• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MONDAY'S COMIC ZONE- CGC'S STEVE BOROCK & PAUL LITCH

361 posts in this topic

Call Steve and ask him what? I know very well that slabbed books receive damage post-slabbing...as I have a bunch of examples in my collection.

Should I call Steve and ask what he's going to do about it?

A fellow forum member did exactly that, and CGC re-holdered his book and the SCS damage magically disappeared.

What troubles me is that CGC's solution to SCS may very well be PRESSING.

Of course....to collectors like me...that's merely the lesser of two evils .

This information seems to have stopped a few people in their tracks 893whatthe.gif

Beyonder, would the forum member in question be willing to state this on the boards, and ideally provide scans of the book before and after re-slabbing?

It's amazing that CGC would do this for one board member and not offer the same "solution" to Scott...? (Or maybe they have?) Perhaps Scott has too many examples to make this feasible?

If CGC is pressing books in an effort to fix problems with its holder, we're in real trouble here folks...

I don't want the defects pressed out so I don't care whether someone didn't offer that to me (no one did, FYI). I want the problem with the design of the holder to be fixed, and pronto.

For the record I called in to the show and a very nice guy ( the internet intro guy I think) took my call, asked my name, and where I was from, and that was it. No screening. I called in to get some up to date info on turnaround times, and hopefully was diplomatic about it. I had never had the chance to talk to Steve in person and it seemed like a good opportunity to ask about my pet peeve. I think I did mention that I was quite fond of the CGC product in general, just still concerned about turnaround times.

I was actually a bit surprised that they didn't ask what my question was about. But I appreciated Vincent providing the forum and I didn't have any problems with the way Steve handled the question. It wasn't necessarily the answer I wanted to hear, but I wasn't calling to pound on anyone.

I plan on listening to more of the shows in the ComicZone archives,.....of course if they were gearing the show to us malcontents, it would cover a steady stream of controversial topics, but the target audience extends a bit beyond the boards I think. The hour show seemed to go by very quickly listening to it live, and I came away wanting to know much, much more about Litch's hernia operation. Perhaps someday an hour devoted solely to that?

Anyway, thanks to Vincent and Steve.

I'm not surprised they didn't screen. I mean, c'mon guys, it's not nightline, ya know. Most talk radio is pretty loosy goosy in terms of screening and the like, unless you've got millions listening like the Howard Stern show. I'm guessing that the listenership for that radio program is pretty durned tiny, though I'm not knocking it...cool show and all.

My point wasn't that they were trying to screen out troublemakers, just that they might like to give the mod and guest a 30 second lead on what was coming up. But then again, you have the internet intro guy, Vincent and Steve in three widely spaced locations.

I think THE most important thing that everyones seems to be glossing over is WHY and HOW, Plitch got his Hernia.

He seemed very evasive about his answer.. and I for one will not rest unitil I solve this important mystery.

Ze-

I'm not surprised they didn't screen. I mean, c'mon guys, it's not nightline, ya know. Most talk radio is pretty loosy goosy in terms of screening and the like, unless you've got millions listening like the Howard Stern show. I'm guessing that the listenership for that radio program is pretty durned tiny, though I'm not knocking it...cool show and all.

The number of people who listen may be tiny, but it definitely seems to have grown in the past couple of months. Congrats to Vincent for building a fan base. 893applaud-thumb.gif It is a great show.

I think THE most important thing that everyones seems to be glossing over is WHY and HOW, Plitch got his Hernia.

He seemed very evasive about his answer.. and I for one will not rest unitil I solve this important mystery.

Ze-

Hey YOU try picking up 500 slabed books a day and the see whos laughing!!!!! sign-rantpost.gifmakepoint.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

...Sigh... and we seemed to be getting along so well for awhile there!

We aren't getting along? I don't like you any more or any less as a result of this conversation. As a matter of fact I not only respect your opinion, but actually agree with a lot of what you have to say on this issue (and many other issues for that matter).

Do you honestly think that I don't want answers?

No, I don't think that. but I do think that you want answerers to questions that there currently are no answerers for.

The way I see understand it is that CGC knows there's a problem, but they have no solution at this time. I think they would like to find a solution, but haven't yet. I also understand your desire for this issue to get addressed, but just because it isn't happening on your time table doesn't mean it wont happen.

But I don't really understand why the major issues on these threads always boil down to one side saying "here's a problem" and the other side saying

"that's not a problem"

or

"that's not MY problem"

or

"if you think it's a problem call Steve"

I don't think this is the case here. There is a problem, anyone that can't see that is just stupid. However, I think the real problem is that there isn't a solution to the problem yet.

I'm not saying you, OG, are on the "other side" of the SCS issue, because I don't think you are (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

You are correct, mostly. I just don't think I see the "sides" the same way you do. I think there are people that are frustrated that there is no solution, but still see the value in CGC. Then there are people that are frustrated there is no solution and don't think CGC has any value any way.

I'm just saying that there's a tendency to trivialize other people's viewpoints, and/or use convenient excuses and distractions in an effort to minimize those opposing viewpoints.

To this point I've offered up advice based on what has worked for me in the past. Could it work for you as well? Maybe, but I don't know, and neither do you. And we wont know unless you try it.

And from all of this, the outcome is that I or someone else should call Steve and try to extract a straight answer in a 1-on-1 setting, so we can then come post it on Steve's behalf? C'mon.

What would you like to happen then? Steve is obviously not going to respond here, so knowing that, what would you like to see happen?

Get me soon, because I'm right at the point where I remember as much as I'm ever going to remember, and the point where it all starts draining out of my brain pan until I'm just a drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Like Greggy.

This information seems to have stopped a few people in their tracks 893whatthe.gif

What "information"? Come on. "Some guy said....." is something we need to take seriously? We demand prof on these boards all the time, "some guy said" wouldn't pass the BS test if this "guy" were on the other side of this discussion.

Get me soon, because I'm right at the point where I remember as much as I'm ever going to remember, and the point where it all starts draining out of my brain pan until I'm just a drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Like Greggy.

Dammit....I've already sent your books! sumo.gif

Like Greggy.

Timing is everything, kid. 27_laughing.gif

Like Greggy.

So that means he will get them in around 2 or 4 months..?

after Canadien Customs rifles through them all?

poke2.gif

Ze-

Like Greggy.

So that means he will get them in around 2 or 4 months..?

after Canadien Customs rifles through them all?

poke2.gif

Ze-

confused.gif Why would Canada customs care about what I send out? I would worried about the Hoosier postal comic collectors! sumo.gif