• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage and Preservation: Silica Packs

5 posts in this topic

Who doesn't like a little background?

I live in the subtropics in Australia... In the height of wet season it gets pretty full on and mould and mildew becomes a major issue for leathers, clothes in the wardrobe etc etc... When it's really cranking, cardboard gets soft to the touch.

Amazingly, I've never had an issue with my comics. (Way to jinx myself). I keep all my books in "Danland".. and they are stored in bags/boards (some cheap, some mylar) and within comics boxes. My slabs are stored within Mylar or within the standard CGC default bag and most are kept upright in plastic tubs (minus the lids) - the rest are on display.

I'm pretty strict about how I keep the room... during the day the sliding door to outside is closed and all glass is covered by a blackout curtain. The door to the rest of the house kept shut - all in all a very dark environment.

At night I open up the curtains and sliding doors and get the overhead fan going and turn over plenty of fresh air throughout the room. I get up at sparrow fart each day for the gym, so I shut the doors/curtains etc then to ensure the light level doesn't get too high in there.

So far, despite the dark being mildew's best friend, I've had no issues.

This Sunday, (Saturday for most of you) is "Australia Day"... Australia Day is a day full of traditions... Imagine the BBQ sizzling, the swimming pool full of friends, cold beer, lamingtons and the Triple J Hottest 100 count down cranked on the stereo. (Music lovers can tune in and stream live here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100/13/ )..

My wife and I are hosting the party this year. We're pretty much the last of the child-free couples out of groups of friends - so we're running around making sure there are plenty of things there to keep the kids occupied while all the mums and dads can smash away a well earned beer and scoff down a snag or two.

Earlier I dug into a plastic tub in the wardrobe to pull out an Aussie flag for the day and the inside of the tub reeeeeked of the early signs of mildew. Never had an issue with that tub before.

Never had an issue with the comics before. (Probably more good luck than management).

The OCD in me started making geeky connections between the warning signs in the wardrobe where there haven't been issues before and the comics which have also never had issues before.

So, bloody verbose way of getting around to asking if any of you guys who deal with fluctuating weather employ things like "Damp Rid" packs or silica packs to assist with regulating the moisture levels in your collections?

If so, would you stick silica packs between your comics boxes or would you stick them inside the comics boxes front/back/sides of the rows of comics?

We've been incredibly lucky so far this summer - there really hasn't been much rain... but it's bound to start bucketing down soon - so I figured I should not only spend a bit of time fixing the wardrobe boxes before they go manky but also take some proactive measures in the comic collection too.

Love to hear your thoughts.

A dehumidifier in the room where you keep your comics would help, at least during the steamy time of the year. I'm hesitant to add any foreign substance anywhere near my books, but silica packets sound like a good idea. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I could tell you if that's safe for your comics or not.