• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor 249 signed by Len Wein, possibly add Stan Lee...

15 posts in this topic

So I have a question..

I have an issue of Thor 249, i had purchased it at a convention when I found out Len Wein was signing, but to my dismay, just found out a few minor issues; so my question is first, how will the value be if i add Stan Lee;s signature as i have a chance to meet him, and also if i were to get it graded, how would a few pages with very slight slits at the bottom or top, and a page which previously had a coupon, was cutout, could anyone estimate a grade and/or value?if i should go ahead and get it signed and graded, which grade color should i choose?

lastly, sorry!

if i should get another comic signed, i have Iron Man #209 30th Anniversary, Marvel Holiday editions, Captain America #1 (2012), X-men Gold #1, and Wolverine Origin II #1 that i am considering…leaning towards Cap and Wolverine

thanks for taking the time! it will be greatly appreciated

I have an issue of Thor 249, i had purchased it at a convention when I found out Len Wein was signing, but to my dismay, just found out a few minor issues; so my question is first, how will the value be if i add Stan Lee;s signature as i have a chance to meet him, and also if i were to get it graded, how would a few pages with very slight slits at the bottom or top, and a page which previously had a coupon, was cutout, could anyone estimate a grade and/or value?if i should go ahead and get it signed and graded, which grade color should i choose?

Keep it raw - if you add a verified Stan Lee signature to it, the missing coupon would ensure a CGC 0.5 yellow label. You'd be flushing your money down the toilet.

Honestly - even without the missing coupon, it still really wouldn't be worth it to get this book slabbed due to the existing, unverified signature.

if i should get another comic signed, i have Iron Man #209 30th Anniversary, Marvel Holiday editions, Captain America #1 (2012), X-men Gold #1, and Wolverine Origin II #1 that i am considering…leaning towards Cap and Wolverine

If you're slabbing these books because of sentimental attachment, I'd say pick your favorite books & knock yourself out. If you're doing it with an eye for resale, none of the books you mention would be good contenders.

ya for the other comics i would do for sentimental value; but for the thor i figure why not take a gamble;

im a little confused by what you mean though if i add the Stan Lee signature; for the .5 grade, why so low? and the unverified Wein signature?

sorry, as you can tell I'm new to comic grading, signatures, etc

ya for the other comics i would do for sentimental value; but for the thor i figure why not take a gamble;

im a little confused by what you mean though if i add the Stan Lee signature; for the .5 grade, why so low? and the unverified Wein signature?

sorry, as you can tell I'm new to comic grading, signatures, etc

Slow down and read. The clipped coupon means an incomplete book. If you yellow label it, it will be a .5

The Wein signature is unverified because you didn't have a CGC witness with you when the sig was obtained. Thus it is not now, nor will it ever be, verified. So it is counted as a defect as well.

Normally when you have a book with a coupon cut out, CGC will slab it in a Qualified green label holder and will grade the book as if the coupon is still there.

This is also the case for for an unverified signature on the front cover - by default it means the book ends up in a Qualified label slab and the signature is ignored for grading purposes.

The yellow CGC Signature Series holder is reserved for books with verified signatures - eg. ones that were witnessed by a CGC employee or CAW. Those books are also graded as if the signature doesn't exist.

The problem is when you try to combine a defect that would otherwise dump the book in a Qualified label slab (an unverified signature, a missing coupon, etc) with a verified signature - the Signature Series label is technically Qualified as well, but the only element that's ignored during grading of SS books is the verified signature. So in those cases you'd get a massive grade drop for the unverified signature and for the missing coupon - it's the missing coupon that'll get you the 0.5 grade.

ooh that makes a lot of sense!

but just to be clear, the Stan Lee signature would not be 'verified' either as there will not be a CGC administrator present;

so with both unverified sigs, and the cutout, i would go green label, and how high would you think my grade would be?

also, what is the, i guess significance, of having a signature 'verified' or not? i mean if it is to check for forgery, those are usually easy to decipher, no?

Normally when you have a book with a coupon cut out, CGC will slab it in a Qualified green label holder and will grade the book as if the coupon is still there.

This is also the case for for an unverified signature on the front cover - by default it means the book ends up in a Qualified label slab and the signature is ignored for grading purposes.

The yellow CGC Signature Series holder is reserved for books with verified signatures - eg. ones that were witnessed by a CGC employee or CAW. Those books are also graded as if the signature doesn't exist.

The problem is when you try to combine a defect that would otherwise dump the book in a Qualified label slab (an unverified signature, a missing coupon, etc) with a verified signature - the Signature Series label is technically Qualified as well, but the only element that's ignored during grading of SS books is the verified signature. So in those cases you'd get a massive grade drop for the unverified signature and for the missing coupon - it's the missing coupon that'll get you the 0.5 grade.

See e.g. the Batman 181 that I did with the missing centerfold. :acclaim:

ya i was just confused as to each grading and what is considered a defect; but for unverified sigs as i just posted also, why or what makes it more significant just because a CGC admin was present?

If you got it signed then slabbed later, it would say " 2 names written on the cover" rather than signed by Stan Lee & Len Wein.

If you then wanted to sell it at a later point, you would only have your word that the sigs were genuine and a 0.5 book with unverified sigs would get you Tree Fiddy on ebay :shy: