• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOSTON COMIC CON 2014 - Aug 8-10, 2014

199 posts in this topic

The show was great and I'm grateful to CGC for taking the trip up but, man, they need to tighten the ship with the way their reps are handling books. I just have to make peace with the thought that my likely 9.8s are coming back to me way below that. Uncool, CGC.

What happened?

I got a couple books signed by Stan Sakai. I made it back to the CGC booth and began filling out paperwork. Whilst I was doing so the CGC rep said, "You should transfer these to non-window bags." I said I would. However, before I knew what was going on she yanked the books from the window bags, thumb pressed firmly and deeply into the top of each book, and dropped them into new bags and boards. I was shocked at how slipshod the handling of the books was. If she didn't crease the books I am assuming her sweaty thumbprints are pasted all over them.

I can't say with certainty that CGC damages books, but I can say with certainty that I get pre-screened books returned to me (that didn't pass) with damage I know they didn't have going in. Of course USPS is a part of the equation, but (shrug)

On a different note, I didn't go to BostonCon, but invincifans was able to get me an Ottley sketch that is pretty groovy...

14874430401_d0c9cce773_o.jpg

The show was great and I'm grateful to CGC for taking the trip up but, man, they need to tighten the ship with the way their reps are handling books. I just have to make peace with the thought that my likely 9.8s are coming back to me way below that. Uncool, CGC.

What happened?

I got a couple books signed by Stan Sakai. I made it back to the CGC booth and began filling out paperwork. Whilst I was doing so the CGC rep said, "You should transfer these to non-window bags." I said I would. However, before I knew what was going on she yanked the books from the window bags, thumb pressed firmly and deeply into the top of each book, and dropped them into new bags and boards. I was shocked at how slipshod the handling of the books was. If she didn't crease the books I am assuming her sweaty thumbprints are pasted all over them.

I can't say with certainty that CGC damages books, but I can say with certainty that I get pre-screened books returned to me (that didn't pass) with damage I know they didn't have going in. Of course USPS is a part of the equation, but (shrug)

On a different note, I didn't go to BostonCon, but invincifans was able to get me an Ottley sketch that is pretty groovy...

14874430401_d0c9cce773_o.jpg

Very nice!

You need to pack them up like they could be dropped from outer space without damage.

I had a great time this year. Left the house yesterday at 7am for the show (I'm 2 hours from Boston, and I didn't feel like waiting forever in line this year). $17 all day parking across the street was the way to go, quick access to my books so I could take some weight out of my backpack after I got some signatures.

image_zpsb68063b4.jpg

I arrived around 9am and got in the prepaid line (which was already 1/4 of its way around the building, and in direct sunlight). It was a beautiful day, but that much sun started taking its toll on all the fans waiting. Here are some shots from the line:

image_zpsf2707352.jpg

image_zpsa6b2fed8.jpg

image_zpsae4b683d.jpg

More photos and report later.....!

The convention staff did a great job this year. At about 9:45 they opened the doors for all prepaid ticket holders. The convention center was nice and cool inside, but it heated back up once there were thousands of people walking around. I made sure to grab a con shirt and program first (as they ran out early last year). Rocket Raccoon must have paid off great as the t-shirt theme this year, at least 5 people asked me where I got the shirt.

image_zps492899a2.jpg

I took a while to familiarize myself with the floor and located the artists and writers I wanted to meet. The map was spot on, I didn't have a hard time finding anyone.....except Mark Waid and Carlos Pacheco (neither of them had the big flashy banners that everyone else had). Next I headed to CGC's booth to start getting some signatures.

image_zps4263012e.jpg

I had CGC witness 3 books: ASM 297 signed by Alex Saviuk, Usagi Yojimbo 1 signed by Stan Sakai, and Groo the Wanderer signed by Sergio Aragones AND Stan Sakai. I'm hoping that all of these books come back VF/NM or better :wishluck: I also had Paul Ryan signing a higher grade copy of ASM Annual 21 witnessed...

image_zps91893734.jpg

Pacheco

image_zpsd3b7333f.jpg

Saviuk

image_zps93f4ec80.jpg

Aragones

image_zps81e8d89e.jpg

Sakai

image_zpsf7994973.jpg

Ryan

Cosplay, wall books and more photos to follow!

Here are a couple more artists:

image_zpsd2dd7068.jpg

Mike McKone

image_zps43ff57ae.jpg

Jeff Smith

The cosplayers were out in force again this year. I saw lots of kids dressed up with parents who were dressed up along with them :headbang:

I missed out on some excellent costumes early on in the day, but here some of the shots I did take:

image_zps31ba376d.jpg

image_zpsa0571943.jpg

image_zpse17df5a7.jpg

image_zps93764474.jpg

image_zps1f1242f9.jpg

image_zps65540a8f.jpg

image_zps74e58c66.jpg

image_zpsd105376b.jpg

image_zps9f68cb4e.jpg

image_zps2e2782cf.jpg

I had a great time this year. Left the house yesterday at 7am for the show (I'm 2 hours from Boston, and I didn't feel like waiting forever in line this year). $17 all day parking across the street was the way to go, quick access to my books so I could take some weight out of my backpack after I got some signatures.

image_zpsb68063b4.jpg

I arrived around 9am and got in the prepaid line (which was already 1/4 of its way around the building, and in direct sunlight). It was a beautiful day, but that much sun started taking its toll on all the fans waiting. Here are some shots from the line:

image_zpsf2707352.jpg

image_zpsa6b2fed8.jpg

image_zpsae4b683d.jpg

The convention staff did a great job this year. At about 9:45 they opened the doors for all prepaid ticket holders. The convention center was nice and cool inside, but it heated back up once there were thousands of people walking around. I made sure to grab a con shirt and program first (as they ran out early last year). Rocket Raccoon must have paid off great as the t-shirt theme this year, at least 5 people asked me where I got the shirt.

