• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko original art question?

27 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I don't venture over in this section of the board much but when I do I am always impressed with everyones original art....

I was wondering if anyone here or if anyone knows where the original art is for the 6 full page battle scenes from The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1? Spidey versus the Sinister Six. I would love to see them.

They are some beautiful pieces of art from the great Ditko. I was re-reading my ASM volume 1 Masterworks and admiring them a bit ago. It is a great comic I just always wondered why the six didn't all battle Spidey at once? lol Would have been interesting........

that awesome book and art has never hit the market.

:wishluck: Maybe someday….

Somebody on these boards posted a list at one point of known Ditko ASM issues that have had pages hit the market. I did a quick search and didn't find it but it's around somewhere…. Maybe I'll do more digging when I'm not at work lol

..... sorry about the poor quality...... but here's the first page of an inventory list of original art that was still in Marvel's possession in the early 80's. It is believed that much of it "walked away" not too long afterward.... but details are sketchy. It's most likely that this material would trade privately..... but that's WAY above my stratosphere. I've also heard horror stories of ASM and Doc Strange pages being returned to Ditko and used by him to clean his brushes on. These are all allegations.... urban myth if you will..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. ASM is listed with the "S" titles....

art1.jpg

Somebody on these boards posted a list at one point of known Ditko ASM issues that have had pages hit the market. I did a quick search and didn't find it but it's around somewhere…. Maybe I'll do more digging when I'm not at work lol

Why not do it at work and get paid for it?? lol

I'll take a crack at the Ditko ASM issues that have had at least 1 page on the market. Someone more knowledgeable than I can edit.

3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 18, 20 (complete last I heard), 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, Ann 2

I'll take a crack at the Ditko ASM issues that have had at least 1 page on the market. Someone more knowledgeable than I can edit.

3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 18, 20 (complete last I heard), 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, Ann 2

10 and 31 were also sold as complete stories at one point. The 31 went for a little more than 20K (for the WHOLE book) at Sotheby's...... what a deal in hindsight. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I clicked on this thread hoping beyond all hope that it would begin with:

'I have this original Art for some stupid character named Speedball. Does anyone want to buy it?'

...one day.

...and here I was thinking the same, except for Micronauts!

(thumbs u (worship)

'I have this original Art for some stupid character named Speedball. Does anyone want to buy it?'

...one day.

Have the Micronauts been on sale? I must admit it is get a bit frustrating waiting for a Speedball page to make it to the market. I have seen two pages and one cover (which is still out there for $6000) on the market in the last few years.

apparently ditko has stacks of pages he wont let anyone see. and i did read an interview where the interviewer actually saw pages ditko was using to cut on-that is not urban legend....

...one day.

Have the Micronauts been on sale? I must admit it is get a bit frustrating waiting for a Speedball page to make it to the market. I have seen two pages and one cover (which is still out there for $6000) on the market in the last few years.

I can't speak for Speedball...

There have only been a smattering of Ditko Micronauts pages available in the past few years; other than my lone page from Annual #2, the only 3 other ones I've seen are from his fill-in issue #39. I would love to see examples from Annual #1, but, as he penciled AND inked that issue, none are on the market. (Though the cover is owned by someone else)

Andrew

apparently ditko has stacks of pages he wont let anyone see. and i did read an interview where the interviewer actually saw pages ditko was using to cut on-that is not urban legend....

I am still in doubt of this. I like the post at http://fourrealities.blogspot.com/2008/08/curious-incident-of-cut-artwork.html

I am still in doubt of this. I like the post at http://fourrealities.blogspot.com/2008/08/curious-incident-of-cut-artwork.html

Yep. I've seen that article. I doubt it too.

art1.jpg

Does Marvel still own some/a lot of this art? Or did all of it makes it way into the marketplace over the years? I can't remember what the deal is... (shrug)

Wasn't that an inventory of the art before Marvel returned it to the artists, with the artists signing a release form (Kirby's being the stricter one)?

Between the inventory and art release, wasn't some stolen, lost(?), water damaged or some other misfortune (wherehouse broken into)?

The artist and inkers got a decent percentage of their stuff back, except for Kirby.

I thought I read Ditko didn't care to get his art back - (this I'm the least sure of).

So many Marvel history books that touched on the subject, it's easy to confuse them all.

It's probably safe to say that all the Marvel Ditko art that has been collected or is on the market never reached Ditko's hands from Marvel.

I don't see Ditko getting his art back and then selling it to collectors or dealers. It's just not his style, if what I've read about him (and by him) is true.

And it seems the majority (the ASM issues, at least) of his art has seen at least a representative page or three sold publicly, if not entire issues. If the art was returned to him, wouldn't he have gotten all the pages since he inked his own work (ASM)?

It's been mentioned before, but I bet some on here know where the art to ASM 1-5 is at.

Those would make an AWESOME IDW Artists Edition :D (hint hint)

Wasn't the cover to 28 sold to someone? I thought I remember seeing it in a photo.

If so, a question for anyone who has seen it personally:

Was the ASM 28 cover done in scratchboard? It looked that way to me when I saw the picture.