• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby on a cover?

12 posts in this topic

Saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161199264693&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

I dont think its real, but it got me wondering if anyone has seen Kirby sign a cover (not counting the DF Milestone numbered comics)?

He always seemed to sign the page 1 splash... but would he sign a cover?

I am not a Kirby expert by any stretch of the imagination, but that is a huge signature. The ones that I have seen are not that large, except on some of the full sized commissions, where those are more like inscriptions with a big signature.

It looks too modern - large, on the front cover, across the copy, at an odd angle...

I can't see the signature well enough to judge it but the Stan Lee looks fishy. Generally, Kirby found a clear space and adjusted the size of his signature to fit.

Depends when Stan signed it, but man those are some of the worst signature placements I have ever seen. This seller may have a hard time selling this comic. How many fake Kirby signatures are there out there? I know Stan Lee has quite a few in the market of fake signatures.

I am not a Kirby expert by any stretch of the imagination, but that is a huge signature. The ones that I have seen are not that large, except on some of the full sized commissions, where those are more like inscriptions with a big signature.

thats what I thought.

Kirby certainly cared about his art, and I dont know that I've ever seen him sign across it, and the few times he has signed a cover (like the DF Milestones) he was very precise about it so to not affect the art)

Saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161199264693&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

I dont think its real, but it got me wondering if anyone has seen Kirby sign a cover (not counting the DF Milestone numbered comics)?

He always seemed to sign the page 1 splash... but would he sign a cover?

Considering the seller has a 95.7% feedback, and most of the "dings" have been from incomplete orders sent out and damaged cards and books, this is a "STAY THE HELL AWAY! auction. lol

Definatley looks real to me for both signatures. The seller doesn't strike me as a huge dealer in comics first of all, so I'm not sure where the seller would know enough to get fake accurate signatures of stan lee and Kirby.

The signatures absolutely look real. I've seen alot of kirby and stan signatures and these fit in perfectly. The bad placement even emphasizes that this is legit.

For those doubting the Stan and Jack signature. These people signed hundreds of comics at each convention they went to. The signatures are never going to be perfect replicas or even clean. The key with vintage Stan signatures is the S and T and how they're placed. This seems to be correct.

For the same reason above, the kirby is also legit. The DF comics were a limited run that kirby was being paid for, so no doubt he was going to be careful about the placement. But signing a stack a con is totally different and I can imagine a hurried kirby signing this way.Hell I've seen upside down Stan sigs so go figure.

If I was going to fake a stan and jack sig, i'd pick a better comic than this one for sure!

I am a huge fan of Jack and have cobbled up Kirby signed books left and right for a few years now. What I have found to be consistently true is Jack's fondness for signing on the bottom portion of the splash page. In fact, the only Kirby signatures that I've ever seen on covers that were legitimate were the Dynamic Forces Marvel Milestone issues.

My general rule of thumb is any book boasting a Kirby signature that is NOT on the bottom splash -- avoid it at all costs.