• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1976 Spider-Man Sign

6 posts in this topic

I have a couple of advertising signs that the Sacramento Bee used in their vending machines to advertise the upcoming 1977 Spider-Man strip. It was printed on heavy cardboard stock, measuring 17” x 11”. It looks like it could have been a pre-printed sign and the Bee just added their name to it. I’ve only seen examples from this newspaper. I’m just wondering if there are similar signs put out by other newspapers or was this unique to the Bee. Has anybody seen these signs with a different newspaper name?

Also, any guesses as to who did the artwork? It’s hard to tell since it’s such a generic pose without much detail. Side note: Scoopy Bee (the newspaper mascot) on the sign was designed by Walt Disney in 1943.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

spideysign_zps08d2bae5.jpg

Thanks for the info.It does look like Romita art. Initially, I thought it could be Larry Lieber (Stan Lee's brother), since he was the artist on the comic strip. But it doesn't look like his art on the strip.

Has anybody seen any similar signs? The reason I'm asking is I don't think it's unique to the Bee. The sign looks like a "template" with an area to plug in the newspaper name. I'm guessing this might have been distributed to different newspapers to promote the comic strip. Anybody back in the latter part of 1976 recall seeing something like this in their area?

Thanks for the info.It does look like Romita art. Initially, I thought it could be Larry Lieber (Stan Lee's brother), since he was the artist on the comic strip.

From that era, Johnny Romita did the art.

19770103.jpg