image_zps492899a2.jpg

I took a while to familiarize myself with the floor and located the artists and writers I wanted to meet. The map was spot on, I didn't have a hard time finding anyone.....except Mark Waid and Carlos Pacheco (neither of them had the big flashy banners that everyone else had). Next I headed to CGC's booth to start getting some signatures.

image_zps4263012e.jpg

I had CGC witness 3 books: ASM 297 signed by Alex Saviuk, Usagi Yojimbo 1 signed by Stan Sakai, and Groo the Wanderer signed by Sergio Aragones AND Stan Sakai. I'm hoping that all of these books come back VF/NM or better :wishluck: I also had Paul Ryan signing a higher grade copy of ASM Annual 21 witnessed...

image_zps91893734.jpg

Pacheco

image_zpsd3b7333f.jpg

Saviuk

image_zps93f4ec80.jpg

Aragones

image_zps81e8d89e.jpg

Sakai

image_zpsf7994973.jpg

Ryan

image_zpsd2dd7068.jpg

Mike McKone

image_zps43ff57ae.jpg

Jeff Smith

The cosplayers were out in force again this year. I saw lots of kids dressed up with parents who were dressed up along with them :headbang:

I missed out on some excellent costumes early on in the day, but here some of the shots I did take:

image_zps31ba376d.jpg

image_zpsa0571943.jpg

image_zpse17df5a7.jpg

image_zps93764474.jpg

image_zps1f1242f9.jpg

image_zps65540a8f.jpg

image_zps74e58c66.jpg

image_zpsd105376b.jpg

image_zps9f68cb4e.jpg

image_zps2e2782cf.jpg

Towards the end of the day I stopped to check out GACollectibles' booth and the Hot Flips booth (featuring Pontoon). Saw a nice She Hulk 1 that almost came home with me..,.

image_zps53f3fe93.jpg

Glad to see Matt & Suzanne Wieringo (Brother and Sister-in-law of Mike Wieringo). Mike Wieringo is one of my favorite modern comic artists and I always make a donation to the scholarship fund whenever I see them at a convention.

image_zps43017dd5.jpg

Towards the end of the day I stopped to check out GACollectibles' booth and the Hot Flips booth (featuring Pontoon). Saw a nice She Hulk 1 that almost came home with me..,.

image_zps53f3fe93.jpg

That's funny, I had stepped away from the booth and you caught another dealer in the pic with Pontoon.

Btw thanks to a weekend of more than excellent help from DP and also a shout out to Dmac when he stopped by for a few and he helped out during a flurry of activity! (worship)

image_zpsb68063b4.jpg

image_zpsf2707352.jpg

image_zpsa6b2fed8.jpg

image_zpsae4b683d.jpg

image_zps492899a2.jpg

image_zps4263012e.jpg

image_zps91893734.jpg

Pacheco

image_zpsd3b7333f.jpg

Saviuk

image_zps93f4ec80.jpg

Aragones

image_zps81e8d89e.jpg

Sakai

image_zpsf7994973.jpg

Ryan

image_zpsd2dd7068.jpg

Mike McKone

image_zps43ff57ae.jpg

Jeff Smith

image_zps31ba376d.jpg

image_zpsa0571943.jpg

image_zpse17df5a7.jpg

image_zps93764474.jpg

image_zps1f1242f9.jpg

image_zps65540a8f.jpg

image_zps74e58c66.jpg

image_zpsd105376b.jpg

image_zps9f68cb4e.jpg

image_zps2e2782cf.jpg

image_zps53f3fe93.jpg

Glad to see Matt & Suzanne Wieringo (Brother and Sister-in-law of Mike Wieringo). Mike Wieringo is one of my favorite modern comic artists and I always make a donation to the scholarship fund whenever I see them at a convention.

image_zps43017dd5.jpg

Here are a couple more booths and.....the wall books.

image_zpsf15ad8f8.jpg

image_zpsfe5584b7.jpg

image_zpsadadf92f.jpg

image_zps25c81b3f.jpg

image_zps82031e3d.jpg

image_zps398a9063.jpg

image_zps6be4c9a1.jpg

image_zps65ef55cf.jpg

image_zps20db92d1.jpg

image_zpsfd927bf9.jpg

image_zps5ae0bea4.jpg

image_zps1ece1031.jpg

image_zpsb003411c.jpg

image_zps78159034.jpg

image_zpsdcb38751.jpg

image_zps78d4e278.jpg

The end!

image_zps53f3fe93.jpg

That's funny, I had stepped away from the booth and you caught another dealer in the pic with Pontoon.

Btw thanks to a weekend of more than excellent help from DP and also a shout out to Dmac when he stopped by for a few and he helped out during a flurry of activity! (worship)

Ironically I couldn't find Patrick at the ComicallySpeaking booth.

AmazingComics413 -

Did you happen to get a picture of Spider-woman's female friend?

image_zps1f1242f9.jpg

She was with a woman when she came by the booth and not the Devious Dr. Dumpty, or whoever this guys is.

No I did not, she was taking a photo next to me in that picture. :sorry:

AmazingComics413 -

Did you happen to get a picture of Spider-woman's female friend?

image_zps1f1242f9.jpg

She was with a woman when she came by the booth and not the Devious Dr. Dumpty, or whoever this guys is.

No I did not, she was taking a photo next to me in that picture. :sorry:

I have no idea how that got into the picture, but she is holding a nice bag :whistle: