• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spotting restoration "on the fly"

9 posts in this topic

Although I am not yet in the market for books that are likely to be restored (siver/gold keys), I am curious how everyone here looks for restoration at a show or shop or anyplace where an in-depth check of the book isn't really available. I have seen a lot of people plop down serious money for a comic after not much more than a glance or two. I know that buying from reputable dealers helps, but that is assuming they have detected the restoration themselves. Can all or most resto be detected with the naked eye? What about professional color touch or glue? Is there any way to check for these things accurately "on the fly", or does it just have to be sent in to CGC with your fingers crossed? Aren't there types of resto that can only be detected with a blacklight and some that can't be detected at all? Kinda hard to lug a blacklight and microscope through a con.....

Yes, I think there are some types of resto - or some resto processes, that can;t be detected. What are they? Danged if I know. But if anyone says they can detect all resto all the time I would have to doubt their credibility. And CGC (to their credit) deosn't claim to find all resto all the time.

We have discussed this before but not sure where this particular topic of detecting in a show environment came up. I will ask a dealer if I can take the book into better light...never had a prob with this.

I do feel that most resto can be detected without any special aid except for good lighting, good vision and knowing what to look for. Things like color touch, piece replacement, staple replacement or staple cleaning etc. can usually be found out in the show environment under a good light. (I do take a magnifier with me to examine suspicious areas.) Basically you have to get experience with restored books and know what the variuous processes can look like. There actually is no shortcut to it, unfortunately. Although some resto is immedialtely obvious.

Although I am not yet in the market for books that are likely to be restored (siver/gold keys), I am curious how everyone here looks for restoration at a show or shop or anyplace where an in-depth check of the book isn't really available. I have seen a lot of people plop down serious money for a comic after not much more than a glance or two. I know that buying from reputable dealers helps, but that is assuming they have detected the restoration themselves. Can all or most resto be detected with the naked eye? What about professional color touch or glue? Is there any way to check for these things accurately "on the fly", or does it just have to be sent in to CGC with your fingers crossed? Aren't there types of resto that can only be detected with a blacklight and some that can't be detected at all? Kinda hard to lug a blacklight and microscope through a con.....

Almost all of it can be detected without a blacklight or microscope if you know what you're looking for. For a much longer and more thorough discussion on the topic, see the post that is tabbed at the top of this forum re: detecting restoration. Povertyrow and some others spent a lot of time detailing how to spot various types of restoration.

Also, Steve B. has said in the past that CGC only uses black light to confirm what they already think is there from looking at the comic.

I will read it thumbsup2.gif. I guess I was asking more about what people do quickly at a con to detect resto and what people are satisfied with as far as checking for it. Do you just look at it in the light and check reflexivity or do people bring magnifying glasses? Do you often check for color touch? How many people don't check at all?

I will read it thumbsup2.gif. I guess I was asking more about what people do quickly at a con to detect resto and what people are satisfied with as far as checking for it. Do you just look at it in the light and check reflexivity or do people bring magnifying glasses? Do you often check for color touch? How many people don't check at all?

I drag Borock around with me from booth to booth. confused-smiley-013.gif

Isn't that what everyone does?

The quick and easy things I do which catch most restoration are:

Examine the cover at an angle looking for differences in reflectivity indicating color touch/pieces added..

Examine the inside of the cover for color bleed through from amateur color touch.

Examine the staple areas on the inside of the cover to check for reinforcement/glue etc.

Run your finger down the spine. Glue is typically rough feeling whereas the normal paper is not.

In general, the more restored books you look at, the better you will be at picking it up.

Hope this helps.

Here's what I do:

Rule #1: I try to buy only books from original owner collections.

Rule #2: Always interview the seller.

Rule #3: When you find the real deal, don't be afraid to offer good money.

Rule #4: See rule #1

When I simply HAVE to buy books that have been resold, I either send these in to be CGC graded, or I resell them without any representation as to restoration.

Examine the cover at an angle looking for differences in reflectivity indicating color touch/pieces added..

Examine the inside of the cover for color bleed through from amateur color touch.

Examine the staple areas on the inside of the cover to check for reinforcement/glue etc.

Run your finger down the spine. Glue is typically rough feeling whereas the normal paper is not.

In general, the more restored books you look at, the better you will be at picking it up.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, it did help! thumbsup2.gif I was just wondering what people do for a quick check at a show. thanks.

Hope this helps.

Those are fine tips 143! Most succinct and they will reveal a good perecntage of the most common restoration!