for a US company, and 99.99% of the members here read and are only interested in English language comic books (US, Canada, UK, etc.), it would be nice to not have to see foreign editions in many other threads, especially touted as "the rarest books that exist" every time they are mentioned (which isn't always true.)

Foreign editions in those threads are most decidedly "off-topic." Please do try to keep the other threads clean.

So...in that vein, it would be nice to focus the foreign books in a specific thread, for those who appreciate them to admire, and those who don't need not click.

Post away, gents!

Ill get to the jingoistic, US-centric aspects in a second

A couple points though, to say that a foreign reprint/version/edition/variant version of a specific comic book is not relevant to the conversation of said book is an opinion. A wrong opinion in my humble opinion but they are all opinions. The fact is you nor anybody else has the right to dictate where and how someone decides to post. Thats the mods job correct? I dont like lots of stuff people post. I can choose to ignore it or put the poster on my ignore list.

99% uh? You could be right but Id bet you would be surprised how many members are from other countries. Right off the top of my head I can think of at least 7 members who post regularly who are from other countries and I am sure there are many many more. Now many of them are here to discuss American books, but to tell one of those foreign members that they have a thread where their countries versions of books are welcome is to be quite honest extremely ignorant on the low end and highly discriminatory/ethnocentric on the high end. A foreign version of a book has just as much right to be included in the discussion as the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.8.

Does CGC only slab American books? No, then that means its a company that at least on the surface is welcoming to customers and business from all countries. Using this logic, this clearly means they are a American company which does business internationally. If the forums here are an extension of that business model then it only makes sense that the idea of pigeonholing its foreign visitors and their content into any specific thread is wrong.

I can hear you now but your not foreign youre an American! Doesnt matter, my interest in foreign comics does not change the fact that forcing me to post a foreign version of any book into a specific thread is the same as forcing someone from said country to do the same.

Another point you cant read books inside CGC cases either so your language point is moot. Not being able to read something has no bearing whatsoever on relevancy.

I have no problem creating a thread to highlight foreigns and foreign collecting specifically. In fact I am the creator of the thread in comic general. But the truth is this thread is your attempt to marginalize a member you have a problem with.

Newsflash, thats your problem.. not mine. I will post foreign versions of books in whatever thread I choose. Its the mods choice to decide if its off-topic or not. And here is the funny part. If they do decide it is off-topic then that says something very interesting about CGC doesnt it.

Just a quick response; I can expand if you're interested.

You have taken something personally that is not personal. You have made several incorrect assumptions. That the majority of this board is interested only in English speaking comics does not therefore mean that foreign comics are despised, scorned, and unwelcome. No one is dictating to anyone, nor telling anyone what they can, and cannot, post, because only the board moderators can do that.

It is about balance. Nothing more, and nothing less.

The majority of the board is not interested in Strawberry Shortcake comics. If someone was to spam their Strawberry Shortcake comics in every thread, posting an "OFFICIAL Strawberry Shortcake thread" would not therefore be anti-Strawberry Shortcake. A place for everything, and everything in its place.

As far as "marginalizing" anyone: Solarcadet1 is a member of this board's Hall of Shame. Being put on this list is no small feat. As an example of one of your incorrect assumptions: I do not have anything *personally* against Solarcadet1.

Like I said, I'll be happy to expand these thoughts if you're truly interested in dialogue and understanding (and this is not a putdown, either. I mean that sincerely.)

You know maybe I chose language that was to strong…. Dictate is a strong word. Maybe instead I should have used the wording of “nicely asking”?

Yes please expand, I need further clarity on your statements. Like….

These words here….

“it would be nice to not have to see foreign editions in many other threads”

I understand what it is like to be annoyed when you see something for the umpteenth time. It blows, I get it….. but the last thing I would do is nicely ask those that post the stuff I am not interested in to put it somewhere else. I would probably get my fill of their junk and then block or hide the user. Especially if in order to make a statement about a member who I didn’t agree with….. I was to nicely ask everyone that posted similar content to refrain from posting in the threads I frequented.

Or clarify your statements here…..

“Foreign editions in those threads are most decidedly "off-topic." Please do try to keep the other threads clean.”

Again, not even discussing the poor choice of words… your strawberry shortcake argument is confusing to me. Strawberry shortcake has nothing to do with Iron man. But a foreign version of Iron man does have something to do with Iron man does it not? If one is discussing more specific things then its up to the poster to decide if his information is relevant.

Just for fun lets say a thread is a like a conversation though limited as it may be to an actual conversation between multiple people but a conversation none the less. If the conversation were about a specific comic, a type, market value, comics rarity, purpose, creation whatever… how is it that a foreign version of the same comic story arc, cover art, meaning, or creative process though seen thru the lens of a different language or publisher but basically claims its lineage from the original American book not relevant to the conversation? Relevancy is up to the participants and the person offering his angle to the conversation.

