• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 300 Todd cover art $39k?

22 posts in this topic

I was offered this Todd autographed original cover art when it 1st came out around 1986 or 87. Back then a local retailer wanted $1k for it. I told him he was trying to rip me off as it was Spidey in a black costume which would never amount to anything. I may have paid the scratch if it was the classic red & blue costume. So I wisely invested my $$ in Batman Death in the Family & Superman logo variant JL 3 & Firestorm 61 b/c CVM told me they were red hot. In hindsight, perhaps I made a faux pas. See the current eBay auction.

How would u compare this to Hulk 181 cgc 9.8 $19k?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2157940036&category=972

Means central Spidey /Venom figure & top web design is original Todd pen/ink art. Balance of the "300" background is all photocopied pasted on stat (not orig. art). Realistically, this Todd cover would sell for $18k since it has no other major hero (Capt Amer) or villian (Sabretooth, Hobgoblin) on it.

Lots of hi-end comic cover art on eBay with amazingly high buy it now prices. Think there is a vintage 1960s Ditko ASM #10 cover orig. art now asking $50k. Can I get an interest free loan from JP or Geppi?

Danno, Pat no longers owns any covers. He used to own 12 covers but has none at this time. He only has the art to some friggin' poster and the art to his comic bags left. The poster one is the only oversized piece that he believes Todd did! shocked.gif

Bruce, the joke didn't go that far over. tongue.gif

As for the Big Red Machine.... I think they made Pete, not the other way around... but that is for another board. And I thank you for giving me back my stars. May Ghost Rider's flames never make their way into your shorts!

Means central Spidey /Venom figure & top web design is original Todd pen/ink art. Balance of the "300" background is all photocopied pasted on stat (not orig. art).

There was a discussion of this cover on another list with some original art collectors. One guy mentioned that the background stats were not originally on the art, as he had seen it when it was first being offered for sale. That a collector that owned the piece added the "300" stat work to recreate the look of the cover. He also said the bottom webbing & buildings are stats (but not whether or not they were on art originally). Not that this would ruin the value of the art, but if true, it would certainly drop my interest in it (not that my interest is antwhere near $40,000).

May have been my buddy Tyler. He is correct. The 300 b/w stat was indeed added after. Not sure if stat is now glued on or just clear overlay. When I first saw the ASM 300 cover art, the perimeter around the central black Spidey figure was all white. That is where Todd 1st personalized the art to the retailer.

When I first saw the ASM 300 cover art, the perimeter around the central black Spidey figure was all white

Surely it would have been better to retain the art in this original condition?

I know that I wouldn't want to own something that had been altered by a third party.

Isn't it just like buying a restored comic book?