• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Pedigree Hierarchy?

222 posts in this topic

Is there any general consensus on the hierarchy of the various silver age pedigrees?

Bethlehem

Big Apple

Boston

Bowling Green (not still a pedi?)

Curator

Green River

Mass

Northlands (added)

Ohio

Pacific Coast

Rocky Mountain

Savannah

Suscha News

Twin Cities

Western Penn

White Mountain

I know the Savannah books generally are thought less of (due to page quality)

I know Pacific Coasts, and (I think) White Mountains are thought highly of...

is there any preference of pedigrees?

:gossip: .... you left Northland off the list.... and they are terribly fantastic. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Western Penn's and Curators are the two that usually seem to rise to the top in these types of discussions..... but I've never seen either in the flesh.

:gossip: .... you left Northland off the list.... and they are terribly fantastic. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Western Penn's and Curators are the two that usually seem to rise to the top in these types of discussions..... but I've never seen either in the flesh.

Added Northlands.

Let me know if I missed any others... It was tough to parse out GA peds vs SA peds vs GA peds that extend into the SA....

There are others I'm sure who would know LOTS more, but from what I have seen (I own a few copies of about half of these) I would put Pacific Coast at or near the top, Savannahs (on second thought no) & Twin Cities close behind, Bethlehems somewhere in the middle & Rocky Mountains toward the bottom (I've seen more than one 9.8 with yellowed back cover).

Curators are awesome, you can tell just from the auctions but never seen one in person.

I would take Suscha News off the list - Bronze books are amazing but the few in the Silver Age are not all that.

For completeness maybe add Mound City - maybe not a ped per se - a lot of these books have dust shadows.

This is as good a place to ask as any - I've always been wondering, what exactly are the Curators?

This is as good a place to ask as any - I've always been wondering, what exactly are the Curators?

...... the most bizarre (arguably) of all the Pedigrees..... supposedly amassed by a museum curator and kept in the museum's climate controlled environment.... finally to be sold offf to fund the gentleman's sex change operation.... this is NOT a joke. GOD BLESS...

so, not surprisingly, we've done this before:

Follow up: Rank the Silver/Bronze Pedis

My answer then:

1. Pacific Coast*: Best combination of quality and breadth. The outrageous later DCs that have been in Heritage's recent auctions are perfect PC books to me. Titles that a lot of the SA pedigrees don't include in grades that are unheard of in general from books of the period.

2. White Mountain*: Great quality, amazing breadth. My single most wanted book is from WM, by the way. The DD#1. The FF#1 is pretty high on that list too.

3. Western Penn*: High quality and, from what I gather, pretty deep.

4. Curator*: Insane quality.

5. Massachusetts: Seems like a fat pile of early Marvel 9.4s and 9.2s to me. I don't know enough detail to rate it any higher.

6. Bethlehem*: Too many VFs to rate any higher, WAY too many books to rate any lower.

7. Boston: Phenomenal quality, nice DC representation, not early enough to rank any higher (unless I'm mistaken and there are a bunch of keys out there.)

8. Green River*: Really nice books, not terribly deep/important.

9. Northland*. Nice books, but I don't really know enough about it at all beyond the books that I've seen, so I stick it here.

I'll repeat it here, since I like to repeat it often- I'm looking for ANY and ALL White Mountain Daredevils.

As I wrote the last time this topic was discussed, the hierarchy depends on the publisher and years that one favors.

Being a Marvel zombie, I'd go with the Pacific Coast collection for phenomenal breadth and structural preservation, and the Curator collection for paper preservation. The White Mountain collection is heralded for the quality of its pre-hero books and keys, and the Western Pennsylvania for its early DCs, but both have weaknesses in either quality (WM) or breadth (WPA).

I'm also really fond of the Massachusetts and Twin Cities collections, which have beautiful white cover stock with bright inks, but like the Pac Coast collection, they lack the ultra high grade comics from before 1962.

The Savannah collection had 40,000 books. That's pretty impressive to me. It also has lots of cool early DC's in 9.0-9.6 condition. I can deal with Cream to O/W.

The Marvels were, shall we say, disappointing.

The Savannah collection had 40,000 books. That's pretty impressive to me. It also has lots of cool early DC's in 9.0-9.6 condition. I can deal with Cream to O/W.

The Marvels were, shall we say, disappointing.

the Twin Cities books were being offered at the same time. Collectors had their pick of the litter for sure.

I grabbed a few 7.0 early Savannah Avengers. they were pretty beat up. A lesson hard learned in comic storage conditions.