Now if the conversations participants don’t think it relates then that’s fine. What so often happens is when groups of people are discussing things the other participants in the convo just ignore the statements of the other conversationalist.

I understand that, and when I try adding my 2 cents to conversations and no one is interested in I usually get the hint and shut up! But that’s up to me to get the hint right?

Now, the difference is when someone in the group convo tells me very politely that what I have to say has no meaning on their conversation and to go talk with those people over there and go away…. Well you see, that is your right, and my right is to judge you politely but appropriately.

Revat is right, when you make blanket statements and opinions that affect the posting behavior of whole groups of collectors however small because you have a problem with another member actions. Well, that’s not very well though out…..

And you know I do agree with much of what you are saying…. Solarcadet did a good enough job marginalizing himself. But, when you politely comment that about 70% of the content that I post doesn’t belong in your average thread discussion here at the boards because you are tired of looking at it…… How could I not take that personally. Mainly because of your blanket statement about all foreign content…. thats how I read it..... (shrug) your problem really is with solarcadet... I get that I think.

Unless, maybe im getting it wrong? Clarify for me again why my Greek Iron man55 doesn’t belong in the Bronze age IM55 thread in Bronze? Or what about the Spawn thread here in copper. Tell me why my very large foreign Spawn #1 collection has no place in the Spawn#1 thread? Is it because you cant read it? Is it because you don’t like it? Or is it because your not interested in it?

I can meet you half way here…. I can agree that maybe I took your post to personally… but can you agree that maybe you used a poor choice of words? (shrug)

OR in your original post, it could have gone with something like,

"I think it would be nice if we could have a central place where we all show off our Foreign Edition coppers. There's been some recent spamming of foreign editions, and when its obviously off-topic in some of those threads, its gotten kind of frustrating for me and probably some other members, and I don't want that to reflect badly on all collector's of foreign editions."

You are certainly free to post your way. I am certainly free to post mine.

I have never condemned anyone based on what I assumed their motives were, without bothering to investigate first.

You, on the other hand, have.

The difference lies there.

OR you could have pm'd someone who you think was spamming and asked about their motivations.

Everyone involved already knew Solarcadet1s motivations. He was asked to stop, and refused.

although your way seems to have worked well too, with the "99.9%" and "US company and US message boards" and the "But UK, Canadians are ok because they use English", "lets keep other threads clean"

You continue to choose to be offended at what isn't there, and that is your choice. But choosing to be offended when there is no offense is a terrible waste of time. If you wish to believe that the underlying subtext of my comments was and is "English comics GOOD, foreign comics BAD!!", that is YOUR OWN PERCEPTION. You see that which isn't there. That is neither my fault nor my problem.

to some, your point, which might actually be a good one, gets lost in the tone, that's all I'm saying, and might have been born out of frustration (understandably), but to some sounds like exclusion of certain types of people/preferences with national/language/ethnicity implications, which is something I personally would actively try to avoid, because I wouldn't want people to think I was excluding anyone or that I was jingoistic or xenophobic. Others might not feel the same way, which is certainly fine too, you have a right to not mind being perceived this way of course.

And which "some" gets to dictate? The answer, of course, is none.

My advice to you remains the same: before condemning anyone, you might want to investigate and see what it is they actually meant, if it is at all unclear. If their answer conforms to your original judgment, by all means, feel free to condemn. But if it does not, you will have spared both yourself and the other person unnecessary conflict.

Otherwise, it just makes you look like you condemn people based on nothing but your own perceptions, right, wrong, or otherwise.

Also, do not look to be offended, and you probably won't be, and don't make assumptions that aren't supported by facts.

@ RMA: What have you got in the way of foreign books? I'm always curious to see what other foreign collectors are into.

You can get a rough idea of what I collect here if you haven't checked out my site yet. (thumbs u

I have, of course, the Canadian Newsstands (which, yes, may not be "foreign", but they are from a different country.)

I do collect quite a few UK-only publications (mostly related to Alan Moore work) like Warrior, 2000AD, etc.

I also have some of the Phillipine reprints from the early 70's, which I find fascinating. The National Book Store reprints.

I have a couple of French hardcover collections by Moebius (Moebius did beautiful work.)

And I would dearly love to find any Cosmoship Yamato (aka "Star Blazers") adaptation trades from the 70's, but these are very hard to come by.

The Canadian Newsstand books are cool, I don't have any but I can appreciate them.

The UK stuff you mention isn't really my cup of tea, so to speak. lol

I have some of the National Bookstore and Goodwill Bookstore editions myself. I haven't picked up any of the Alemar Bookstore ones yet though. I'd be very interested to know what Filipino books you have. The damn things are so scarce I just like being able to verify that copies of some still exist. I suspect that there are at least a few that there aren't any surviving copies of. For the last couple of years we've been trying to sort out the rhyme and reason of how they decided what to print, who had the rights to print what material and dates etc.